Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

iPhone popup redirect?

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by Outlaws, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Outlaws

Outlaws Tele-Meister

Jan 16, 2007
    None
    This is only popping up on this site. Maybe the site has been compromised? Or is this a legit ad? It’s not popping up on any other sites so I doubt it’s my phone, but I am troubleshooting it cause it’s really annoying.
    It goes to a fake Facebook gift card giveaway page.

Attached Files:

2. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    The site is constantly monitored for hackers and malware. The companies that do this are illegitimate and they hide their redirect in plain old Google ads as I mentioned. And, if you think this only happens here - do an internet search for "my phone is redirecting me to fake Facebook gift card giveaway page" or similar. You'll see hundreds of thousands of folks with the exact same issue.

I just did this search and found 497,000 results.

Here, look for yourself:

https://www.google.com/search?q=my+...ook+gift+card+giveaway+page&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 1.24.12 PM.png

AAT65 likes this.

3. Outlaws

Outlaws Tele-Meister

Jan 16, 2007
    None
    Are we saying these are a fact of life on this site and there is no interest in even reporting them to your advertisers because it’s too much work? It might be a never ending cycle, but we shouldn’t allow it to run amok as par for course. This is part of site management. The site doesn’t even have an SSL now that am looking.

Ekko likes this.

4. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    No. "We are saying" that we don't have any control over this. If it's too much of a problem then stop using a phone and use a desktop or tablet.

5. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    I've never had this happen when using this site and I almost exclusively use an iPhone. I have seen a similar pop up on other sites. I use the the app version of TDPRI, and it's solid. I'm not a technical person, but I think in any most browsers you might be more susceptible.

I think it helps (with these pop ups you might get occasionally) to go to privacy settings and set "do not track," and to also reset the advertising identifier, clear Safari, and turn the phone off and back on every so often. I've probably gotten the pop up thing three times or so in two years, on different websites while using Safari, if I recall.

Might not be any rhyme or reason to it but it works for me. I try to close out all apps in the background, and keep a general level of vigilance, but scammers are everywhere, so when it rarely does happen, I close out everything and do the above steps.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

6. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    This happened to me the other day on my iPhone when I wasn't logged into TDPRI. Once I logged in the FB popup went away.

7. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
    Happens to me on strat-talk constantly. Makes the forums almost unusable.

8. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Happened here yesterday.

What a pain in the neck.

Yep, unfortunately part of good site mgmt.

9. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    If you're on a mobile platform I'd recommend tapatalk. Can access any number of other forums as well.

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    This has been hitting hard last 3 days.

Whatever ad company that's furnishing the "Fireside Direct" ad is injecting iPhone redirects and they need to be reported to your ad company so they can be blocked.

11. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Try 1Blocker for iPhone. Marketing will hate you for not viewing ads that you aren’t going to buy anything from anyway.

12. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh, this happens to me. But it's intermittent. Never happens on my iPad.

Started again yesterday, and annoys the sheet out of me. Hardly a way to escape it and get back to the effing site.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.