Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Interesting Tele - but What Year?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Twang Banger, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fla
    Can any of you determine, by finish or other clues, what year this tele is?

The neck pick-up has no screws and the headstock looks like it has two string trees ... then there's the natural finish and possibly a single ply white pick guard ... and 70s (or earlier) looking case ...

Thoughts?

upload_2017-8-4_11-40-47.png

2. Tele5015

Tele5015 Tele-Meister

Dec 29, 2015
    Holton,Michigan
    People are saying that Fender starting using 2 string trees in 71 or 72 so I guess the guitar must have been made anytime in the 70s after 71 or 72.

Twang Banger likes this.

3. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    Is there a number on the plate the neck screws go through? If so what is it?

If not, is there a serial number on the headstock? If so what is it?

Take the neck off and take a photo of the heel end, there should be a stamp there.

And tell us the numbers on the volume and tone pots.

Then you will get an answer.

4. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fla
    I should have explained more thoroughly ... this tele is on Craigslist and this is the only photo. I am a little wary ... but you never know, could be a diamond in the rough. Seller claims his brother passed away and he is selling of his guitar stuff.

5. Cam

Cam Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Canada
    Neck joint looks like 74 or later to me

6. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

You can't tell much with that single photo. The string trees aren't original so you can't be sure if there were two to begin with.

You either need to ask more questions or go and see it for yourself.

The case looks a lot like my 73 Stratocaster case. Regardless of the string trees, it's not a maple cap so the neck is 69 or later. To me, the photo is too unclear to make out the neck notch.

You might also ask about the weight, some late 70s Fenders being boat anchors.

7. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Asking too many questions often drives up the price as the non playing seller takes gear to a tech for analysis.

Bring you Fly or ThR10 or whatever battery powered amp and take it for a spin at a safe public place.

Might be MEH might be Magic....

Force me to guess I'd say 74....I had that exact case w a 74 strat(which was junk btw)

Let us know how u make out! Good luck.

8. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California

10. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    And yet another reason this place rocks, doubletime.

nojazzhere and Dismalhead like this.

11. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

My bad, black hardware post 75. Sharp find Antoon.

So now at least we have a date but probably no guitar...

12. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

May 12, 2012
    Amsterdam,The Netherlands

13. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Well, it has a '70s logo and a walnut plug, so it has a skunk stripe. I have a '70 and it has one string tree. Yours has two, which I believe came along in '72 or '73. That would be my guess. And, later, the serial numbers were added to the logo decal. OK....I'll say '72 or '73.

Attached Files:

14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Is it just me, or is Craigslist turning into the "dark net"? 10-12 years ago, you could buy and sell all kinds of gear, meet nice people, have great, pleasant and safe transactions, and walk away feeling good about what had just transpired. Nowadays, you're lucky if you were only scammed by some troll mis-representing a guitar or some other item. People are being robbed and killed by meeting up with someone from CL....a great idea for direct interactions by buyers and sellers has been ruined by human nature....I just despair for our society.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.