Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Installed a Tusq nut

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Keefsdad, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    On my Monoprice Tele. I was surprised at how easy it was. The guitar played fine as it was but the spacing was off and it bugged me to look at it. The fingerboard is flatter than a Fender, probably 12.5 radius, so i left the little tab in the middle on, and it worked perfectly. I just had to sand the edges down a little. The string height was perfect as is.

2. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I put a tusq nut on my washburn 335 clone, and the hardest part was filing out the groove on the neck to accept the new nut (the stock nut on the guitar was narrower, cheap and made the A and D strings sound weird).
    But once I got the neck groove cut correctly, it popped right in, all the pre-cut slots were perfect, and it really improved the tone of the A/D strings. Plus, no more binding "pings".

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

4. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    The easier thing to do is to file the the thickness of the nut to fit the slot:)

rich815 and tarheelbob like this.
  5. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    This. :)

rich815 likes this.
  6. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Yep I did do a bit of that, but the slot needed to be cleaned up and deepened a bit anyway.

I agree.

boris bubbanov likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.