Is a child believing in Santa Claus a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Dec 4, 2018.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

my kid came home from day care one day and asked "Dad is Santa Real ?" she'd be all of about 7 yrs old, my reply to her was "do you believe in Santa?", and I suspect her not wanting to give up agood thing replied,"YeaH" I then said "Good because the day you stop believing is the day he goes away and never comes back" I squeeked out 2 more years before she let on she knew!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My youngest still believes, and the older two help her go with it. I see no harm. Only fun and good things.

3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I saw Santa at the Mall yesterday … I believe :)

Jakedog likes this.
  4. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Meister

This is all about the 'magic' of Kids and Christmas and I for one try my best to maintain that magic for as long as possible.
    As for kids growing up quicker these days, well, they may wear the trappings of adulthood but I know I was far more mature at 20 than any of my kids are at 30. A sign of these not so brilliant times.

5. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

When I told my 10 year old to hurry up and mail her letter to santa, she replied "so mail it to you?"....

Shes been skeptical for a few seasons and it seems she's figured it out. Similar handwriting Santa and a general cynicism about holidays and deities probably didn't help.

No betrayal or hurt feelings. We talked it out and she seemed to understand the goodwill behind it. She recalled all of the ridiculous stuff we did to sell the illusion. Glitter boot prints/half eaten cookies/letters from santa, and thanked me and my gf for all the effort we put into it.

While I can see the realist approach and wouldn't want to encourage or reinforce delusions, kids can only believe in magic for a short time before "growing up".

Owenmoney and stevemc like this.
  6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Santa Clause is alive and well in my home.
    We have two kids young enough to believe in Santa and everyone in the house, meaning the older kids, keep the secret and reinforce the myth.
    To those who believe in the magic of Santa Clause, Christmas is a magical time of wonder for them.
    Anyone who would rob a child of this very short time in their lives when their eyes lite up at the sight of Santa Clause, is just being short sighted. ( I had another adjective)
    The notion that kids are going to be traumatized when they find out that Santa is a myth is just dumb.
    Yes, one day they will grow up and the truth will come out, but until that day what does it hurt?
    Kids that are too young to grasp the complexity of world affairs have their whole life to realize that the world can be a hard cruel place, but those years when they can believe in something as wonderful as a fat man who fly’s around the world giving presents to every kid on the planet are the some of the most memorable years of their lives, why be such a rush to take that away from them?

7. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I was brought up in a largely non-religious home. My mum and dad would say they we CofE if asked - but I never knew either of them go to church other than for hatches, matches and dispatches.

I was brought up to believe in Santa Claus / Father Christmas - whatever - but was told there was no Father Christmas at the age of 5 by a kid at school.

I lost no sleep over this once my parents had confirmed what I'd been told. It'd always seemed a bit odd to me - even as a 5 year old.

When I got to secondary school (age 11 onwards - in 1972) I started to seriously question the basis of and enforced indoctrination of religion from an early age and one of the things I researched is where the whole Santa / Father Christmas thing came from.

Apparently, Saint Nicholas was of Greek origin and was (is?) the patron saint of children, brewers and pawnbrokers (amongst others). I've just checked Wiki and that still seems to be the case.

The presents thing was, from what I can gather, a form of behavioural control as kids were only to receive presents if they'd been good. Let's see parents try to apply that one....

One thing that tickled me was when I read that Santa's red coat and hat were originally green but that the big, lovable, red-coated and corpulent version of Santa is largely down to Coca-Cola advertisements.

Kids are growing up fast and questioning everything - and finding answers parents might not want them to find, via the internet.

JL_LI likes this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I still believe in Santa Claus, and hope I will as long as there are people filled with the spirit of Christmas and a genuine desire for goodwill towards ALL men. (even lawyers ;))
    But as I think about it, doesn't Santa kinda epitomize much of what we caution kids to watch out for these days?....Unkempt (beard), flamboyant clothes, sketchy source of livelihood, sneaking around and withdrawn much of the year? Plus he hangs out with that "freaky" Rudolph character.....sounds like an "alternative" lifestyle if there ever was one.....;)

stevemc, boredguy6060 and FenderGyrl like this.
  9. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Christmas is for kids, let them believe.

10. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I hope not. Those memories of believing and seeing your expectations usually come true are priceless. Most people can tell great stories about that special gift that Santa brought. Some regret never having had that experience.

jackinjax likes this.
  11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

My brother-in-law was very angry when he found out about Santa. His response to his parents was, "And I guess you lied about God, too, didn't you?"
    Ummm...

Manual Slim and Jakedog like this.
  12. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That's cool. My 7 yr old LOVES Christmas and the flipping Elf on the shelves is about to kill me. But she loves it and so I'm happy to oblige... Their inoccent years pass so quick and I don't want to look back and feel like I deprived her of that magic.

stevemc, jackinjax and boredguy6060 like this.
  13. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

This. Please and thanks.

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Santa is a great introduction for kids on how quantum physics and the Cashmere effect works.

15. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

At our house if you don’t believe in Santa all you get for Christmas is Sox and underwear.

Owenmoney likes this.
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It may be.

17. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I am an atheist, so my wife. We decided not to lie our daughters. Sooner or later they would have known. They are 7 and 3 today...

You know what? they have the same illusion than the other kids and is funny when small kids talk about Santa or other "gift imaginary creators" Here in Spain we have The 3 wise men. "los reyes magos" and many ancient others even before the Romans, and they look at me smiling and wink and eye. I told them that is a tradition and some parents decide to lie to their sons and not to tell everybody the truth but is up to them to do it or not

18. Utah Joe

Utah Joe TDPRI Member

When my daughter was about 3 she looked at me one day and said “Is Santa in our world?” I took that to mean that she was trying to figure out if he was real or not. She’ll be 9 at the end of the month and if she has any doubts she’s not letting on.

19. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

On the other hand, it's pretty much an essential thing to learn. Maybe that's the whole point? Give the kid some hint that adults aren't perfect and the world is full of lies. If you can think of a happy fun way to teach this to kids, be my guest.

The truth has very little virtue beyond the fact that it's true. Truth is neither fair nor nice. It's certainly not helpful in many circumstances. Most of our ideas and systems are based on nothing fundamentally true. Nevertheless, many if them generate more substantial value than any number of sticklers for truth.

If your child can develop some kind of a complex understanding of that, it's for the best. There's too many simpletons, puritans, and extremists already.

20. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

If you think Santa is dead I'm guessing you haven't seen the lines at the mall the past few years.

Far as I can tell Santa is killin' it.

Owenmoney likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.