Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

iPad spam

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by raysachs, Mar 10, 2018.

1. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I'm having a problem using the site on my iPad. A spam ad will pop up (claiming to be Amazon, but I have doubts it's really them), and you can't close it or do anything to it. And then it reroutes the page to some promotion - again, claiming to be Amazon. It happens within a few clicks of opening a new browser window and accessing the forum. I've restarted the iPad, wiped off the browser and started again, etc, etc, etc. And it keeps happening.

There was a problem like this on Strat-talk a while back that affected a LOT of users and it was a paywall thing - if you were a paid member it never happened, if you weren't it did. That can't be the issue here though - I'm a paid member. So far, no problem on my Mac, but access from my iPad is impossible at this point.

Anyone else seeing anything like this? Is is related to the forum software in any way or is this strictly some malware I've got on my iPad? I've never had any problems with infections on my IOS devices, but this sure is acting like one...

-Ray

Mr.Ike likes this.

2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I haven't noticed it and I'm a mostly iPad browser.

3. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    It may be something on my iPad. If I'm the only one, I might just have to reformat the damn thing and (hopefully) reload everything from the iCloud... Seems fine on my iPhone. But it's only this forum. Weird...

4. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Clearing your history and cache might provide relief.

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Have you been on a public WiFi lately like Starbucks, etc?

This kind of problem occurs on mobile devices sometimes. I think clearing your history and cache could help as @Nickadermis suggested.

6. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Yeah, likely. I was traveling for a bit earlier this week and stayed in a hotel with their wifi, which didn't require a password. I just reformatted the whole thing and it's downloading all my stuff from the cloud now. Man, they make that easier and easier - I just put my iPhone right next to the iPad and it pulled a lot of the key information off of that, with a couple of verification steps. Probably not a bad thing to do every year or so regardless and I don't recall ever doing it with this iPad, which I think i've had at least 3-4 years...

Thanks for the suggestions, but I decided to go nuclear this time. If it happens again, I may try just cleaning out the history and cache...

-Ray

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2006
    Are you using Chrome? If so, it's going to be updated soon for iOS (and Android too) where it will block these sneaky redirect ads. They do tend to come in waves as "black hat" marketers find a way around Google Ads detection methods. I think we have yet another wave of them going on right now so that's why you're seeing them pop up a lot. I'm hoping the Chrome update will put an end to this nonsense shortly.

Selectively clearing the cache might help since some of these dirty tricks are cookie or HTML5 local storage based although it's a bit tedious to do this as compared to just wiping out everything.

asnarski likes this.

8. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    No, I've been using Safari. I used to use Chrome but had some issues with it I can't remember anymore. Maybe I should go back to it. I just reformatted the whole damn iPad and it's STILL doing it as soon as I try to use this forum. Nowhere else, but I can't literally open a thread here on my iPad without it popping up. I'll try Chrome. Hell, I'll try anything. It's not like I MUST see this forum on my iPad, but this kind of stuff really ticks me off...

9. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Just cleared my history and data from safari and that may have done it. I’m posting this on my iPad and I couldn’t get near this far before...

10. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    There has NEVER been a Paywall at Strat-Talk. You are totally mistaken.

Some folks signed up for Ad Free at Strat-Talk because they felt that it was a bad Ad that was causing pop-ups. Which is probably true in some cases. But there is no attempt at getting people to sign up for Ad Free by purposefully giving them a pop-up ad

11. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I'm sorry - I didn't intend to indicate that it was an intentional effort to get people to pay. I remember the discussion over there about this. It did affect non-paying members and didn't affect paying members, but that had something to do with tech issues that were beyond my ability to explain. I'm not at all saying it was anything nefarious or intentional - it just was. I mentioned it only because at the time it initially happened, I was NOT a paying member there and I AM one here now. So I thought that might be useful information in diagnosing the problem, had it been a system wide problem. Clearly it was a local issue to my iPad since I seem to have cleared it up by erasing my history and cache.

Sorry if I conveyed that impression - it was not my intent...

-Ray

12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I will agree there's no attempt but tools I have as an enterprise security admin have caught your ad sources as poorly screened. I've had crypto mining hijacking come up. I use Cisco Umbrella, Cisco appliances' AMP, and Cisco appliances' intrusion detection. It should be noted there are times when your site will stand out out on appliances and Internet connections that have 100-300+ users a day. There have been a few times at home when different security software has caught problems or a mouse over has caused problems.

I also know that it is difficult. I donate time to nonprofits and am on a team who administer their sites and moderate their forums. It takes a lot of vigilance. Your ad free option is certainly fair.

I'm only speaking of TDPRI here. I'm registered on other forums you have but generally visit this community.

Thx.

Tommy Biggs likes this.

13. TDPRI

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    The ad networks are the folks that are having the serious problems. We just provide space for them to run their ads. They filter the ads. They scan the ads. And, they screen the ads. They are the ones that are not doing a good job of scanning their inventory. We all are just the recipients of this problem. NONE of the ads "we" run have issues and we are 100% confident of that. But, the vast majority of ads shown on our sites - fully 90% - come from various ad networks and most of them from Google's ad network. That's where the problem lies.

14. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Just happened to me.

15. TDPRI

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    It has happened to me occasionally - not here but on other websites. I got the popup at MSN.com on my tablet just the other day. When it happens I recommend that you don't click anywhere on popup - not even the X to close the popup. Close the window on your iPad browser to dismiss the popup and the page it's on. Clicking ANYWHERE - including the X - on the popup will put the popup in your browser's History.

imwjl likes this.

16. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    I am having the same issue. I am using Dolphin. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Same issue.

In fact I'm posting this from my phone (android)as I tried to read this thread about 5x and it kept happening.

17. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I’d reformatted my iPad and cleared the memory, but that only helped very briefly. Then it started happening again. I’m not willing to clear my whole memory every time it would happen, so the only solution is to immediately close the window, wipe that last item from the history, and start again. That slows down the next occurrance a bit but it’s still happening way too much to use Safari to browse here. I just downloaded Chrome and I’m gonna try that for this site for a while and see if it helps.

This is an incredibly irritating nuisance, since most of my web browsing is done on the iPad...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Tommy Biggs likes this.

18. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    I have this problem on my iPhone from time to time on various websites. I use Chrome but all I see as solutions are always about Safari. So I tend to clear out both and avoid the site that was giving the pop up. It’s usually been on sites that have stories I’m reading, not a forum so I as this, I understand your frustration.

19. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    So far, it’s only happened to me on this forum. But a LOT. If it starts happening in Chrome too, I’m just gonna have to start limiting my use of this site to my Mac...

Flat6Driver and Tommy Biggs like this.

20. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Whew... It's gotten a lot worse or so it seems?

Has happened no less than 5 times in the last hour this morning.

Hate it for the mods to have to bother with these issues but they're gonna have to do something about it fairly soon, I would suspect.

If the problem lies with the ad network, time to remove that I'm afraid... It's getting worse and making the site impossible to view on iPad.

Update: make that 6 times.

Flat6Driver likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.