Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Interesting rock facts

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by kevoz, Feb 3, 2013.

1. kevoz

kevoz Tele-Holic

Oct 29, 2012
    Have you got any interesting rock facts? . If so , please share. I've got a few for you (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong in any detail but I got most of this info from rock autobiographies):

Tony Iommi - got a prosthetic finger after chopping the tip off one of the fingers on his left hand on his last day working in a factory. He had to modify his left hand style accordingly. This led to the original Sabbath sound. He started off with a strat but when it broke, picked up his Gibson SG, and stuck with it for the rest of his career.

Brian May - throughout his career, played a guitar he and his father made.

Keith Moon - started with the Who after they asked the audience at one of their gigs for a drummer after they sacked their former drummer. Moon was supposedly in the crowd, but I have a feeling it wasnt just a coincidence. He was also a big fan of the Beach Boys.

Keith Richards - mostly uses open tuning on a 5 string telecaster.

Steve Cropper - worked in a guitar shop were Jimi Hendrix bought a guitar.

Jimi Hendrix - liked to use different guitars and effects for different songs. He had a guy design special effects for him (which developed into many of the stomp boxes we have today).

Ace Frehley's triple humbucker Les Paul used in KISS' Budokan shows had one active pickup (think smoke spewed from the others). Correct me if i'm wrong here.

Pete Townshend - was given a prize Rickenbacker by Joe Walsh as a gift, which he later smashed in a gig. He got this one repaired. Townshend played so loud that he caused major damage to his own hearing.

2. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Tony Iommi - it was actually two fingertips, and he made the original prosthetics himself.

Brian May - the core of that guitar ("Red Special" aka "The Old Lady") is actually made up of a bunch of pieces of butcher block with a mahogany veneer. it has an oak fretboard and the neck is made from wood that came from a 200-year-old fireplace mantel. btw, he's had several copies of the guitar made by private luthiers, for his own personal use as backups.

Jimi Hendrix - i think it was Pete Cornish who did a lot of Jimi's effects stuff. Cornish is still make awesome (and expensive) pedalboards and effects.

Ace Frehley's triple humbucker Les Paul - i think it actually has two working pickups and one dummy pup that conceals the smoke bomb and electric fuse. i think it's the middle "pickup" that's actually a dummy cover, but it might be the neck. at any rate, try to Google pictures of that guitar: virtually half of the body has been completely hogged out to make room for the smoke bomb and associated parts! if you look at the back, it's completely messed up, with a big cover screwed on to cover up the modifications. from what i've heard, that particular guitar was in such bad shape (because of all the mods), that he only used it for the one song that he lit off the smoke bomb during. it matched another "unmangled" LP that he played most of the time. he'd quickly switch them out so he could use the smoke bomb, but the modified guitar didn't get much actual playing time because it was basically just a (poorly-working) prop.

here's a couple that i'll add:

Van Halen - while Van Halen was pretty notorious for alcohol consumption (especially Eddie), all those Jack Daniels bottles they'd guzzle down onstage during the Hagar years were just filled with iced tea.

Lemmy - before he even joined Hawkwind, Lemmy was a roadie for Jimi Hendrix when he lived in England.

i know i've got more in my head, but for some reason these are the only two i'm recalling offhand at the moment.

3. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Mark Knopfler: Sultans recorded with 8's!

4. puremania

puremania Tele-Holic

May 25, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Feldspar can be found in both intrusive and extrusive igneous rocks, forming veins, and is also often found in metamorphic rocks.

5. jakob román

jakob román TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Brian May also used a coin for a pick. English sixpence, or at least so I've heard.

6. schnulli

schnulli Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2010
    Germany
    Actually it was a Gretsch 6120. The smashing can be watched around the 4:20 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DYgEcE67_0

:mad:

7. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    michigan
    Jimi recorded "The Wind Cries Mary" on a telecaster...as well as several other classic tracks.

Jimmy Page used several guitars on Zeppelin records...not just Les Pauls.

Pete Townshend stole the windmill idea from Keith Richards.

Kenny Jones is the drummer on the Stones studio cut of "It's Only Rock And Roll". Ron Wood is playing acoustic on the track...this was before he was officially in the band. I find it ironic that the first two sounds we hear on that cut are drums and acoustic guitar...neither played by a Stone!

Paul McCartney is drumming on "Back In The USSR".

The dive bomb in Eddie Van Halen's "Eruption" is Eddie slowing the tape during mastering, not a whammy bar.

I think that's enough for now...

8. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 16, 2008
    California
    That guy in Thompson Twins has Randy Bachmans stolen Gretsch
    The late Gary Moore had Ronnie Montroses stolen Les Paul

9. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 10, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Im pretty sure Jimmy Page's '59 LP was given to him by Joe Walsh.

His yellow Telecaster from the early days was given to him by Jeff Beck.

10. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Good stuff, keep 'em coming!

Jackson Browne "discovered" SRV.

Al Kooper "discovered" Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Neil Young played in early band with Rick James.

11. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    I could tell some stories, but then I would out myself...

12. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Interesting clip. Both guitar and drums continue to play well into the smashing.

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Chevy Chase was the drummer in an early band with Walter Becker and Donald Fagan before they went on to form Steely Dan.

Bruce Springsteen splits the revenue from concerts equally with all members of the E Street Band.

The album version of Iron Butterfly's Inna Gadda Da Vida was actually performed as a soundcheck in the studio while they were waiting for the producer to arrive.

14. JayBeezy42

JayBeezy42 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2012
    Kansas
    Led Zeppelin got signed to Atlantic Records without ever meeting with them based on the recommendation of soul singer Dusty Springfield while she was recording her monumental "Dusty in Memphis" album.

15. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Man, Joe Walsh was giving guitars away left and right. What a guy!

16. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    My telecaster started life as a tree.

17. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    belinda carlisle was the original drummer for the band the germs...she left and ended up singing for the all girl band the gogos

joey ramone was the original drummer for the ramones and dee dee was the original singer

18. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Lil' Wayne supposedly shot himself way back for the street cred thang.

Wayne Kramer (MC 5) does the music for the Eastbound and Down" series

Wayne Cochran is still alive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5_GstlPL64

Fountains of Wayne are... neither

Wayne Newton developed testosterone at age 27 1/2
    :)

"It's Wayning Men" coulda been a hit
    :)

19. JayBeezy42

JayBeezy42 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2012
    Kansas
    Don Felder (of the Eagles) and Stephen Stills played in a band together while growing up in Gainesville, Florida called the Continentals.

Felder would also give guitar lessons to another Gainesville resident, a blond-headed kid named Tommy Petty.

20. yark14

yark14 Friend of Leo's

Aug 2, 2008
    Austin, TX. Formerly Iowa
    Brian May of Queen has a Ph.D in Astrophysics and is currently the Chancellor of Liverpool John Moores University.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.