Instead of Resurrecting

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by tone57, May 14, 2019.

1. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

A couple years ago i got this great guitar, and no one could identify the maker.
    So, i am asking again. Anyone ever see anything like this?
    Not quite as Orange as it looks, but still..

Rio Grande Texas BBQ Humbuckers, Grover Tuners, super thick fabulous top.

Body1s.jpg

IMG_1063s2.jpg

The Abalone Flame Position markers were, almost certainly added later.

IMG_1066s2.jpg
    Flame Maple, walnut stripes ( i think ), and Birdseye Maple core neck.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Deeve, Zepfan and nojazzhere like this.
  2. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

So, some detail images..

Head2.jpeg

Even has a serial#, and i signature i just cannot read.

IMG_1067s.jpg

Plays great, pretty light, push pull on the tone.. what do you guys think?
    Identity?

Tone57

Zepfan likes this.
  3. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Never seen a production guitar like that. I bet it's a one-off custom build.

Beautiful no matter what it is.

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

Don't have a clue to who the maker might be but I think its pretty representative of all of the guitars built by up and coming luthiers. There are literally hundreds of small time builders trying to sell a few guitars, make a name for themselves, pay for their hobby or earn a living. We just had a little hand made guitar festival near where I live with 54 builders (most of whom you have never heard) and hundreds of beautiful instruments.

I can summarize a few things I see here. First, I also can't read his sig but his/her initials are SD. The inlay was done by hand and shows how hard it is to do good work on a light background - unfortunately the filler stands out. Nice the way the f-hole shape is used for the f/b markers - these are little details that a hand builder can really shine at doing. Many of us sign and date our guitars. Most of us come up with some sort of serial number to keep track - either he/she has built over 400 guitars or maybe thats the 4th guitar of 2004 - no real way to tell. I'm kind of surprised the builder didn't put a label inside the f-hole or signed the underside of the top.

The body and head shape are enough different to be different, but still not crazy weird. I like the slight twist in the head and t/r cover - it seems to work with the body. Its a set neck but without a Gibbie style heel - I always worry about short tenons and deep cutaways but some people feel they need it. The three piece neck is very nice and it ties to the maple binding very effectively. The top is spectacular and the finish looks well done.

All in all, a really nice piece of work and if it sounds as good as it looks I think you have a winner.

tone57 likes this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

In general I do not care much for quilt OR cherry sunburst.

But that's a looker

tone57 likes this.
  6. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

It looks like the first name might be "Sam" And the last name might start with Def or Dif. Agree with Freeman's assessment - very nice work.

Rex

tone57 likes this.
  7. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Another reason why signatures should always be legible :D

tone57 and Paul in Colorado like this.
  8. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the consideration everyone.

Nosmo, yes i think it is indeed a one off custom or commissioned build. And i also think it is a looker.

Freeman, I agree that the initials are SD and some have previously mentioned how the headstock inlay looks a little like the YES logo ( in style at least ) ;)
    I had not, however noticed the Fretboard markers are at a minimum 'in the style of' the F hole, thanks!
    I have looked at a few thousand ( tens of thousands? ) of images of Semi-hollow bodies and even found one luthier that has used it. She, however was very polite in letting me know it wasn't her work, and i cannot seen to find any pictures or reference in old e-mails. hmm

Blowtorch - i agree about cherry sunburst mostly, but am a big fan of quilted maple.

TRexF16 - Yep, I even thought ( for a moment ) it might be Jim, and thus accosted Jim DeCava by email, but again, no soap.

Corliss1 - It might have been legible in 04, but agreed, they could have even placed a label in the chamber beneath the F-hole, but no sign that one ever existed,

9. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

It appears to be an early SD Custom guitar made by Russian guitar maker Sergei Dzusov.
    He seems to favour quilted finishes.

https://vk.com/sdcustomguitars

tone57 likes this.
  10. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

It might be worthwhile asking in the lutherie forums (OLF and MIMF) and in some of the slightly more Gibsonesq discussions (My Les Paul). Strictly speaking were are mostly talking about Leo's slab bodies here, altho I do know that some discussions wander a bit.

Both OLF and MIMF have electric guitar subforums - and lots of the small time builders hang there.

tone57 likes this.
  11. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

I think i will contact him and see what he thinks.
    Unreal. the logo is close and like you say it might be an early one.
    Also he does seem to have a real fondness for quilted maple! ;)

Thanks

12. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Can't help, but that sure is sweet!

tone57 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.