iPads, Laptops the club rigs of the near future?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 4pickupguy, Jun 11, 2019.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

With the prices of tube amps ascending and the allowable db levels in venues descending, it seems it just a matter of time before the most common rig is,... no rig. I see worship players getting pretty creative these days. Products like this seem to make it too easy.

If your whole rig could fit in your gig bag and sounded good, would you hop onboard? I hate the thought of not having some air moving on stage, are those days vanishing? Thoughts?

3-Chord-Genius and lefty73 like this.
  2. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

For the pro or semi-pro, absolutely. The air is already getting thin on stage, helped to some degree, by the capabilities of Line 6 Helix, Fractal gear, and Kempers. To me, those are just purpose-built "PCs" that run amp modeling and cabinet simulation software. Toss in the budget-priced superstars like Tech 21, and the wunderkinds like Joyo, and you might wind up asking yourself why you're lugging around so much iron.

I would love to use AmpliTube, Positive Grid, or similar software and go right to FOH. However, given that (at least around here) live entertainment is often an afterthought, I'd still likely be lugging a PA and monitors to the gig, which even with the components that comprise that set up getting smaller and lighter, is still a lot to lug, which negates the value proposition of having your amp and pedals in a notebook PC in a messenger bag.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I'm totally onboard. I have an annual downtown summer concert series gig with a contract that specifies NO AMPS on the stage. I play my Telecaster through a modeling gizmo that I bought for $50. There is a pro sound company that takes the output from my gizmo and does their thing. Gig pays $250 (per picker), and I've been playing it once a year for 5 years at least. I wish all gigs were this!

3-Chord-Genius and DonM like this.
  4. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Before my band disintegrated, I used a Flyrig RK5 straight into the PA. I also had a tuner, mini wah, and a Rat on the Pedaltrain Metro 24. We also used in ear monitors and it made load in/load out simpler for me.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I still see bands with half and full-stacks in clubs, but I think the reality is that most of that is for show these days, a cool-looking backdrop. Hard rock and metal bands do this because of the image, but it's really not necessary these days, as good as P.A. support has become.

6. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

As for laptops or tablets, I don't think so. Unless your only effect is your volume knob, most guitarists still need their feet to help shape their sound when playing live. I think there are better products than a laptop/tablet for doing that.

As for going direct vs. mic'ing up amps, I know a number of people who say that's the way of the future. And yet locally I still see most bands set up with amps. For big stages with full sound support, like what Junkyard Dog is probably talking about, going direct works great and I understand why the contract stipulates doing that. But for smaller spaces I think going direct changes the vibe and takes some of the "liveness" out of hearing a live band (even worse when using electronic drums to do sets full of Stones, Led Zep, White Strips and The Black Keys [yes, I have a particular local band in mind :rolleyes:] ). For me, I want that live sound to change as I walk around the bar; when everything is direct to PA it's kind of like listening to an mp3 recording on an iPod. But, I recognize I'm getting to be an old fart and the ways of the world will go on with or without me.

7. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

No amp? I'd just as soon stay home.

E5RSY likes this.
  8. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I'd consider it. I was about to get a Tech 21 Fly Rig 5, but then I spent the money (plus some!) on a 1979 DR. But, I do plan on getting back to the Tech 21 rig.

I really like the idea of hardly anything to carry, as long as the sounds I'm getting are reasonably decent.

I can work with the less pants flapping, not that I don't have fun with that at times.

9. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Plausible when a) you’ve got a competent FOH person, b) you’ve got control over your foldback system, c) can adapt to not interacting with your environment, and d) your setup allows easy changes.

Otherwise it’s doable but not very much fun

10. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

A Kemper is basically a computer... so the future is already here. It's just not equally distributed yet.

11. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

artdecade and Muddslide like this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm pretty sure all the tech exists to put a whole rig in a smartphone, probably even cram the soundman in there.
    It would require supporting electronics though, and until players are ready for it, and pioneering product would likely lose money for a few years.

If you stick to a setlist there is digital tech that can recognize the end of the last song and change settings before the next song, then switch fx as needed at the right times.

Should be possible for each members smart phone to communicate with other members phones and all send the proper signals to the board where the bands predetermined mix is adjusted according to outboard listening monitors in the room.
    So hardware at the instrument jack, the board, and in the audience.

When guitars are made of injection molded polymers with smart phone docks built in, the tube amp industry will be done for.

Certainly players use a tablet during performance, but I'm guessing that's just a primitive temporary method.
    Any need to tweak setting mid performance could be addressed with more sophisticated guitar controls for players who can't let go of incessant tweaking.

Nels Cline tweaks on a touch screen mid performance, but it's some sort of fx screen.
    He may not be ready to dump all his pedals yet though...
    Maybe due to having cultivated a rep that inspires audiences to care about guitar sound?

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I listened to the sounds and noted that all are perfect, sort of a college educated perfectly engineered elevator guitar sound.

Also noted that both Telecasters and the Strat, all sounded exactly the same.

NothingGoatboat and RetroTeleRod like this.
  14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Tablet and laptops are not rugged enough for gig and stage use. You want to rely on Windows booting or auto update shutdowns?

Joyo American Sound pedal, clone of the Tech21, for $30. Used in this video to go direct. Same to go into a PA system at a club.

'computers' as in programmable but can be more rugged than a laptop.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 12:43 PM
  15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

So, sounds perfect for cover/tribute band duties then....

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  16. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Whatever keyboard players were doing some years ago is where guitar players might end up. Think about wahs, trems, Leslies and spring reverb effects (they were all developed in a keyboard context). To that end I saw Herbie Hancock about a decade ago and he had a Mac Book onstage with his rig. I'm sure he used presets in there for all his electrofunk-era material.

I also think John McLaughlin was running a MacBook only rig a while back too.

4pickupguy likes this.
  17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought a DigiTech RP360 to plug into my computer monitors and have started using it for rehearsal and a live gig on the radio where we monitored through headphones. I'm not giving up my amps yet, but I'm impressed at how good these modelers and processors are getting. Six months ago I would have never considered it.

18. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't know if it's going to be a general purpose PC/Tablet for quite a while still.

There's still too much chance of it deciding to reboot to install updates during a song, or Facebook or something grabbing the audio control, or a text message/skype/whatever coming through.

19. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

The end user controls all these things, the computer won't do it if set up not to.

20. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I LOVE amps...but I see laptops/ipads/modelers as the future of live music.

Of that I have no doubt.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.