Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Instead of Fender amps ....... ?????

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 83siennateleguy, Jul 31, 2018.

1. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 29, 2012
    Chicago Suburbs
    My preferences change frequently. Sometimes, nothing but my BF Bassman...other times I find myself attracted to the Ibanez TSA15H. And there's more to choose from. Ampeg GVT5H has a great clean sound at low volume and great grit when dimed. But this little guy really sounds good. Not what I would call a "Grab & Go" amp though.

Mace 1.jpg

2 Headed Goat likes this.

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Mesa Boogie Mark IIB Simu-Class with Reverb.

Almost Fender cleans except rounder sounding (if that makes any sense).

Another great choice is a Meas Experss 5:50. Great cleans and even rounder notes.

71AC570C-6FF8-4C81-AF8B-63A6A7C071C8.jpeg

Owenmoney likes this.

3. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2018
    San Mateo, CA
    If you like the " XXXXX" sound... get a "XXXXX".. anything else is a waste of time..

Now substitute "XXXXX" for
    a/ Fender - my 1st choice *
    1/ gig - Princeton Reverb -
    2/ home / practice Blues Junior
    b/ Vox - my second choice -
    1/ gig - AC15C1
    2/ home / practice -AC10C1 / AC4C1
    c/ anything else you fancy- nothing else works for me.

I have been a Fender guy ( Blackface Twin - Deluxe ) for decades and could not get a good sounds out of anything else. Suddenly, I started to appreciate Vox and I like this series of ACXXC1 a lot. In fact I prefer the Vox's for practice because of the less scoped chimey middle-ly sound now... I do not know why but...

4. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    ive never played through a real dr z before, but my hd500x has a model of a route 66. i really like it and if its pretty close i would definitely like to try a real one. i think i read they quit making the route 66 though.

5. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    I have a Deuce ... can't carry it around anymore ... but it sounds good.

elmoscafeo likes this.

6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Give me a Blackstar Club 40 any day. I'm just not a Fender amp guy

7. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    [QUOTE="heres a big difference between a deluxe reverb and a jcm900, but if i hooked up some sort of od or distortion to the deluxe, i could easily get into marshall territory.[/QUOTE]

Maybe so, but certainly not the other way around!

8. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I was gonna post suggesting this amp. Friend of mine has one and I brought my Les Paul over so he could here my new A3 Custombucker bridge pup. It sounded so amazingly sweet I just had to get one. I wasn’t expecting my strats or teles to sound as good as the Les Paul but I was very pleasantly surprised. The cleans surprisingly amazing and everything you say is true about dialing it in across two main channels, each with an OD, plus the Tone Shift too, my pedals are getting lonely. I love my Marshall DSL40cr.

9. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Yep, there sure are a lot of good amps out there all right. You should try every one suggested on these four pages, and go with the one you like best. Or - maybe say what features you want, or tones you admire?

sonicsmitty likes this.

10. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Michigan
    I have a Marshall DSL 20CR. It’s a great amp. I highly recommend that you try one.

11. swervinbob

swervinbob TDPRI Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Texas
    Yep, I love the new Marshall DSL line.

12. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2012
    Clarksville, TN
    We're on page 4 and I know there's got to be several dozen more amp manufacturers that have yet to be named, not to mention the different models. There's still vintage discontinued manufacturers/models to be added. I'm sure someone somewhere has squeezed a good Tele tone out of a lot more than these.

Seriously, 83siennateleguy, just take your guitar with you and try to find one that you're comfortable with, sounds good to you, meets your playing requirements whether you gig or just play at home, and is in your price range. There were some great suggestions in these pages, but when it comes to boutique amps it's almost impossible to try out unless you know someone who has one, or can find a store that actually has one. Otherwise you have to take someone else's word for it. I've bought a couple and they're good amps, but if I had to do it over again I don't think I would. I still like my Fender best with my Vox AC15 a close second, but your tastes may differ. Buy something you can try out with your guitar.

13. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

Aug 4, 2018
    PA
    I have a Boogie Express and I love it. Its great for any type of music. I am a Clapton, Beck, Larry Carlton type of guitar player. Though I love the Boogie, there is nothing like a Fender Twin DI with those 6L6 tubes. Vox don't have the clear headroom and chime of the Fender. I realized a while back that not one amp will meet all your needs.

The Fender has a looser sound while the Boogie is tight and has a more mid push. I spent 8 months studying pedals and setup a pedal board. I use the Fender about 70 percent of the time and the Boogie 30 percent.

JL_LI likes this.

14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

This might add to the thread title for a new thread, or maybe add a side discussion to this thread. I'm just now discovering how much easier it is to dial in a Fender amp with a Fender guitar. I'm not sure why it never occurred to me before.

And the converse is proving true as well - I'm not as happy with my Gibson's thru my Fender amps. Knob twisting, electronics, caps, pickups, pots, pup adjustment - I finally picked up my 2000 Strat and voila - decent, non-icepick drive thru my RK Twin. Both are stock, so it makes sense Fender designed them with compatability in mind. Now, I'm really curious about the same vintage Tele or Strat thru this amp, which is a late 80's survivor. Time for another guitar? < of course..>

Meanwhile, what's the consensus on Gibsons with humbuckers thru Fender amps for some decent drive? Is it conventional, or less possible? I rarely see Fenders used for cover bands these days.

I recognize you can convert any guitar's electronics and pups to emulate the other manufacturer, and the builders do this already, but the formula matching a basic iconic Fender or Gibson, has lots of variables. Unless you gut a Gibson, and transfer those exact components to a Fender, you'll be in a long project trying to match 7-8 variables (pups, pots, caps, pup hieght, harness configuration, switching, polarities, many knobs to twist, etc). And heck, each maker's guitars aren't universally matched. It just seems there's far more room for error and failure, than success - but fun for many nonetheless.

Its just so much easier to find a guitar that matches an amp or an amp to match a guitar, and Fender-Fender, Fender-Marshall or Gibson-Marshall sure seems like the logical starting point? Is this true? I feel a little dopey going full circle, spending so much time and energy should this be basically true.

15. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    Do yourself a favor and try out a Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. Changed my life. I still don't own one, but once I get the cash together you better believe I'm gonna go grab it.

16. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    I’m currently using a Mesa TA15. Has great Vox tones on chan 1 and a range of drive time voicings on chan 2.

Rowdyman and Jakeboy like this.

17. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I have no idea what non-Fender amp you're gonna like, everyone has mentioned the usual suspects. Me, I'm mostly partial to tweed-era Fender sounds but I could be very happy with a Vox to play with as well. The scooped BF thing definitely has its place but I'm slowly (finally) understanding that it's not my sound for the most part, just like I'm slowly realizing that I don't need to own a strat. Recently I've come to appreciate Orange amps as very versatile and well made, for clean to major metal. But I have no idea what you'd think of them.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

18. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    We live in the Golden Age of Amps...so many choices....I love them all.....including the tweed and brown/Blonde Fenders....
    For classic rock you gotta have a Marshall to go along with the Fender....but once I tried a Vox style, I knew I had to have that sound too. Nothing else does that...so....

I submit you do what I did...buy a used Mesa TA15...It has an incredible Vox-voiced channel, yet it does Marshall too...and very well on the H1 mode.
    Plus it does Fender and Mesa too. Most versatile amp on Earth...

Course my Marshall JMP, And Lil Dawg tweeds and blondes ain’t going anywhere.

But for a versatile gig almost anything amp, to include country and especially classsic rock...TA 15 FTW all day long.
    Enjoy the search.

Rowdyman likes this.

19. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I've got a Tele and enjoy playing it via a Dr Z Maz 18 Jr and also via a Blackstar HT Club 40 MkII. The Dr Z is very adaptable to any style you like - beautiful cleans but it'll break up nicely as well. The Blackstar is 2 channel - one nice clean but the dirty channel is typically British voiced rock.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.