Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Installing Brass Inserts Into Neck Heel

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Clint Walker, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    have been using this technique for that last year...I get great results and don't have to fight with any jigs.

use drill press to drill for the insert and as a guide...but...DO NOT TURN IT ON WHEN INSTALLING THE INSERTS!!!

I will let the pics tell the story...

BTW, I use a 10mm brad point drill bit to drill for the inserts. You can get the inserts and that special insert tool from McMaster-Carr...

I apply just enough downward pressure on the drill press...you will feel the insert pulling as you rotate the chuck by hand with the aid of the 1/4" rod.

Once I have them all in, I use some thin superglue to wick between the wood and the insert...it holds them in place.

I hope this helps out...I usually try to do this before I glue the fingerboard on...but have done quite a few retro-fits...I use a radius sanding block to hold the neck in place while drilling and while installing the inserts.

SAM_0625.JPG SAM_0623.JPG SAM_0620.JPG

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    nosmo, TigerG, VictOr358 and 5 others like this.

2. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    Nice !

It surprises me that bolt on necks don't all use these inserts instead of going straight into the wood. I am about to build a travel guitar where the neck will come off and go back on every time. In that case they seemed like an obvious approach. I have been looking at what's available.

There are quite a few bolt-neck insert kits on ebay, some of which use slightly different systems. But they would also lend themselves to your drill press approach.
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=272570611855
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=141525202548

VictOr358, Felino and Clint Walker like this.

3. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    That's really cool, thanks for sharing!

Clint Walker likes this.

4. Honza992

Honza992 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    Clint, thanks for posting this.

Can I ask whether there is any 'slop' when using the installation bit? Does it hold the threaded insert without the insert wobbling a bit? I tried the same method using a short piece of hexagonal metal bar and although both the bar and the insert were supposedly both M4 (4mm), there was just too much wobbling for the insert to be driven in to the hole at 90 degrees.

I've ended up using a piece of threaded rod onto which I put the insert, then put the threaded rod into the drill press. It works really well, but maybe isn't that elegant a solution!

Also for us Europeans, I notice the McMaster Carr tool is only imperial, no metric:mad:

Edit: I've just come across this:
    https://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/q-installing-threaded-inserts
    The difference is that in that article they put a washer between the nut and the threaded insert. That presumably keeps the insert level, so even if there is a bit of wobble the insert still gets driven in to the wood at 90 degrees. Very clever. And simple. And cheap. A great combination.

magicfingers99 likes this.

5. VictOr358

VictOr358 TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Moscow, Russia
    Very good technique, my Fine Sir! Do you thread the wood, BTW? I mean, maple is rather dense, while brass is not the hardest of alloys. Personally, I'd cut a shallow thread and put the insert with some good epoxy. There'd be a very thin glue layer, and the glue would also serve as a lubricant for the process. Just my two kopecks))

Tim Tam, it surprises me why we still use the wood screws instead of bolt and threaded insert at every possible occasion. Guitar wise, of course. ) Especially for the solid bodies. If brass is good for church bells and trumpets, it's not going to ruin the sound. )

6. Clint Walker

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas

I do not get any slop...the insert fits the bit perfectly. I have used several other methods...this one seems to work the best for me.

7. Clint Walker

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas

VictOr358 likes this.

8. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Awesome job, I wish my heel adjusting necks fitted with these!

I_build_my_own likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.