Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Installing a 'cut-off' bridge on a Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Loobs, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

I am thinking of purchasing a Baja Tele soon but I want a cut-off vintage bridge on it, most probably the Glendale Half-Plate, or something similar. I realise it probably screws right in, but will it affect the height of the bridge pickup, will it need rubber spacers under the pickup or something similar to make it the right height?

2. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

Depends on the PUP route depth and you PUP I'd say. The 'right' length wood screws, and possible some foam under the PUP. When I did it, I was able to use 7/8" long screws and surgical tubing under between the base plate and bottom of the PUP cavity. The PUP cavity was 3/4" deep IIRC. I di dnot like the tone though and undid it FWIW.

3. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Interesting, what did you not like about the tone? I love the look.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. robt57

Lost the twang a little too much for me. Interestingly, it was a hardtail modern bridge, and I used the piece left over from cutting a vintage Fender plate [for a dual HB Tele] next to the modern Hardtail bridge to mount the PUP in. I liked it a lot that way.

Before and after:

Attached Files:

6. Hollmanp90

Hollmanp90 Tele-Afflicted

Each his own........

Here at So. Ill.......and I'm hearing of others,but I love a half-bridge setup....fatter tones,and still as twangy as any except Bakersfield.............

Great giggin' setup.....I suggest using a a hotter pickup.

Been having good results using mous pad foam in the route.

7. fendorst

fendorst Banned

$18

I got the Wilkinson half bridge. Direct replacement for four-hole bridgeplate, fits perfectly, compensated brass saddles work great. Subtle but definite change in tone. More open and airy, very lively and twangy, and maybe a little bit more growl to the tone as well.

Scroll down to bottom of page:

http://www.azguitarparts.com/id6.html

8. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Awesome and so cheap! I'll be picking one of those up. Do you have to alter the pickup mounting at all, put rubber spacers under the pickup to push it up to the correct height or something?

9. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Can you briefly explain the foam thing in the route, and how I'd go about installing that?

10. Hollmanp90

Hollmanp90 Tele-Afflicted

Simply,make you a pencil rub template.......pick you up a mouse pad, cut it to shape,mine usually need nothing to keep in place, I use spring on pickup screws,install pickup.

Keep everything solid, stable........some shielding perks.

I don't use shielding paint or tape on my builds......ground that bridge and whastever is on the bottom of the pickguard.

11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

This is another one of those "how does it sound" questions... the answer is the same for 'em all.

It doesn't matter what anyone likes or dislikes, there is only one way for you to find out if it works for you, ya gotta jump in and get wet.

I would recommend taking a looooong look at your amp. That's where 90% of whatever you will hear is produced.

Ron Kirn

12. GreeneFan

GreeneFan Tele-Meister

Is there a wire already connecting the bridge on tha Baja to ground? If not, you'll need to run one as you'll be eliminating the connection through the bridge pickups ground.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied

My recollection is the Baja bridge depends for its grounding on the physical connection by screws of a grounded base plate to the bridge plate itself.

If my recollection is correct, a new lead from the bridge plate to the back of the volume pot is in order:

[​IMG]

This Seymour STK T3b in the single coil position has plenty of twang - I am very excited about this guitar and plan to get some more of these Seymour Duncans. Might be this Esquire has a surplus of twang but it sure sounds nice.

++

Robt, what type of half bridge plate did you try? I think if you use something like a Taipantone brass 1/2 plate, you might have this issue. Guitar used to have one - it has improved very sweetly with the .048 steel.

14. robt57

I did a vintage Fender which I cut myself, and a hard tail Modern Fender with polished saddles, sintered I guess.
    I did find I like the cut bridge better with a hotter PUP.
    I used some stainless saddles on the vintage 3x setup.

15. fendorst

fendorst Banned

when screwing the bridge pickup directly into the body cavity i didn't' use foam beneath the pickup. i used three springs.

i've tried foam in the past (for the neck pickup) but foam gets fatigued after a short while and it "remembers" the shape it was in. so if you try to raise the pickup, the foam no longer expands or pushes upward, and the pickup doesn't raise.

long story short, i put three springs under the bridge pickup, same deal as using two spring under the neck pickup.

16. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Here's how Fender does it on the G.E.Smith

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied

Yeah, the bridge pup rout is obviously shallower on the GE Smith.

I use tubing, and stainless steel #2 x 5/8ths inches phill. pan head sheet metal screws. Product # 9864 from www.boltdepot.com. .75 length screws will work fine, also.

The bed of closed cell foam is, I think, a mistake. As observed, it doesn't rebound when crushed down over time. And, if you winch the pup down with the fasteners while suspending the pickup under the middle of the base plate, you will distort the base plate and it may separate from the Bobbin. It could cause some serious squeal, which I discovered on a Keystone T bridge pup.

18. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Thanks for all the replies guys...the tubing and screws or perhaps the springs methods sound the best. I will keep you posted on progress when I get my Baja.

A guitar store owning friend of mine has 10 Bajas coming in this week, he's gonna cherry pick the nicest (and lightest) for me! 'cited!

19. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

So here are they putting the rubber tubing under the pickup to prop it up? Is that screw also there to stop the pickup falling down?

20. Tom_B

Tom_B Tele-Meister

hmmm... Yeah, the route on mine was very deep, so I couldn't find tubing or springs long enough to bring the pup high enough. I went with foam which, btw, is much easier to install and haven't had any problems, yet. But maybe I'm just lucky so far... I could definitely see the plate separating or the foam decaying. But that surgical tubing rots, too. Anywho, I don't mind getting back in there if I have to replace the foam or whatever.

21. cband7

cband7 Friend of Leo's

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.