Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Intimidating players

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Now THAT is picker right there!

2. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    Pianists.
    I went to music college with a blind pianist. Another level of senses at play here.
    and whenever we were paired up into a group I just layed my guitar in my lap and soaked up her musicianship.

3. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Here
    Did anyone else pick up on the TDP connection in this video?

Downshift likes this.
  4. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Bend, OR
    I don't understand how this is possible?

T-bone Ted and johnboy99 like this.
  5. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2014
    South Hemi GMT+12
    Those blumin' calm and confident ones that turn up at a gig with a real crappy guitar (with shiny new strings) . I already know if they're smiling, they gonna whip myas and send me a-packin my fancy gear backstage! :(

But to be fair, I've been on both sides of this fence... :twisted:

6. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2007
    43.64 N
    Players wearing bumched shrits.

7. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Bristol UK
    Not a specific player or style of playing, but from what I've heard, if I ever travel to Nashville, I won't bother taking a guitar with me. ;-)

WetBandit likes this.
  8. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    It's been a lifelong habit that I've tried to win over anyone who intimidates me.

9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Yea, you have a point. Flatpicking (which is more than just bluegrass lead work on a flattop, a little less than country guitar started in the 1920's) has become pretty stale. The bluegrass pro's really go after it with soloing which is grand, but the contest folks are still playing the same 10 standards (which all are so over done, they gag me to even hear the titles). I blame the contest crowd for flatpicking's demise. And maybe the bluegrass crowd just a little.

We all know and sense that flatpicking is a cool thing, and can be [or was] very distinctive and unique from other instruments, but we've been fooled into a codified expectation of speed, limited tunes, and intolerance for non-signature licks and turn-arounds. Its very similar to hearing beginners learn stairway to heaven, and perform that for the next 15 years when someone notices a guitar and asks for a tune. Its been that way for about 20 years, with no movement forward, or no revival of its real foundation. After two tunes, you've heard every lick, phrase, note and capability of a picker, and anything more will sound the same. Because they jammed it all, cliche and all, into the first half of the first tune. Thanks a lot, contest judges...

I could write reams (and have, lol) about flatpicking. I guess I'll point to Doc Watson as having brought it out, paying tribute to its heros from the 20's and 30's and 40's, but moved into a band unit, conceding space to banjos and bluegrass. I'll point to Tony Rice as taking that lead and carving a new direction, perhaps even inventing a new approach to steel string guitar with his experimental albums that weren't bluegrass, but more jazz. But I give full credit to Norman Blake for having seen the changes happening in the 1960's and 1970's, and bringing flatpicking back to what it was, and proving that it would sell without the ketchup of bluegrass, or the superiority of jazz.

Listen to those very first albums of Norman Blake. That's what flatpicking was, going back to the same period as delta blues. Its also what was the best seller in the revival of the 1960's and 1970's. And also enjoy the superb bluegrass pickers today - absolute stellar instrumentalists. Maybe go to a flatpicking contest sometime - once or twice. But my advice, if you like the sound of flatpicking and want to learn it, and share it to others pleasure, start with Norman Blake and those who have followed his path. And avoid working the next 5 years on somebody's version of Red Haired Boy ;)

matrix and trapdoor2 like this.
  10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Finger pickers. It feels like mud is in my head when i try to do it.

T-bone Ted likes this.
  11. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Not sure where I saw or heard this but I hope you like it:

Q: What's the difference between a Rock guitarist and a Jazz guitarist?

A: A Rock guitarist plays 3 chords to 1,000,000 people....

Sounds Good and Obsessed like this.
  12. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I love to play with people better than myself. I would rather be the worst guy somewhere than the best. That's how you get better, but even when you're the best guy you can usually still learn something from the worst person.

13. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Every guitar player 'cos I'm a learner and not a very confident one. The ones I find particularly intimidating are the John McLaughlins and Al DiMeolas of this world. They can play ANYTHING and be awesome at it.

These guys also inspire me, in an odd way, just to try to get 0.1% towards their skill level.

WetBandit likes this.
  14. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    I am not sure any do really, music is any style so many ways to play it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  15. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    I went to an audition for a rhythm guitar position. As I'm warming up the lead guitar player, started ripping off the same parts I'm supposed to play. Better, and with better tone. I really should have just put my gear back in the case at that point....it went downhill from there.

16. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Generally speaking...jazz guitarists, especially those who fuse other stylistic genres & diciplines into their arsenal. They have both the technical facility & theory, to do what they please...Lenny Breau, immediately comes to mind

T-bone Ted likes this.
  17. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Me too. It actually frees one up when one can be confident that the others on stage will hold it together no matter what.

I’m not sure “intimidation” is the right word, either, ‘cuz I’m not scared of what they’re gonna do.

I’m scared of what I’m gonna do.

8barlouie likes this.
  18. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    I went to Music School outside of Nashville for my Masters in Classical Guitar. I was intimidated by some great blues players I went to school with, but now I'm a working blues/rock guitarist. :D

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I've seen a number of BG pickers in my time, and they are an impressive lot! I played bluegrass for several years, but it never really was my kind of music, and I realized I'm just not quick witted enough to be a true bluegrasser. I really got into it, if you're a BG guy you're supposed to be able to play everything so I got a bass, a resonator slide guitar, a mandolin, and a five string banjo. I went nuts on the banjo, I got lost in a daze one day when I actually began to play the thing, and played for thirteen hours straight by me wife's reckoning. (she said she left and came back several times during the day) I never stopped to eat, I must have used the facility, but have no recollection of it. I thought I was on my way to being the next Earl Scruggs. Oddly enough seeing Earl play live when he was well past his mid 70s is what caused me to QUIT THE BANJO! You're right, an awful lot of rock and country guitarist couldn't kiss some of those guys rear ends standing on their grandma's shoulders.

WetBandit and T-bone Ted like this.
  20. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    +1 I love to play with people better than myself. I think noah330 nailed it.

Used to sit in with a bunch of older jazz cats at a regular Sunday evening thing at a bar north of Pittsburgh. I was really the only one who sang and was happy to carry the melody/lyrics and hold down the rhythm on swing standards and pop ballads. The jazz cats would take turns on the breaks and were just a joy to play with, listen to. A lot of these guys - just for gainful employment - had performed, toured over the years with country, rock, etc bands so they were just fluent in 20th century music. I'm about 95% Ears & Intuition so I don't learn in any normal sense, but I definitely absorbed and incorporated many ideas from these sessions into my playing. They, incidentally, were fascinated by fingerstyle which is more my regular focus as a guitarist.

noah330, Toto'sDad and T-bone Ted like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.