Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Insurance value for modified '73?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Nobster, May 10, 2017.

1. Nobster

Nobster TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    France
    I've just started thinking about insurance and whether I should somehow declare a value for my #1 guitar. I currently don't have any insurance apart from standard house/contents cover which I guess won't include this or any of my other guitars (it's not for sale btw!).

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/1973-refinish-shes-back-lots-of-pics.614208/

As I think I've previously said, it's a 73 that I bought all original in about 1975. It's been refinished, nicely refretted once and the pickups/pots/switch were replaced years ago with a 4 way switch and Texas specials. All the rest is original including the ashtray cover.

I realise that because of the mods it's not worth anything like what it would be worth if I'd kept it all original but that's OK, as I said I'm never going to sell it, just looking for a ballpark figure of its current value.

Thanks

EDIT: I'm sure some of you keen-eyed ones will spot this so I'll quickly add that I do have the original strap buttons and also the jack socket/cup seperately.

Last edited: May 10, 2017

2. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands

3. Nobster

Nobster TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    France
    OK, that's what I thought it might be. Thanks

Last edited: May 11, 2017

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE

5. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    I understand you are looking for an insurance value. In your other thread you show a great looking refinish and seem to have the original parts except for the electronics. You can still find electronics from this era for sale.

if it was me I'd keep a look out for a set and keep them for when that time comes to pass it on. I doubt they would sound as good as the current pick ups unless you sub 250k pots but you would have a complete early '70's Tele with a fine refinish and refret. A worthy investment to me.

Hope your guitar plays as well as it looks.

6. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    All original, good to excellent condition a '73 is $3K - $4K.
    With all the changes you cut that value in half so I agree with the $1500 - $2000 suggestion.

It's insurance... I'd value it a little higher if I could get away with it legally in the insurers eyes. Even with the changes, you cannot replace that guitar for $2000... to buy another '73 would cost $3K minimum... that is the area I would try to insure it for.

Just my 2 cents.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.