Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Interview the person below you!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HoodieMcFoodie, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Oranges of all sorts (hence, "Fiesta Red") and blue...although I generally don't like blue guitars for some reason.

What color do you dislike the most (not just guitar finishes)?

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Yellow
    In guitar finishes, Antigua.
    Ever "lose" an audition?

3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Los Vaqueros (chow hall 1)! We do Los Vaqueros when we need to get back to the office quickly. however the best place around is a little off the beaten path and its called Dos Melinas (chow hall 2). Killer, killer place! Esperanza's was fun to visit when they had the old man playing acoustic guitar in the afternoons. That dude had played with every DFW mainstay since the 60's Nitzinger, Bugs H, J D Branch etc,.... great guy. Really miss him there...

4. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Yeah when I was about 17 or 18 I went with a friend to audition for a spot in a covers band. I think they were actually looking for someone who could actually play, not a couple of snot-nosed, pimply kids. Neither of us got the gig.

Tell us about the worst audition experience you had. Either as an audition-er or an auditionee.

5. Fiesta Red

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    If you go on the weekends, watch out for a gut with a big mustache and a bigger upright bass...great bassist, excellent drummer, a good singer, and a good friend...I won't advertise his name without asking him, though.

I'll check it out...

I remember him, didn't know his history, wish I had known...that would be cool to have talked to him.
    Esperanza's has a long family history/tradition with my family, and some of the best menudo in Texas (excellent migas, too), so we visit regularly.

4pickupguy likes this.

6. Fiesta Red

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I showed up to an audition for a band that told me I already had the gig (I was related to the lead guitarist and we had played together in several other bands)--they just wanted my opinion on their potential drummer before they offered him the gig.

Guy had a nice rig--a little big, but good stuff.
    Nice guy--funny, seemed smart, and humble.
    His girlfriend seemed at ease with our wives and girlfriends, who were hanging out.

Then he sat down and proceeded to beat those skins harder, faster and louder than anybody I had ever heard...but we were a Texas Blues Band, not a Thrash Metal group...

My wife was pregnant with our daughter at the time, and she had to leave the house, because the baby was jumping around so badly every time he hit a drum, it made her nauseated.

This guy was drowning out a LOUD band--I was playing through a '63-reissue Vibroverb and a '72 Bassman Ten--both reasonably cranked--and I could barely hear myself as he ran through his too-busy fills and runs. (the other two guys had comparably loud amps, bass and guitar).

Besides his lack of nuance and inability to play softer, he literally couldn't play a song at a tempo less than 140 bpm.

After he left, I said to the other two guys, "Really? No way in Hades will that work." I introduced them to a guy who I had recently jammed with, who became our drummer and (eventually) my best friend. We have played in several bands since then, and he is the antithesis of Bangy McLouddrum in every way...he plays to the song.

Next question:
    Is your best friend (outside of spouse or significant other) a musician?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    RoyBGood likes this.

7. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Yes but not professionals I have muso friends. But my best friends tend not to be. I love hanging round musicians though.

Which famous musician do you most sound like? I don't know for sure but I think closest to Clapton for me (though you'd tell the diifference...)

8. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    Which famous musician do you most sound like? I don't know for sure but I think closest to Clapton for me (though you'd tell the diifference...)[/QUOTE]
    les-marx-brothers-the-marx-brothers-harpo-marx-b7xyyt.jpg Well, maybe not, but this guy was a genius!
    I suppose Duane Allman. I spent hundreds of hours stealing...er, uh, learning his licks.

Did you ever meet a real harpist? I did! One of my high school friend's mother was a harpist with the local symphony. She's let us "mess" with her harp. It was cool.

9. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    View attachment 412948 Well, maybe not, but this guy was a genius!
    I suppose Duane Allman. I spent hundreds of hours stealing...er, uh, learning his licks.

Did you ever meet a real harpist? I did! One of my high school friend's mother was a harpist with the local symphony. She's let us "mess" with her harp. It was cool.[/QUOTE]

I didn't meet one, but saw her play with an avant garde rock band...later that year, I spotted her with a jazz band...some very cool, unexpected, nuanced playing!
    Perhaps my favorite live harp show, was catching Carey Bell, at blues dive, about 35 years ago

10. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oct 27, 2015
    Melbourne, Austraila
    I hired a harpist for my wedding. Nice guy. My favourite live harp show was Cecile Corbel.

Who is your favourie French artist/band?

11. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Stephane Grappelli
    Who is your favorite jazz guitarist?

Frank'n'censed likes this.

12. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

I hadn't had a drink for some time, so I was harpist at my wedding.

Favourite Jazz Guitarist? - Joe Pass, I think. I love the way he could play solo.

Favourite track on Queen's album 'Jazz'?
    For me, it's the under-rated 'In Only Seven Days' written by John Deacon - it's got a really good Brian May 'orchestra' bit in the middle.

13. HoodieMcFoodie

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Good question Roy. There are so many good songs on that album, but I'll go with "If You Can't Beat Them"

Worst Queen Album? For me it would have to be Hot Space.

RoyBGood likes this.

14. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Gotta agree, Hot Space.
    Best Queen album?
    I like Queen II.

RoyBGood likes this.

15. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

Same here. It's Brian May's too.

Favourite month of the year? - I like May!

16. HoodieMcFoodie

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    I'll go with April.

What's your favourite day of the week?

17. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y

What's your least favorite stat holiday?

18. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    July 4th
    @$&!*% firecrackers
    What's your favorite season?
    Fall guy, here.

19. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    It's not even close for myself, residing in The Great White North, summer will always be my time of year...the eternal kid, with a blank canvas to paint his day amongst the scantily clad daisies, gorgeous weather & festivals at every turn!

If you could handpick your rhythm section, bassist & drummer...who would they be? Shelia E & Tal Wilkenfeld would be kinda fun!

richiek65 likes this.

20. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Lee Sklar and Russ Kunkel
    Who's your favorite pianist/writer/singer?
    Billy Joel, for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.