Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Instead of Fender amps ....... ?????

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 83siennateleguy, Jul 31, 2018.

1. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Your choice of amp should be driven by your style, your preferences for tone and volume and features. Do you want to sound like everyone else or do you want to sound distinctly different?

Recently, my wife and I attended a music showcase. One of the bands featured a very good local guitarist, one that I’ve known of for over 30 years. He’s always played well, and he’s well respected. During the course of the show, he played several guitar solos, all of them top notch, and kept the rhythm going with style the rest of the time. He was using a Fender® Stratocaster®, which looked to me to be either a 57 re-issue or an Eric Johnson signature model, and a Bugera amplifier, with a well-stocked pedal board in between.

While listening to this great local guitarist play his solos, which were all on point and very good, I couldn’t help but notice his tone. To me, it sounded very, well, generic. It sounded like a Strat played through a pedal board. Nothing distinguishable about it, even though it was musically very good and well placed. During a break in the show, my wife, who has a very discerning ear for music, had asked me who the guitarist was, and commented that he was really good.

As we were driving home after the show, I asked her what she thought about his tone, as I'm all about good tone. I asked her cold, so as not to prejudice her response. She replied that his tone, “wasn’t very good. It sounded cheap.” Interesting, especially considering that he was a very good guitarist...

savofenno likes this.

2. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    For the last 2 years my 2 main amps have been a '66 Ampeg Jet and a '65Reverberocket 2. Power wise the Jet is 12 watts, the RR is 18. These are kick ass amps that compare favorably to Fender BF combos at a fraction of the cost. I only use Reverb and a pre-amp with them. Great natural sound.

3. tho618

tho618 TDPRI Member

May 25, 2012
    Swampscott, MA
    The new AC 15 sounds killer w a Tele. Great built in grit w the master volume and top boost. I had swapped the Greenback that sounded great for a Celestion Blue, which I liked even better.

The only downside, pretty heavy amp. I sold and moved to a lighter Princeton w a 12”.

The AC 10 is smaller/lighter but may not keep up w a band.

savofenno and stnmtthw like this.

4. tho618

tho618 TDPRI Member

May 25, 2012
    Swampscott, MA
    Gary, is that loud enough w a band? Or do you use a mic in front?

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I dig several of the newer Supro offerings, the venerable Vox AC15 and (believe it or not) the Ibanez TS 15-watt job all appeal to me.

savofenno likes this.

6. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Echoing many others here but I own and use the AC15C1 and the Marshall DSL40c. Either one is going to be a night of fun.

7. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I like Fender maps a lot, but I have an old GreTsch 6160 that I love. It's got a great vibrato on it.

Also, for live playing I like the Soldano stuff because it's a lot more reliable and is kind of like everything I like about a Marshall with none of what I don't, and again, reliable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2blue2 likes this.

8. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    I used to own both a blackface Deluxe Reverb and a blackface Pro Reverb. Those were always my Telecaster amps. I especially liked the Pro Reverb. But those amps got to be pretty valuable, and I really didn't want to take them out of the house. I started to look for an alternative. I ended up with an amp that sounds even better, and is made to be virtually indestructible. That would be my Mesa Blue Angel. I ultimately sold the blackface Fenders, after doing an A/B comparison with the Blue Angel. The Blue Angel does the blackface reverb sound even better than actual blackface Fenders. The reverb is more lush and multi-dimensional. It's an awesome amp that pairs especially well with a Telecaster. It can do clean, and also sounds great when pushed, especially for blues. The Blue Angel is a non-master volume amp, and doesn't sound like any other Mesa amp. It's got a more vintage flavor. And they are built to last a lifetime. Heavy though. I have the 4x10 combo, but they also made 1x12 and 2x10 versions. I see clean used ones for between $800 and $1K. If you can find one, give it a try. I will never let mine go. It's too bad Mesa discontinued them. But they didn't really appeal to the typical Mesa customer.

9. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I have a TSA15H for my “Fender” cleans. I’m thinking about possibly going to the 30 for more volume. The 15 is a clean machine, but it could stand to be a bit louder.

savofenno and Fiesta Red like this.

10. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2018
    Kansas
    In my experience they probably sounded pretty dang good because you could actually hear them because the inherent mids those amps posses. That's why try as I might I just don't get along well with black or silverface amps. I play in a 3 piece band and my fender blackface gets loud yes but it just doesn't fill the frequency space to sound big and thick in my opinion.

11. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 28, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Sure bonded fast with my VoxAC10..after using a Fender for many years it was a welcome change..I still bring out one or two my Fenders every now and again..But I really enjoy the chime I can achieve with my Gretsch Duo Jet..The weight and the price were both very agreeable and if it wears out and gives it up..I'll just get another..I haven't heard to much about people getting these repaired or worked on..good news ..bad news

12. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    Tone? It was Bugera, nothing was upgraded in it?

13. deech54

deech54 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2014
    Austin

14. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    Are fish not made out of meat? They're not a vegetable are they?!!

15. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    I've been incredibly happy with both my Tele and Strat going through my Ampeg Superjet SJ12R.....fantastic amp. I replaced the speaker with an Eminence Legend (can't remember which model exactly) and once that speaker got broken in that amp is a real marvel!! Has it's own sound and seems to really shine with single coils over humbuckers. And I only paid $350 for it as an added bonus!!

16. Michael Vilogi

Michael Vilogi TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Kingston PA
    Have had amazing luck with Allen Amps. Tried Vintage Sound Vintage 15 too. A bit too Dark for me, but built well I suppose. The Allens are my fav as of late, though Im looking into something new as well...

viccortes285 likes this.

17. Xanthum

Xanthum NEW MEMBER!

Sep 25, 2018
    South Korea
    Really surprised no one has mentioned Mesa Lonestar and Mesa Lonestar Special, especially for the type of music you would like to play, paired with your tele. Two channels. One very clean and one with some more gain that can get pretty crunchy. Great reverb with two modes. I have the Special version that I use for recording. It's EL84 powered whereas the regular lonestar is 6L6. Both have switches to reduce the wattage if needed. I am alos exclusively using the 5 watt mode now, it sounds lush and beautiful. It doesn't really sound like a Fender, or a Vox, or a Marshall, it's its own thing. Of course it's a Mesa so everything involved with it is based on quality design and construction. The controls are extremely responsive.

18. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I'm loving my Orange OR15. It's much more versatile than you'd think

19. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    +1 for the Express 550.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    2blue2 and gridlock like this.

20. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

May 13, 2015
    Cicero, IL
    I'm digging my almost stock vox ac30cc2 with Eminence legends loaded. The amp itself works great and still toy with the controls. It's like a toy you can't get bored of! Speakers are less to be desired and been wanting UK celestion blues..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.