Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is anybody done with the Tube vs SS thread wars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wrong-Note Rod, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    Every week theres a new one. "I bought XYZ and now I'm done with ABC".

I'm at the point, even after posting yesterday looking for a new pickup...

that I have a ton of stuff, its all perfectly capable of delivering great sound, the only limits to it are my playing, and theres no reason for me to buy anything else.

In other words, if I cant get it done with all this stuff I've got, its not the stuff, its me.

In light of that, it would be pretty silly to junkheap everything I own, and go another route of SS/Helix/Katana etc etc, and expect a different result, with a different pile of NEW junk.

I'm not going backward or forward or done with anything. I'm using what I got.

I might get a Nashville Tele or make one at some point in the future. Thats about it.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I love my tube amps, until I have to take a guitar and amp on the bus. Then I love my SS amp.
    I agree 100% with you. Use what you have to its max and obsess less.

3. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Simple..."Ying & Yang" it -- "straddle" the red-line in the sand!

I have a tube amp (Fender Super Reverb) AND a solid-state amp (Line6 112).

Telepathist and cactusrob like this.

4. swingtime

swingtime Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    No Tube vs SS thread, no forum ...

dlew919, Joe Sailor and waparker4 like this.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more

Beatbx, Mr Green Genes, Billc and 3 others like this.

6. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    I don't mind if people are speaking from the heart, but it is a little juvenile and tiresome, like when a child says 'I love hot dogs and want to eat them for every meal for the rest of my life: I will never eat beef again'

There is room on the table for a lot of different food. And it is no sin to weary of what you ate for 10 years and try a change... even if it means going back to what you said you would never eat it again

No one is keeping score or tracing disloyalty to an amplifier

sjruvolo, PhredE, dr_tom and 2 others like this.

8. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    I have both as well and agree most times it is the player not the amp, but i have never compaired them flat out, but the base tones from all three sound very different so keeps me happy.

Also not really one for this is better than that, just get the best out things you have i say.

thefruitfarmer and PhredE like this.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I'm in full agreement and is where I'm at mentally too.

Oh wait, this is already becoming one of "those" threads.

Hmmm ... I love bacon.

Mr Green Genes and RetroTeleRod like this.

10. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    They're both tools to do a job - to help you make music, or force your will upon unsuspecting air particles - your choice.

Sometimes, a grab n' go SS combo ticks the box.
    Other times, nothing but an all-tube behemoth will scratch that itch.

There are other gentler, acoustic times, but we don't discuss those in polite company...

Billc, PhredE, Evil Funk and 3 others like this.

11. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    The other day I was switching between my Champion 600 and my Quilter Aviator 8. Messed around with the Quilter for 15 minutes or so until it sounded almost exactly the same as the Champion 600. Then I plugged into a different amp to compare that sound. Then I plugged in my pedal board...

In 45 minutes I had not played one single song. :(

12. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    At the risk of indulging in yet another SS vs. Tube thread...

It would be nice for people to recognize that although modern marketing trends demand that SS amps proclaim to sound just like tube amps, they're just something different entirely. Tube amps have a sound, and SS amps have a sound.

We all have our preferences in tone, but at the end of the day they're 2 different animals.

I honestly think most of the debate stems from the fact that there are so many bedroom guitar players these days. Here's the significance:
    - When 99-100% of my guitar playing is alone (without a band), then I want my guitar to sound as warm and full as possible, because obviously there are no other instruments to fill in the gaps. Tube amps are notorious for being able to sound warm and full. SS amps are generally (not always) not quite as warm. Therefore, a solo guitar through a SS amp isn't usually covering as much sonic territory as a tube amp.
    - HOWEVER, in a full band situation, my guitar doesn't NEED to cover all that ground. It doesn't need to have a big, full low-end, that's what a bass is for. It really just needs to occupy the upper-midrange and stand out when appropriate. A tube amp can do this admirably when set correctly, and so can a SS/modelling amp.
    - I'm primarily a bedroom player myself, so for the longest time I was looking for OD's that had a nice big bottom end, and was constantly looking for ways to beef up my guitar signal to sound as full as possible. But then I started playing live and realized that all that low-end was completely lost in the mix with the rest of the band.
    - It was pretty eye-opening to listen to some master tracks of famous guitar-driven songs to hear the guitars singled-out. More often than not, the tone falls a lot closer to that "ice-pick" than I'm comfortable with... but it sounds great in the mix. For real, check out some of the Beatles master tracks highlighting the electric guitars, just make sure to turn your volume down first!

I'm no guitar historian, but the advent of the SS amp makes total sense for the gigging musician. Light-weight, not nearly as fragile as a tube amp, and gives you all the frequencies necessary to cut through the mix. Does it sound just like a tube amp? Usually not. Does it need to to sit well in a band mix? Usually not.

AlterEgo, Evil Funk, Obsessed and 3 others like this.

13. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nah, bring it on! What would the TDPRI board be without the ever-recurring debates about tube vs. SS, lacquer vs. poly, maple fingerboard vs. rosewood, Fender vs. Squier, cover bands vs. original bands, preamp vs. power tube distortion, high action vs. low action - need I go on??? Why go to all the trouble of thinking up some new, fresh original topic when there are so many "classic" threads to rehash again and again? The search function takes way too long, I don't have that kind of time. ;)

BuckSatan, PhredE, dr_tom and 3 others like this.

14. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I dont care about tubes or SS anymore or whats better.

Its still going to sound like me.

Thats really it, in a nutshell.

Sounds Good and MilwMark like this.

15. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    TWO AMPS ENTER, ONE AMP LEAVES!
    [​IMG]

jigncraw, AlterEgo, awasson and 7 others like this.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    What?
    And go back to tonewood, nitro and relic debates?
    At least this subject has some concrete data behind it and there is some small chance info will be shared and learning will result.
    Plus, how can we dissect new gear without comparing it to old gear?
    Especially when most new gear using new tech touts itself for sounding like old gear but with vastly more complex signal paths and user interfaces, combined with inevitable obsolescence.

Sorry, didn't mean to do that...

17. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    ^^

then perhaps you could simply say -

"to the OP, NO I AM NOT."

telemnemonics likes this.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Maybe what we really need is to figure out how to make the audience care.

19. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    haha! I know how to do that!

"25 bucks to the next person out there who can tell me what a clipping diode is and why I should or should not use one"

telemnemonics likes this.

20. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2003
    Denver
    Yes. After this oldtime Fender guy got a Quilter Micro Pro, the debates became meaningless to me (and my surf band). I haven't used my Showman head in almost two years (for either indoor or outdoor gigs), and it's weight (7 lbs) is pretty fab.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.