Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Iron Butterfly "It Must Be Love" Fuzz Tone

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Radspin, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I've been trying to figure this out for decades...does anyone know what kind of fuzz Erik Brann used on "It Must Be Love" from the Iron Butterfly "Ball" album? The "grinding" sound he gets on the middle and outro guitar solos doesn't like a Fuzz Rite to me...or anything else I've ever heard. I've tried to duplicate the sound using an original Fuzz Rite, Ashbass FuzzBrite and Catalinbread FuzzRite, using various guitars and amps, to no avail. And if it was a Fuzz Rite, how did he get it to sound like that?

It also sounds like he's using some other kind of fuzz on some of the background parts...or at least set the pedal differently.

I'm looking for that metallic "grind" as opposed to the buzz, sputter, splat or moan you hear from most fuzz boxes. Anyone know?

2. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    I've read that he used a Fuzzrite, but that particular track sounds more like a Gibson Maestro to me.

3. JJAdams1956

JJAdams1956 TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Los Angeles

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Its thru a wah-wah as well. Usually the wah would be after the fuzz, but here it might be before.

5. JJAdams1956

JJAdams1956 TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Here's a pic...I see a Vox wah pedal, a foot switch but don't see any other pedals.

[​IMG]

6. Radspin

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Hmmm...when I saw them live in 1968 they were using VOX amps so it IS possible he was using the amp's built-in fuzz.

Will have to look into the Maestro fuzz and also try a fuzz with a wah. I have a Boss FZ-3, Ibanez FZ7 and Fulltone '70 so I don't know if I'll get in the ballpark or not using a wah wah with those but it's worth a try.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

7. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2013
    USA
    Have you tried a germanium fuzzrite? Most modern "fuzzrite" pedals are based on the second version (silicon), the first version of the fuzzrite, as used by Iron Butterfly, was germanium. I've owned quite a number of fuzzrite-based pedals and the germanium versions sound very different than the later silicon versions.

Teleterr likes this.

8. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Better then it's punk counterpart, the FuzzWrong!

10. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    If it was a germanium fuzzrite, those things changed like the weather!! No really, the tone and way they reacted completely changed depending temperature and humidity. Some people liked the way they worked when they were colder, some liked the way the sounded when they were hot. It's hard to find two of them that sound and work the same, to start with, then add in the way they react to the climate. There is a reason that the germanium diode was replaced by silicon transistors in most electronics. They can be more musical, but not consistent or reliable.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Sounds Good, Teleterr and Jakeboy like this.

11. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    And didn't EVH's old amp tech who use to work at Vox in CA, modify EB's amps too??

12. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    So whatever happened to the guitarist? He was good for 17 yo. The bassist apparently missed a curve on one of those CA hill roads. He and his VW were at the bottom of a ravine for decades according to "Unsolved Mysteries".

13. artdecade

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    ^ Well, Erik Brann played with them for ten years. He died in 2003 of cardiac arrest.

14. Radspin

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Artdecade, no, I've never tried a germanium Fuzzrite or Fuzzrite clone.

I have a Black Cat Super Fuzz with what I believe are germanium transistors but it doesn't sound anything like a Fuzz Rite in either of its two settings. (It's a great fuzz in its own right though.)

15. artdecade

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Dentone makes a Germ clone of the Fuzzrite if you want to grab one on the cheap.

16. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    To me, it sounds like the guitar's volume is rolled back a bit. Many germanium fuzzes clean up nicely when you do this. The sound is not super saturated and sustainy.

17. brown meadows

brown meadows Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2006
    NC
    Cool, really love IB from that era! I agree it could be the Vox onboard fuzz or some combination there of. Tones on those records are hard to duplicate because of how they were recorded on that old gear. Great stuff!

Doug 54 likes this.

18. brown meadows

brown meadows Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2006
    NC
    I just gave that song a spin, and I'm thinking it's something like a Shin-ei Companion FY-2. Ball is a great record!

19. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Iron Butterfly, too funny, they played at one of my high school dances

Doug 54 likes this.

20. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    And he played a Mosrite gtr then.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.