Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Instead of Fender amps ....... ?????

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 83siennateleguy, Jul 31, 2018.

1. 83siennateleguy

83siennateleguy Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2017
    Claysburg Pa.
    I've always played through fender amps when using my Tele or Strat.
    Some friends of mine though their number 1 choice would also be a fender product , also play through other competitors amps as well.
    Was it the room or the set up or effects of their guitar that night ? I don't know. They sounded pretty dang good though ( one used a Marshall amp and one used a Vox)
    My knowledge on either one isn't very good but I know they have a great reputation.
    So here's the question :
    What would be a great choice to match up with the Tele if you were to buy a non Fender amp ?
    50-50 mix as far as classic rock and country venues ! Not sure of budget as it's been 25 years since I bought a new amp.
    Thanks in advance for your posts!
    Let the fun begin , we're going shopping! Don't tell the Mrs., I'll surprise her ! Thanks Again

tho618 likes this.
  2. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    Vox AC15 or AC30. The tone controls are... interesting, but once you learn how they work, you are in for a treat.

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    All are classic and valid choices. Sometimes I like meat, sometimes I like fish...

MadJack, Flakey, dented and 2 others like this.
  4. 83siennateleguy

83siennateleguy Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2017
    Claysburg Pa.
    So your reply tells me what ? All amps are good choices or just the Marshall and Vox . Could you be a little more specific please.Thanks.

5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    If I wanted an amp which could do a bright clean as well as a classic rock distortion I'd be looking at a Vox AC15 or AC30. Your best bet is to go out and try some amps in a store really although I understand that big guitar stores aren't always in a nearby area for some.

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Depends what for. Vox isn't known for Blues, jazz or country - but people do use them. They tend to crisp and chimey - but there's many different Vox amps including EL34 versions more akin to Marshall and modellers which can do a take on any classic Fender.

Marshalls are their own thing - again there's modelling amps that can do California Tweed or Blackface tones. Marshalls are known through, for their own woody, crisp crunchy midrange which in some ways is like the bassman they're derived from but different due to tubes and speakers. Very warm and always a little hair, not totally clean.

My two main amps are a Fender that does BF tones and more with clever switching, and a Marshall that does classic and modern Marshall tones.

K1121, Believer, savofenno and 2 others like this.
  7. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Ampegs make great rock amps.

8. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Apr 28, 2009
    Minnesota
    Savage Glas 30 2x12. Awesome amps.

Viejo likes this.
  9. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Blackstar Club Series

Paul Jenkin and stratoman1 like this.
  10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Marshall DSL40cr (the cleans will surprise you and what sound do you want?..it is all there..wont even need a pedal and can really dial that amp in. the presence and resonance can take flub out or add bass to a tough room. I have it set from pristine clean to a solid rythym to a killer lead..and that is for heavy music..last night o goofed around and played some blues, funk and jazz..man it might be better at that than the crazy stuff i been playin lately...made it into a head..it kills

Attached Files:

11. Boarsrock

Boarsrock TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Indiana
    Rivera Venus 5. A little bit Fender and a little bit Marshall.

tlsmack likes this.
  12. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Atlanta
    I have an AC30cc2, modded with Lyle Caldwell’s mods. The way I run it is anything but chimey, I hate that term, it makes me think of REM

I run it in 22 watt mode with the bias switch set to 82. I dime the normal channel and blend a little bit of the top boost channel with it. It is anything but chimey. With an ordinary tube screamer it’s fat and thick and approaches Brian May territory. I dial it down a bit with an attenuator I built.

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  13. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Mesa Boogie gives you cleans with an edge to the sound and gain channels on the same amp. You'd be hard pressed to do better than a Mark 5:25.

14. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Jun 14, 2010
    mojave desert
    Tube------Dr. Z

SS-----Evans

viccortes285 and mikespe like this.
  15. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    ...the OTHER guys and their toyz...versus..."the real thing" (credit to Coca Cola™ jingle).

16. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Oct 16, 2015
    New Jersey
    Second on Dr Z. The Maz models, Route 66. Amazing.

Like it loud? Matchless DC30

Like it how you like it? Call Jamie at Booya and have him make whatever your heart desires

Paul Jenkin, mikespe and RyCo1983 like this.
  17. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
  18. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    I just got a VOX AC10 $395.00

Stock everything and it is a great, NO GREAT amp.

Juicy and textural.

I wish I bought one years ago.

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

Gary

gkterry, BCblues55 and matrix like this.
  19. j-bro

j-bro TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Winchester MA
    My votes go to (in no particular order):

Quilter (yep, it's good)
    Allen
    Boogie (they're EL84 driven amps are very interesting)
    Marshall and Vox...AC15 is no joke and JCMs are sweet
    Supro....Jimmy Page
    Peavy...how many of our heroes played a Peavy?

twotone60 likes this.
  20. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    The reissue Reverberockets with the channel switching have massive amounts of gain.

My personal go to is a Dumble ODS clone, though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.