Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

is a holy grail reverb worth fixing?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by eljayski, Dec 17, 2009.

1. eljayski

eljayski Banned

hello. fired up the reverb a few minutes ago and get a nasty buzz and a "tick" sound at about 2 second intervals. checked cables, etc.

the end?

never thought about fixing a stomp box; are there shops who can do?

many thanks! eljayski

2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Poster Extraordinaire

Does it do it throughout the knob rotation? If not, it is probably repairable.

But the buzz almost sounds like an issue of a wire or something that isn't making proper contact.

Also - are you checking it in isolation? I've gotten the click thing before, but it was other pedals in the chain.

Considering that the new Nanos are $120, if you can get your unit repaired for around $40 or so, it might be worth it. That's probably wishful thinking, but you never know. The new ones are SMD construction, so 9/10 when one of those dies, the party is over. The older ones could be SMD as well - I've never disassembled mine.

If you don't feel discouraged to have a peek inside, it might reveal something.

Good luck!

3. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's

I'd check the PCB for burn marks. The Holy Grail is notorious for burning up a certain resistor in the power stage of the circuit. Can't remember offhand which one it is though, but it'll be black if that's the case.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Poster Extraordinaire

It's probably the 47 ohm job on the power input. At 500mA, yes it's the big suspect. Folks like to replace it with an epoxy rectifier diode, as you get a similar voltage drop and it handles the juice much better. I believe that they use a 1N4002, but don't hold me to that.

6. yonie

yonie Tele-Meister

Sounds to me your power adapter might simply be noisy. Tried another?

7. mlweidl

mlweidl Tele-Meister

i had the same problem with the orgional holy grail and i returned it and am living with the reverb on my ac15cc(which i still dont like) but as i progressivly become a better guitar player i like it less and less(but thats just me) so i think scratch the reverb and get a better one that isnt from EHX. Ehx reverbs tend to be pretty noisy UNLESS.... you go for the holier grail or the holyest grail which truely are the "the holy grail of reverb pedals"

8. yonie

yonie Tele-Meister

Did you use proper powering? I have an EHX Holy Grail Nano right here that does not produce any sound at all, but only after i changed the power supply to a proper (non-generic) one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.