Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Internet speed went up:

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Our interenet provider sent out a mailer saying that our interenet speed would be going up soon. I thought ours might already have been boosted because all at once everything was opening faster and videos are really loading and playing nicely. Checked the speed and it's almost 12 megs download, and about 1.2 upload which is substantially higher than it was a week or so ago. Supposedly not costing any more. Yet! We only have regular internet cable, nothing fancy. Anyone else get a speed boost lately?

2. rwsand

rwsand Tele-Afflicted

Sep 12, 2012
    Hyde Park NY
    Must be a trick! Don't trust the suits.

3. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like you have been accidently routed onto an alien spy nuero net.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Feb 1, 2007
    SE PA
    how do you even determine that sort of information?

6. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

May 1, 2012
    Prescott AZ
    Here's one way: Speedtest.

7. AndyLowry

May 1, 2012
    Prescott AZ
    DSL here, so it's never going to change. I was hoping Google would choose us for their fiber, but noooooo.

8. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    It's the Mayan conspiracy. It's already started people!

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I clicked on your link Andy and got basically the same readings as I did on speakeasy. I don't know why they bumped us up, but I like it. Surfing the web is just like opening programs on the computer. Select something, boom it's there. They have a tier that must be up around 25 mbs available but it cost quite a bit more. This is fine. Things look different on you-tube too. I think the screens default to a higher setting or something, even Merle Haggard looks better!

10. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

TD,

Glad to hear your connection is speedin up.

I'm on DSL: "Dang Slow Line"

11. AndyLowry

May 1, 2012
    Prescott AZ
    Pretty nice! Does your cable provide impose caps? Our local company has good speeds, but a 250GB/month limit, which I couldn't live with.

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    [​IMG]

Hmm, that doesn't sound all that great, considering we're on a fiber optic line....

13. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    Up until a month ago I had to be very careful how many times I visited You Tube to watch music videos, or even to watch the ones that guys post on here. Also I like to listen to my favourite talkback radio station online and by about 75% of my month I would get a warning that I'd reached 8.5gb and would be cut down on speed to 64bps. Then without warning my ISP sent an e-mail informing me they've bumped up my limits to 40gb per month as opposed to the 10gb it was before and for no extra cost. Heheh, all I need now is for the Government to slyly raise my pension... I can dream cant I?....:rolleyes:

14. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    Oh Man, am I LOL right now! We just got a notice from our provider about a speed increase, too. However, our upgrade was very measly and rather ironic too (read on).

We've been running satellite Internet (Wild Blue) and have struggled with their fair use limits, weather outages, and pathetically slow upload speeds. Wife and I are graphic artists by trade* and have a serious need for speed where the Internet is concerned.

Estimate to run cable Internet up here to the house = $THOUSANDS

Plan B:
    - Build a 12' x 12' shed at the base of our driveway.
    - Permits, electricians, inspections, etc.
    - Cable Internet gets installed to the shed.
    - Powerful outdoor-ready WiFi antenna rebroadcasts the signal up the house.

Success! Of course, I'm not running anywhere near the speeds Toto's Dad is getting (jealous!) but this is so much faster.

Needing to upgrade an Internet connection so your home business can grow? This is a good problem to have these days. Irony is, the day we finished up the new connection, our satellite ISP sent us a notice about a speed/bandwidth upgrade. Too late!

*FYI: Copper Black is a block type-style often seen on classic concert posters. I come from a traditional print background.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Jupiter, I think you guys are the reason our speeds are being bumped up, lots of talk about our lagging behind on internet speeds compared to Japan and others around the world. Our provider will bump my connection up to around 25 mbs upload for an additional $25 a month. What we have now is just fine, and unless they raise the price later is really quite reasonable. When I first got on the internet you were lucky to get 24K! A system upgrade download began on Monday, and completed on Tuesday.

AndyLowry (without an E) No caps on our service (yet). Some folks I know have caps, but so far we've been spared that. Two of my close relatives are on Wild Blue, and they both struggle with the caps.

16. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe...your internet company didn't speed up your internet, but they secretly slowed down your life.

It could happen.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    IIIIIIIIIII donnnnnnnn'tttttt ttttttthhhhhhiiiiiinnnnkkkk sooooooo.

18. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Frontier DSL has a monopoly with the town I live in. I have tried to go other routes because Frontier has horrible service and customer support and its stupid expensive but no competitors will go anywhere near Monmouth because of the contract. Its total b.s.

19. Barbeque John

Barbeque John Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2007
    Yakima WA
    Our local provider, Charter, 30 megabit, other countries tend to have higher speeds, Japan 100 gig, for example.

20. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    Your on Brighthouse right??

They have roadrunner lite 1.5 mbps

Std speed is 7 mbps

Turbo speed 20 mbps

Lighring speed 40 mbps

They are probably phasing out the std speed and upgrading everyone to turbo speed

21. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Mark, what you say is true, but I was notified by mail that my tier was being upped from the 7 mbps to over 11.5, and that is what they have done. Don't know if the other speeds are being kicked up, or not. The notification was only for the standard tier, even with the upgrade in speed it's not at the Turbo advertised speed. I'm not complaining though, I'm entirely satisfied with the new speed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.