Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is a child believing in Santa Claus a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Dec 4, 2018.

1. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Overheard a few younger gals at work chastising another for letting her children believe that Santa Claus is real.o_O

I guess the reason is that the child will be traumatized when they learn that Santa isn't real.

Then they were saying that they don't let their toddlers believe in the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy?

Man, are kids that much smarter now?
    Are they missing out on the childhood mystic we were raised with?

Damn...I must be getting old. I never knew that this was a thing!

bcorig, djh22 and nojazzhere like this.
  2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    What, all these aren't real?

The Easter Bunny
    The Great Pumpkin
    The Great Turkey
    Santa Clause & Rudolph

...then where did all those cookies go I left by the fireplace?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    djh22, nojazzhere and FenderGyrl like this.
  3. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I know !!!!
    I went back to my cubicle and cried!

:cry::cry::cry:

:lol::lol::lol:

djh22 likes this.
  4. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2016
    There's actually a bit of a movement to discourage "Santa" by parents who are sick of not getting any credit, and for poorer kids who might think that they weren't as good as kids who got more and better gifts "from him."

I'm not a fan of this trend, but I understand.

mitchfinck and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    FALLBACK RETORT: "It's the thought that counts..."

6. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    I haven't seen that firsthand. My friend's two boys are a year older and a year younger than my son. His wife was pissed at me when my son told her kids there was no Santa.

When my son was 3, I had a Report Naughty Behavior to Santa app. that I used for blackmail. I ended up hitting the send button one night and he instantly got a look of rage and hauled off and punched me square in the jaw.:lol::lol:

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    The smart kids work it out pretty quick, then they continue to pretend to believe in order to reap the extra presents.:)
    Schools have changed the customs to suit the new world dictators, large multi national corporations.

8. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2014
    South Hemi GMT+12
    I always knew there was something fishy about that bearded guy in that funny suit! :D

Truth be told, I was one of those kids that felt betrayed by my parents. BUT, it only happened really because of a childhood bully making fun of me for believing my parents - that was the gist of his mocking and attack. I defended my parents of course - only to find out that he was right. That was the embarrassing part.

If I wasn't made fun of, it would've been no big deal to one day finally find out. But the predicament created my sense of betrayal - although the real issue here was my misfortune of befriending a pr**k.

I guess that was my reason why my kids didn't grow up under Santa's shadow. We did give them strict instructions not to ruin it for the other kids that were still into it. We lavished them with gifts though - so they didn't miss out one bit. :)

FenderGyrl likes this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I think the Internet is making kids grow up way faster than wisdom would suggest.

10. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    Sad. I think if we do our part things will be warmly accepted.

R. Stratenstein and Driver3 like this.
  11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I sure hope not...they grow up too fast as it is, ‘sides, I still believe what I want

voodoostation likes this.
  12. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2018
    USA
    Bottom line is, at some point, the child finds out they’re being lied to. Finding out a trusted and primary source of truth fed you a line on purpose can be hard to deal with at any age.

13. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 21, 2006
    Space
    My family is Cuban, and for us Christmas Eve is a really big deal. Christmas Eve is the party, whereas Christmas Day you're likely visiting or receiving family at home, or going to church if that's what you do.

When I was a kid, we always had Christmas Eve at my uncle's house, and every year my dad would sneak off and make a big show for us kids (myself, my brother and about a dozen cousins) as though Santa were right around the corner. Stomping on the roof, ho-ho-ho-ing, making shadows with a flashlight and a sled-and-reindeer-shaped ornament, etc. We always freaked out and went to bed because if Santa arrived and you weren't in bed then you'd get skipped, good boy/girl or not (really quite brilliant on the part of the adults in the family).

Where all grown now, and all but a couple married, with kids of their own. There are about another dozen of those kids now, aged about 1 to 10, so we're in that sweet spot again. Ever since the oldest was 3 or 4 I've taken up the mantle of Christmas Eve Santa (my dad having retired once my generation in the family got "too old" for it), and boy does it ever work. Most of my cousins (now parents) didn't pay much attention at first, but ever since they saw their kids' reactions they've played along. It's an expected and anticipated part of every year.

My nephew is one of the oldest at 10, smart and always questioning, so he's been getting skeptical over the last two or three years, but even he gets swept up in it when the jingle bells start, red lights flash in the distance and HO HO HO's boom out. I know one day I'll have to bring him "behind the scenes", but what's cool about it is that nothing gets "spoiled" for him. Yeah, things weren't quite what you were told, but now you're part of making that magic for the younger kids.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    My grand daughter won't be old enough to drive by herself for another couple of months, but it became imperative that she have a car as soon as she got her learners permit. Kids are on a hurry up schedule to be grown ups that I just can't fathom.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Many moons ago, my wife was talking to her sister, and asked her if her kids believed in Santa Claus? My sis in law replied are you kidding? As hard as I had to work to put those presents under the tree, I ain't about to let some fat guy get the credit for it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    My father was a cop when we were kids, he used to joke that he was going to arrest Santa Claus for breaking and entering. We laughed at him because we knew Santa could not be caught by a cop. Kids ain't stupid. Santa is real until you stop being a kid.

17. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    My granddaughter is being raised as a literalist by two Jewish PhD's. At not quite 7, she's pretty exceptional. My wife and I were in California to visit for Thanksgiving and Ava wanted to take us to the March Field museum in Riverside to see her jet, seriously! She took us over to a T-37 that she said she'd learn on and then took us over to an F-15. I asked her what she'd do with an F-15 and she said "hunt MiGs" and took us to a line of them. What brought this on is that she wants to be an astronaut in command of a mission. She was told at an open house at the active duty part of the base that she'd need to get good grades, graduate from college, and become an officer and a pilot first. Her reading and math skills are way beyond her grade level. I don't see how children's myths fit into her world. I don't know that she's growing up fast. I think she's growing up at her own pace and her parents have all they can do to keep up with her. I had the same thing with her father and from what I'm told, her mother wasn't a typical child either. Ava wants to be an engineer like her father and was asking about Cal Tech while we were out there. If anyone designs a flying sleigh and takes it into space it'll probably be her.

telemnemonics, src9000 and P Thought like this.
  18. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I never liked any of that stuff when I was a kid. I felt seriously gyped when I found the truth and was mad and frankly uncomfortable and felt betrayed. I was like WTF?! It’s lying to kids. Why not just tell them it’s make believe in the first place but embrace and love the spirit behind each of them? No lying yet still enjoying and teaching the good things around such celebrations and their meaning. That should be enough without having to make up stupid stuff only to confuse and possibly anger the kids later.

19. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    My kids figured it out pretty quick. Neither were traumatized. We didn't make it blatantly obvious but I don't think we were as committed to the whole thing as some other parents.

Plus, we mess with our kids a lot. Gotta keep them on their toes. So I don't know if the Santa thing even registered as more than another one of the weird parental pranks / fictions they get all the time, except that this one results in a pile of new presents so it's all good.

Owenmoney and src9000 like this.
  20. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    I think it is funny you don’t believe in Santa. I am Santa now and so are many others who help give others a good Christmas. No Santa, really?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.