Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Interview the person below you!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HoodieMcFoodie, Jul 18, 2016.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My favorite gig I have ever attended was Eric Johnson at Nicks Uptown in 89'. He was at the hieght of his tone and abilities. His writing and style all came together and he was just the best of the best. Add to that he had regular gigs at Nicks about every other month and each one was getting better. One particular special night had a band called The Cartoons open for him (friends of ours that were terrified at the prospect). Both bands had a rare magical night where the audience was putty in thier hands. By the end of Erics last (of many) encores, all the hanging lights in the club were swinging people were going nuts hanging on every note. Very, very special night of live music. I have never forgot it. At the table next to ours was a very gobsmacked Phil Collins who stayed until the end of the last song. They were screaming as loud as everyone else. Eric released Ah Via Musicom with the material of those days and won a well deserved Grammy.

Best gig I've ever played was my last with a band I really loved called Reatta. It happened to be New Years 1997 at our favorite room. It was a very special and emotional night. We were very relaxed that night because we were focused on just enjoying our last gig together. One of the tightest,most polished bands I ever played with and all great, talented guys. Folks that had followed us everywhere said it was the best we ever sounded and the most fun they had ever had with clothes on. That was the last time I played guitar for a 16 year stretch. I quit because of my sons deteriorating health. My wife and I both re-engaged in music in 2013, and I joined this forum. Its really helped us heal the loss of our son. Music is very special that way. That night could not have been any better. Sorry I rambled on so..

Do you feel you have peaked musically or not yet?

2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    No no yet. I actually feel I'm on the verge of a breakthrough to the next level.

(My condolences for your son.)

Favourite female guitarist?

4pickupguy likes this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Muriel Anderson, though Sharon Isbin is brilliant, too!
    Saw em' both!
    Favorite female bass player?
    Esperanza Spalding, para me!

4pickupguy likes this.

4. 4pickupguy

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I'll go with Tal Wilkenfeld. Her Transformation album was pretty good. But Esperanza is a killer player too. Both were cute as a button when they broke into fame. Both have taken left turns musically. Tal with a more coffee shop/less jazz direction and Esperanza with her very strange drama/jazz live thing.

Favorite female keyboard player? For me (other than my wife of course) would Marianne Mcpartlan. My wife has lately shown me some things by Patrice Rushen that are great!!

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    dlew919 likes this.

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Marcia Ball. That woman is one of the most entertaining live acts I've ever seen...

Do you have musical goals, or do you just enjoy the journey?

4pickupguy and brookdalebill like this.

6. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Marcia is great!
    Nice gal, too.
    I am a textbook journeyman.
    I live for the ride, I've been on it 50 years now.
    My goal is the next gig.
    It's school, every day (or night)!
    Are you in a rut, or still learning/growing?

4pickupguy likes this.

7. Fiesta Red

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Recently climbed out of a run, with the help of my daughter and a couple of apps that teach chords and lyrics...when I screw up the chord pattern and dump the original lyrics, I end up with a new song. :p

Has any collaboration between you and another person been very fruitful, musically?

My drummer and I have musical ESP and my daughter is developing it.

4pickupguy and brookdalebill like this.

8. 4pickupguy

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Many all from over the world on Sound Cloud.

If you could pick a jam session with anyone, who would it be?

9. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Lee Sklar, Steve Gadd, Vince Guaraldi, Errol Garner, and Lenny Breau.
    I'd play conductor.
    I hope it's OK to include dead guys, no offense.
    If not, Oz Noy or John Scofield on guitar, Diana Krall on keys and vocals, and Joey DeFrancesco on B3.
    Who is your favorite composer (songwriter, music creator)?

4pickupguy and RoyBGood like this.

10. Fiesta Red

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Billy Joe Shaver and Joe Ely always move the needle for me. I like how Robert Zimmerman turns a phrase.

Who is extremely famous as a guitarist that you just don't “get"?

11. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Bone A Massa
    Who would you choose to give you a private concert?
    Anyone in history, just that person and their
    voice and/or instrument?
    Lenny Breau, for me.

4pickupguy likes this.

12. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

Jan Akkerman on acoustic - having said that, I was lucky enough to be treated to this very experience in 1999 in a nearby 300-seat venue. I'd just like it again! He played the whole of his stunning 'Acoustic Passion' album plus other gems. The after-concert magic lasted for weeks.

Which band do you think deserved a lot more commercial success than they actually had? My vote goes to The Tubes; all superb musicians and songwriters who always put on an amazing show. If only they'd had a more supportive record company. How many times do we hear that?

Jack S and brookdalebill like this.

13. Fiesta Red

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I agree.
    I want to like him...I like his instruments and amps...I admire his business model/business acumen...I like his guitar nerdiness ("Nerdville")...but his music just doesn't move me...I have similar feelings about James Taylor.

Three bands--the now-defunct Storyville, Vintage Trouble and St. Paul & The Broken Bones

Which great unknown band is your favorite?

Mine is the Arc Angels...most musicians know them, but the average Joe on the street doesn't.

brookdalebill likes this.

14. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Denim, they were on Epic for two albums in the late 70s.
    The members did lots of other things, but they still exist, 45+ years on.
    They are my hometown hero band.
    Great singers, writers and players, wall to wall.
    They shoulda' been yuge, I tell ya'!
    What do you think of Randy Bachman?
    I'm a big fan!

15. Fiesta Red

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    He rocks...very overlooked and under-rated.

What's your opinion of Charlie Sexton (outside of his pretty-boy early pop stuff--which wasn't bad, either)

16. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Badass, nice guy too!
    And your thoughts on Doyle Bramhall Jr.?
    (I'll quit thread hoggin' after this)

Last edited: May 19, 2017

17. Fiesta Red

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I love his playing...a bridge between Hendrix and Gilmour and SRV, all in the best way possible. Excellent singer, good-to-great songwriter.

My wife was in love with his dad, too.

Favorite bassist?

Tommy Shannon or Bill Wyman for me...

18. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

Jack Bruce came to my mind first, so Jack Bruce it is.

Name a performance in a film you wish you could 'unsee'. Samuel L. Jackson as a government torturer in the gruesome 'Unthinkable' for me. Would happily undergo hypnosis to erase that. You have been warned... :eek:

19. Fiesta Red

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    The most recent Fantastic Four film was brutally boring and dislikable. There wasn't a single character anybody cared about, and the story was poorly constructed.
    I generally don't watch extremely violent or brutal films, so that's the worst I can think of right now.

What's your favorite "guilty pleasure" type of film?

I love the Marvel superhero films...

20. 4pickupguy

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Out of turn here, but , I have to say. I have distinct goal and the 'journey' appears to be in control. Stoooopid journey.

Other than our special wives, at what point is music no longer the passion of your life? 70? 72? 75? (This is where I derive so much inspiration from people like Woodman! Prolific, creative, engaged and still in the game, making music for the right reasons. Passion!!!!!!!!! love of music separate from ego, and no other reason than creative release...!!)

Last edited: May 20, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.