Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Intimidating players

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Mar 7, 2018.

1. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    What genre of players do you find the most intimidating?

Like what type of players would you avoid, to avoid being served humble pie?

For me it's Bluegrass pickers...

It's not my style, but those guys seem like they could pick circles around most everyone...

To me at least, they are the most intimidating.

I'll never forget being in highschool and we had a free day and I brought a little fender combo and a guitar and so did a few buddy's and we sat in the tool cage in the welding shop and just jammed...

All of a sudden one of our janitors a pretty old run down looking guy who never really spoke comes around the corner asks if he can pick some....

OMG...that guy could rip some serious bluegrass like no other!!

Even carried his own real tortoise shell pick in his wallet.

You would have thought Tony Rice walked into that tool cage.

2. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Heh, I played in a jam session once with Lulo Reinhardt -- great grand nephew or some such of Django -- and he's the real deal gypsy. I've never heard anyone with those kind of chops before. Just amazing.

Mind, I don't get intimidated by better players. I figger my clams are other peoples lookout, not mine :)

ndcaster, Tommy Biggs and Baldfatguy like this.
  3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I took a lesson from from Jack Pearson once. Dude...

Catawompus and BB like this.
  4. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Anyone whose name starts with Tommy and ends with Emmanuel :)

4pickupguy, Tony474, dogmeat and 8 others like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Jazz players intimidate me. I have no idea where they are going and have no way to figure it out.

CJM3309, nvilletele, Area51 and 7 others like this.
  6. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Once you own up to your own personal suckage you'll never be intimidated again. Depressed, but not intimidated.

sockgtr, b2187101, joshigh and 11 others like this.
  7. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Better players have always been encouraging to me, so I don't feel intimidated. The bluegrass guys used to impress me loads because of the technical dimension, but I now find that genre mostly boring, with rare exceptions (Norman Blake manages to be musical and expressive, for ex.) It's become kind of a stunt style. The guys who really humble me are people like Julian Lage and Mark O'Connor (when he picks up a guitar) as they command such incredible technique that the technique disappears and you get pure music. Chris Thile on mandolin. I find any genuinely musical guitar player interesting and inspiring.

8. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    I'm intimidated by guys who know all them, whatchacallem, notes.

8barlouie, richiek65, Pualee and 6 others like this.
  9. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2006
    Arizona
    I was born and raised a bluegrasser. You aren't kidding! The pickers who are good are total ego crushers. I was playing in a jam at a festival in Flagstaff a few years ago, and Bryan Sutton nonchalantly walked up and joined in! Talk about intimidating!

But that's what I love about bluegrass. Pickers you've never heard of can be professional level musicians, and the superstars of the genre know its all based around the jam and often freely join in with us fans.

The inside secret is we only play in G. :D

To me this clip embodies everything that was ever good about playing music in a band. Look how much fun these guys are having. And good luck keeping up with any of them...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Whenever I've gotten to play with some real good pickers they did everything they could to make me sound good and find the best counter beats and licks to make me smile...

They could easily make me look like crap...I'm nothing, but they never have!:)

11. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Evergreen, Colorado
  12. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere

Just because something is intimidating doesn't mean it can't be inspirational...or encouraging.

I have always came away better from a situation when more fluent players are present...

They are just intimidating to be around while playing.

13. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN

What about Jack and Tommy together at the same time?

C10F36D8-A87C-4FFD-B57B-0737EB6C4FE8.jpeg

dan1952, T-bone Ted and BB like this.
  14. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I have always enjoyed being the weakest link in a band. I enjoy being the only guitar player, and all of the other musicians being way superior to me, but gracious at the same time of course.

15. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    When people start talking about what we're doing in technical/theoretical terms I freeze up.

johnboy99 and Fiesta Red like this.
  16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Interesting comments about bluegrass. I'm not a bluegrasser. I like to play acoustic, though. Not strummy stuff. Blues and rags, Piedmont, Chet, etc. Mostly fingerstyle, contra bass lines, etc.

But I also play (electric) with a flatpick. Hey, I could play some bluegrass, I bet. How hard can it be? :rolleyes:

Jeeesh....

Honestly, I'm not quite that dumb. But it was my first impression that this is fairly simple stuff. Led on by the rigid structure no doubt. So, I've been playing some the past couple years. Just a dozen songs, and mostly not up to full tempo.

Bluegrass is a friggin' blast! And a completely different headspace than any other genre, IMO. It's not about the speed, for me. It's about that almost hypnotic steadiness. Where some types of music are all syncopation, one single offbeat note in a bluegrass tune... can make the whole song. Not intimidated. Inspired, I guess.

Moving on... I tend to be drawn to the jazzier forms, such as jump blues, and western swing, but I can hardly stand straight up jazz. When I think about intimidating, I'm reminded of small master class I sat in on with Sheryl Bailey. Ms. Bailey is a pretty amazing bebop player, and when she described what's going on in her head as she plays... well, it's all numbers. Keeping realtime track of multiple levels of intervallic relationships. She had my head spinning, for sure.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    OK, yeah, that would do it. :lol:

T-bone Ted likes this.
  18. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Good chicken pickers and anyone named Django

t guitar floyd and moosie like this.
  19. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    This.
    This is when you're in the presence of a great player - s/he knows they are the big dog and don't have to prove it.
    So, they help make the others sound good, too.
    Fortunately, I've met many more of the gracious "better" players than the "intimidating" ones.
    This kindness is something I try to remember on the Blue-Moon occasion when I'm not the one who is bringing up the rear...
    Be kind, people.
    Peace - Deeve

20. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    Ain't that the truth. I remember a guest singer once asked if we could play a song in E. I was on banjo and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I was supposed to do with the drone string. I looked around and everyone was turned around trying to find a note or remember how to play a B chord or whatever. And one of the guitarists was trying to set a capo on the 9th fret :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.