Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Iron Butterfly "It Must Be Love" Fuzz Tone

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Radspin, Sep 28, 2017.

1. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    When the next guitar player took over for Eric Brann, he was given the same guitar and Fuzzrite to use. I guess the band owned the stuff. Loved Eric's sound with that fuzz.
    Al

2. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I know, a lot of people and critics beat up on Iron Butterfly and I guess it's fashionable for some people to make fun of them, but I think they were absolutely great.

I'm going to have to re-visit the Fuzz Rite sound at some point.

On another note, I recently got an old Boss FZ-3 and I have to say it's a terrific-sounding pedal for getting a Sixties-flavored fuzz sound. You don't hear many people talking about these but it's a great fuzz.

3. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    I also have a Boss FZ-3 I bought used but haven't used much, I'll have to dig it out and compare it to the FuzzRite clone I have (can't remember which one it is, but it has the original looking box, have to check to remember the Brand and check if it is Silicon or Germanium, I'm thinking the latter). Too many fuzzes, too little time!.
    Al

4. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    I have an Electro Harmonix deluxe big muff pi, one can get allsorts of fuzz with that and even get wah with it also with a footpedal. Take a listen on utube see what you think.

5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    Are we sure that Eric Brann's FuzzRite was a germanium version?. Most of the clones I see say they are the original circuit used by the 60's artists but have silicon transistors. Mahoney (most correct Bosstone clone maker) has a FuzzRite copy but I think it's silicon, but I remember once in a while he makes a germanium one. Lots of others on the market that claim to be the "exact original circuit", but I think some are much closer to originals than others.
    Al

6. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2013
    USA
    Yes, it was definitely the original germanium version, no doubt about it, because the silicon version wasn't in production until after the recording of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    It seems odd that no one makes Germanium transistors, just for their sonic qualities. There is a small , but can be counted on, market that would be the same as tubes once folks heard what they re missing.

8. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    There have been a couple of modern companies in Europe that tried making the popular types of germ tranny's (AC128's, Mullard types, etc.) in the last few years, Small Bear tried a lot of them but the problem was that he couldn't get specialized Hfe ranges from them without ordering massive lots. He tested samples he got from the companies and they all had too low gains for what we use them for. I think it was a failed attempt.
    Al

9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Wow. I guess he was looking for a traditional circuit component to use to build GE transistor only circuits. As long as they have some gain it would seem like you could boost the signal first w either SI transistors or an op amp. Are they available? I ve googled GE transistors searching for a source and got nowhere. I would think less gain might be a positive, because the distortion would come on more slowly , sort of tubey, but w the GE harmonics.

10. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    At the time I saw them in the online catalog of one of the big electronics companies, sorry I can't remember which one!. They had AC128's and a couple of the popular Mullard types there. There was a lot of discussion of them back then on the DIY pedal forums (specifically Aron's Stompbox Forum, that I used to frequently check out, and still do from time to time, Small Bear posts there a lot). I hope it's OK to mention other forums here, guess I will find out.

The two companies that were putting them out were in Eastern Europe, as I recall. Steve from Small Bear just got samples from them, but all seemed to measure in too low gain ranges for Fuzz Faces, Rangemasters, Tone Benders and the like for his clientele.
    Al

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I went back and listened to Iron Butterfly's album's "Heavy" and "Ball" last night. I don't think I've heard them since 1969. Thanks for the tip for taking the trip! I love that fuzz guitar and combo organ blend. It defines the era in a lot of ways.

12. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I listened to the song on YouTube.

If I had to guess, I'd say you could get that sound with just about any fuzz (though a germanium fuzz would probably be better), and an EQ. Sounds to me like it is mid-heavy, with the lows and highs pretty severely chopped. Some of it is very reminiscent to Steve Hackett's sound on the earlier Genesis albums.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.