Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Interesting rock facts

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by kevoz, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    It happened in December 1984 and the story is that the derringer he kept in his boot went off as he was removing it and he accidentally shot himself in the stomach. Now, that may be a cover story, but the date is probably accurate.

2. Shredhed

Shredhed TDPRI Member

Jun 3, 2013
    So. Indiana
    Sorry if some of this is repeat. I'm not going to read 14 pages lol. I did get through about. 10.

Billy Gibbons is a licensed minister.

At Woodstock Santana was cooked on acid or 'shrooms. He said the guitar neck was bending and weaving like a snake.

Joe Walsh was adopted. He also tried to run for President on the Free Beer For Everyone ticket.

Jerry Donahue is my fav Tele player. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

3. ctte2112

ctte2112 Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2011
    USA
    And the guitarist was only 16! How many 16 year olds do you know who could come of with such a catchy yet haunting riff, other than me obviously? :D

4. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Hound Dog Taylor was born with six fingers on each hand. He cut one off with a knife..:eek:

5. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Well, Erik Brann (Braunn, Braun), born August 11, 1950 - dead July 25, 2003, was actually 17 when they recorded In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Impressive nevertheless.

6. StuR

StuR Banned

Jun 19, 2013
    NW England, UK
    My other half & I were drinking with "some guy" ;) at the end of his UK tour a couple of years ago - and his "good friend and great guitarist" from NYC was there too so he shouted him over for an intro & a pic.
    [​IMG]

7. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 19, 2011
    Portland, Maine
    Oh my. The many perks of being a rock 'n roll star.

8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    While this is one of the pre-Elvis, legitimate, examples of rock before the so often cited 'birth of rock' Elvis/Sun recordings, Jr. Barnard was using a volume pedal and overdriven sounds almost 10 years before Ike's recordings with the Trailblazers.

Maybe Jr wasn't playing rock n roll, but he was experimenting with sounds and has a distorted tone on a number of the 'Tiffany Transcriptions' records. Check out his "Fat Boy Rag."

9. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    The famous 'setting the piano on fire' incident of Jerry Lee Lewis:

He and Chuck Berry argued backstage who was going to go on last.

They both had hit records.

Jerry was racist and turned it racial.

He pulled a knife on Chuck Berry.

Chuck Berry was a criminal.

He pulled a gun.

Lewis took the stage.

Set his piano on fire.

Left the stage and retorted, "Beat that MothaF#@*#r."

10. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Jerry Lee Lewis is still alive

His sister has played piano for Van da Man for several yrs

In the recent GP magazine Elliot Randall talks about his ss Marshall (well it does have 1 preamp tube!)

in the 80's Mick Jagger's younger brother was marketing an S style gtr made of marble

I wish someone would explain the real sordid truth behind David Knopfler's departure fro Dire Sts!!

11. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

Nov 18, 2012
    Oregon
    Conrad Sundholm of Sunn amplifier fame was brother to the bass player on Louie Louie (kingsmen)

The slide guitar on CSNY "teach your children" was a first take played by Jerry Garcia

GE Smith was married to Gilda Radner

Everyone already knew these, right?

12. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Garcia played pedal steel-

13. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

Nov 18, 2012
    Oregon
    Right you are. carry on

14. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2010
    everett wa
    Greg Allman shot himself in the foot to avoid the draft.

15. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

May 11, 2013
    Herefordshire UK
    As far as I know, it was a classic case of "big brother syndrome". David Knopfler shared a flat with bassist John Illsley, who was playing in a punk band at the time and used the flat as rehearsal space. David -who couldn't stand punk - decided that he had to either move out or persuade Illsley to play something more melodious, so the two of them started what became Dire Straits. When Mark Knopfler moved to London, he joined the band and used David's London contacts to make it more and more successful; David apparently never wanted Dire Straits to be more than a cult band. David eventually left during 1980, while the band were recording "Making Movies", saying he didn't want to be a strummer for someone else's dreams. I believe they see each other at family weddings and so on, but I don't think they get on particularly well.
    For my money, the original Dire Straits lineup, with Pick Withers on drums and David Knopfler on rhythm guitar, is one of the best bands there has ever been. I don't really like the post-1983 Dire Straits, but I could listen to their early stuff all day.

16. User Name:

User Name: TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Michigan
    Right guy, wrong band. Michael Bloomfield was in The Electric Flag. His friend, Al Kooper, was in Blood, Sweat, and Tears.

17. kevoz

kevoz Tele-Holic

Oct 29, 2012

18. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2012
    Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts did not play for the Stones at the first ever Rolling Stones live performance.

19. Nightatthehotel

Jun 11, 2012
    Keith Richards did not use an electric guitar on Jumpin' Jack Flash, instead he used an acoustic ran through multiple tracks.

20. Nightatthehotel

Jun 11, 2012
    The Eagles at one point lived in a house ontop of a hill that was nicknamed the "Eagles Nest" fpr obvious reasons...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.