Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Intonation maxed out on Warmoth Strat

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mistercharlie, Jan 13, 2018 at 7:59 AM.

1. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    I have a newly-built Warmoth Strat, and the Wilkinson trem won’t intonate.

6206F1CC-481F-4B25-8619-FC05970F7AFA.jpeg

On the top 4 strings, the saddles are backed all the way back (longest possible setting), and yet the notes fretted at the 12th fret are still sharp of the open string.

Any suggestions? Can I perhaps shim the neck by putting a few sheets of veneer in the end of the pocket?

Warmoth installed the bushings, and the neck and body were bought together.

2. budgetbuild

budgetbuild Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2010
    virginia
    Which "top"four strings are you talking about? The high E string should measure 25.5 " from the nut to where the string contacts the saddle. The low E is usually about an 1/8th" further back. I just measured my strat with the same trek if that helps.

3. budgetbuild

budgetbuild Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2010
    virginia

4. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    The high e, plus b, g, d. The bottom E, and A, are fine. I’ll measure it.

5. budgetbuild

budgetbuild Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2010
    virginia
    Okay looking at your picture you need to screw in the screws at the back of the saddle to move the saddle back. Only loosen the locking screw on the top enough to let the saddle move then when you get it set tighten it down.

Mistercharlie likes this.

6. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    I thought the same, but the screws seem to work in reverse. I shall try again, though.

7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I'm thinking the same thing - it looks to me like your saddles for the high pitched strings are almost at their furthest forward positions. You need to move those saddles further back, right, further from the nut, if the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic?
    You got me worried at first since I am using this same trem on a new build and have already drilled for the studs, but I did a bunch of measuring first and it looked as if the factory stud positions for a fender would work out right for intonation.

Let us know how it works out for you,
    Rex

AAT65 and davidchagrin like this.

8. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    If that’s the case then I’m a real dummy. When I adjusted the saddles, the pitch dropped, so I was using that as a guide. Looking at picture again, it seems like you’re right. I shall check and report back!

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Also make sure your strings aren't stuck in the nut slot while setting the intonation.

10. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    All fixed! I was adjusting the wrong way. I cranked the screws back in and now the intonation is spot on.

At least until I take the neck off to fix a wiring problem...

Anyway, thanks for setting me right, folks! I think I may be getting overwhelmed dialing this thing in.

Barncaster and 2blue2 like this.

11. budgetbuild

budgetbuild Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2010
    virginia
    Glad you got it sorted. Nice looking guitar.

Piggy Stu and Mistercharlie like this.

12. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    A0B21C2E-49F4-4A5C-9BBE-46D0D8AAB6C9.jpeg

13. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Just loosen the strings and you can slide the pickguard out. That is less of a hassle than later fixing the neck.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Ha ha now you have to live with your simple mistake!
    Maybe you'll start a new internet myth.
    Good it was an easy fix...

15. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2004
    That's such a great color. Glad you got that sorted out.

16. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    How about a pic of where the saddles ended up when correctly intonated? And how do you like that tremolo? And one other question - does the position of the saddles when using the Fender factory standard stud placement, which I assume you have, place the strings very slightly towards the bottom of the guitar (in playing position) relative to the pole pieces? It kind of looks like it in your original picture, and when I located my studs, I found I had to move them about 1/32" higher on the body to be perfectly centered on the guitar centerline. That's normally no big deal but Barncaster, who made the pickups going on my build, said it was critical to get the 2 1/16" string spacing dead centered on the pickups so I got kind of anal about it. But my impression of this trem is that I am going to really like it.

Cheers,
    Rex

P.S. I echo what the others said about your guitar - beautiful!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 8:06 PM

17. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    The pickguard is tucked too far under the neck for that. There’s no way to slide it it out either, because the body is routed for three individual single coils, and it’s a tight fit. Maybe if I removed the strings it might just be possible, but changing the strings is even more of a pain than removing the neck.

18. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany

I’ll post a couple of pictures in a short while.

Interesting point about the pole pieces. With everything lined up over the fretboard, the bottom E doesn’t cross the pole piece of the neck PU. I have a wiring problem to sort out today, so I won’t know if it matters unto then. I did have to twist the neck slightly sideways in the neck pocket to line the strings up properly with the neck edges, but now it’s perfect.

I love the bridge, although I’d prefer it in chrome. I have it set up with just two springs, which is my preference on a vintage Strat trem. It also seems stable, tuning-wise, but I have some strings sticking at the nut, so it can stick sharp sometimes.

19. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Hey if you want to come up with some more problems, and start more threads that's fine by me just so I can keep stumbling on pictures of that beautiful guitar! I have a sonic blue strat build in the works, and I'm hoping mine will look as good as your pics when I'm done.

20. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I don't have much advice to add, especially since it seems you got it figured out, but I did want to post and tell you how gorgeous that Strat is! WOW!

Mistercharlie likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.