Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

inside the four-way switch

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ndcaster, Feb 24, 2017.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    The one I have came pre-wired like this:

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 2.40.35 PM.png

The wiring of the switch, minus any pickup wires, looks like this:

four-way-switch-my-reverse.jpg
    Where do I attach the neck ground wire and the two hot wires from neck and bridge?

I've looked at dozens of wiring diagrams, understand how lugs are paired (see colors above), and even understand how the common lugs work. But my head is really turned around at this point and I've been staring at it too long. Any help much, much appreciated.

Here's a blank image if you want to get fancy with the graphics:

four-way-switch-reverse.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017

2. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    i prefer the humbucking modes in the middle 2/3 switch positions ...

[​IMG]

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I have this:

Attached Files:

4. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    this is great, you guys rock

Rob, the neck ground and the bridge hot are connected to common lugs, correct? I want to study the switching and really understand the routes of each position.

5. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

Ground (black) wire from the neck pup goes to the bottom lug on the left. Hot lead from the neck pup goes to second lug from top on the right.
    Bridge pup ground goes to back of volume pot. Hot from bridge goes to top lug on right side of switch.
    2nd and 3rd lugs on right side of switch are jumpered together, then wired to left lug on vol pot. Bottom lug on rt side of switch is jumpered to 2nd lug from botom on left side of switch. And also on left side, 2nd and third lugs from the top are jumpered together, then soldered to back of volume pot.

Hot lead from jack goes on middle lug of vol pot, ground soldered to back of vol pot - you should have 4 grounds there- the one from the 2 jumpered lugs on the switch,the bridge pup ground, the ground wire from the bridge itself, and the ground from the output jack.
    Left lead of vol pot ( which has the lead from the 2nd and 3rd lugs on rt side of the switch, gets a lead going to the left lug of the tone pot. Your tone cap is soldered between the middle lug on the tone pot to the right lug on the vol pot, then grounded to back of vol pot. Then, a ground lead goes from that spot on back of vol pot and is soldered to the back of the tone pot.
    Clear as mud?
    You really need a visual.

I just ripped my four way out because I am replacing pickups and never used the 4 position.

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I've got a neck pickup that meters 3.8 and a bridge at 5.2, so I'm thinking the 9k combination might sound really good, i.e. not so overbearing

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    so is position 1 (bridge only) indicated by the dark blue lugs below?
    four-way-rev-rob.jpg
    let me see if I can explain the routes:

position 1 (dark blue) bridge only: hot signal comes via top lug, right side, which is a common lug and therefore accessible by bottom lug, right side. the left side lug grounds the signal.

position 2 (light green) neck and bridge in parallel: hot bridge signal again comes via top lug right side, which is a common lug and therefore accessible by the light green lug on the same side. the left side's lug, via jumper, grounds the hot bridge signal because left side's lug is connected to the neck's ground on that side via the common lug. but how do you describe the output? "parallel" means what? that the hot output signals travel side by side? I don't quite understand how the signals combine without being summed (as they are in series).

position 3 (light blue) neck and bridge in series: hot bridge signal, via the right-side common lug, goes out the light blue lug on that side -- and so does the hot neck signal, which is grounded by the left side's ground.

position 4 (orange) neck only: I see the incoming hot neck signal and its route out via the light blue lug on the same side, and I get how the orange lug on the left side is grounded via the common lug on that side. what I don't understand is why the hot bridge signal isn't excluded: being connected to the common lug on that side, isn't it connected to the lug below it? like so:
    four-way-rev-p4.jpg

Gibson likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.