Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Intimidating players

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Mar 7, 2018.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I relate to the responses about individuals, like Tommy Emmanuel and Scotty Anderson. But in the spirit of the OP's more general question about genres of guitar pickers, for me it would be a toss up between bluegrass and jazz.

For me, it's just simpler to assume that any guitar picker I happen to meet is better than me. Sometimes that's not true, but quite often it is. I can be intimidated to not break out my guitar or to put mine down in the presence of greatness. That said, while I can be intimidated by better pickers, I also get challenged by them. I may be intimidated enough to not want to play with them, but never so intimidated that I consider laying my guitar down permanently.

WetBandit and T-bone Ted like this.

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    A guitarist who was waaay better than me once told me as he noticed I was tentative in my inferior playing:

“The trick to getting better is, you have to dare to suck.”

3. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    I like that you will never know unless you try, many just freeze up and say i cant. You have to beat your mind.

Ranchand23 and 8barlouie like this.

4. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    Yes most are bored by jazz guitar, i use to like the complete jazz bands with many instruments playing when a kid.

Paul Jenkin and T-bone Ted like this.

5. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    I'm scared by all that know how to play well, since I can't...

WetBandit likes this.

6. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs

Indeed!

The problem with sucking is that that you play tentatively, and that sounds bad so you feel/sound like you suck more than you do and it's a quick downward spiral.

8barlouie likes this.

7. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    Maybe I should have phrased my question like this.

What Genre of players would you not publicly challenge to a showdown?

I still say bluegrass for me.

8. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    I ll challenge anyone who can play guitar so that i can learn new things and steal them to incorporate into my playing.

8barlouie likes this.

9. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2014
    United States
    Honestly, I would likely be the most lost in a death metal group. What would I bring, my acoustic guitar, my c6 lap steel, my acoustic with a 50s dearmond pickup? I could likely figure the chords out alright, but there's no way I could fit in.

Bluegrass ain't that scary - I've played in a few bands - and jazz guys usually keep it towards semi-standards at open jams and often have a copy of the real book kicking around.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    This is a perfect example of why music sometimes doesn't work. I guess some folks don't understand rhythm guitar or the lead player wouldn't be copping your part. Just because you play "rhythm" doesn't mean you don't ever pick out riffy, notey, stuff. It almost seems like the guy was non-verbally proclaiming that you can't play those parts as well as he. Nobody needs that...

If he wanted to make the song work he'd do his best to play the part that makes the song cook and sound big. I have heard some killer lead players...but if they don't have even the simplest of rhythm behind them it's just a wankfest.

Simply put, really good players can spot your strengths and weaknesses in a heartbeat and capitalize on the former and avoid the latter...

And per the latest thread guidance suggestions, this applies to all genres of guitar player. Anyone can be better than you and anybody can avoid intimidating you...if they choose.

Fiesta Red, Sounds Good and 8barlouie like this.

11. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    ^^^THIS!

william tele likes this.

12. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Never really been what I would call "intimidated", although I have played with many players above my skill level at that point in time. I always just looked on it as a learning experience and would pick their brains for whatever I could get.

Sounds Good likes this.

13. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    Yeah, it was almost exactly that. Had I thought differently about it, I might have thought that maybe he did it subconsciously, but the whole thing was odd.

They had a keys player too, I questioned (to myself) almost why they even needed another guitar player. They would have been fine without a rhythm player.

william tele likes this.

14. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    the guys who have limitless stamina, endless ideas, and total confidence

I've played with a few, and they take it as their duty in life to expect you to keep up and give you the stinkeye when you don't

I believe there are better methods than intimidation as a default, but there's no question in my mind that there is a real place for it

as unfashionable as that is to say, nowadays

15. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2013
    Luna Louisiana
    I can't even watch that guy hurts my feelings. Lol

16. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    I changed my first post btw! maybe done on the spur of the moment, I meant no intimidation really, because music is music even some sloppy songs can sound good although i cant play that way myself.

17. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    I like this and yet very few bands have a rhythm guitar player, thats what i always liked about Lynard Skynard the amount guitars and back up rhythm the used.

This aspect i remember also in the 60s when i watched many local bands all nearly had a rhythm guitar and it always sounded better to my ears even then.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

18. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    Similar thing happened to me at my college audition. I was using a Bach Prelude in dm. As I walked in the guitar professor was warming up with that same Prelude in dm.

It all worked out, we had a great relationship.

Flat6Driver likes this.

19. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    There are sooooo many guitarists in the world, and even in just this forum, that are more knowledgeable than I am that I don't waste my time being intimidated. I will join in a jam in just about any genre and find a way to positively contribute. I won't be the best player in the jam, but I'll still be having fun!

sockgtr likes this.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I’ll play with anyone.

Clapton, Beck, Bryan Sutton , Thile - anyone.

Like others have said , a chance to learn. Plus , they’re used to everyone being crappier than them ! :lol:

99% of musicians are cool/not going to rip you if you’re not great.

If a better player did it to me jokingly - fine.

If it was nasty or came from a place of superiority ?

In my 20’s ? I’d punch them in the mouth.

Now ? Verbally eviscerate them. They may be a better musician but I doubt they have my specific set of crap-talk skills...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.