Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Intimidating players

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Mar 7, 2018.

1. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    Recording yourself at practice can really help immensely if your are constructive with constructive criticism coming from your self. "This was good and sounded better than I thought, so I keep doing that, but this really sucks and I need to work on that"(Set goals for yourself)

8barlouie likes this.
  2. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    Agree with Eskimo Mike, up to a point. Many years ago I stopped thinking in terms of better, best, contest, competition, etc. I can and will play with anyone. It's music, not sports. :)

8barlouie and Sooper8 like this.
  3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Im used to it , most guys play better than me , seriously

4. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

I have great respect for talented players of all types, but the most intimidated I've ever felt as a guitarist was at the concert from which the video below was filmed. Frank Vignola put on a 3 hour concert featuring Gypsy Jazz that completely eliminated any sorry ego I ever had as a guitarist. BTW- Frank is a really decent and humble guy.

t guitar floyd and sockgtr like this.
  5. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I’m not intimidated by any players. Not because I am better than all of them, but because I don’t think that way anymore. I think I had that mindset more when I was just starting.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  6. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Here
    I saw a Bill Kirchen interview where he was asked what he thinks about before taking a solo.

He responded, "Try not to suck!"

So, even the greats have to deal with self-doubt.

7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    True. My biggest breakthroughs have come at the times when I develop an attitude in my playing.

william tele likes this.
  8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    it is so important to be confident!

maybe others can, but I simply can't communicate what I don't *know*

getting "off book" is a big part of this

Tommy Biggs and 8barlouie like this.
  9. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I actually like some jazz - particularly jazz "fused" with rock - Return to Forever, etc. However, I'm a simple soul as I like to be able to keep up with the beat and hum the tune.

Sounds Good likes this.
  10. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    the first time I saw Tommy Emmanuel the announcer told a story that went something like this: Tommy was invited to play at a big Bluegrass/Country festival in Nashville. there were 100 or so acts listed on the bill.... his name was last after the sound man. the next year.... he was the headline

11. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    Yes i like Jazz "fused" with rock also, i inclued some of those type of licks in my playing because Shawn Lane i use to play alot, and also if you slow them down they can sound be very melodic as well. In some of my solos i sort of vary the speeds alot and most people think they are different passages but they are the same.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.