Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Inlay before pore fill or after

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Randy Jones, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:26 PM.

1. Randy Jones

Randy Jones TDPRI Member

May 24, 2016
    San Francisco
    I have a curly walnut headplate to be pore filled (thinking drywall compound plus black leather dye since i have it on hand) and inlayed with a logo i've cut from white mother of pearl. Wondering which order of operations? Worried the pore fill with black dye will stain the mother of pearl. Please advise.

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I'm thinking I'd do that leather dye part and get the bottle completely out of the room before getting out the pearl.
    Have you ever used that stuff?
    It's great for permanently changing the color of things. If you get it on your skin its pretty much like a tattoo.
    ok, I'm exagerating a little, but not a whole lot.

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

Aug 22, 2018
    Washington
    I do all my inlay first, often using a little parent wood with epoxy to fill any gaps. I also do any binding at this time. Scrape both the pearl and the binding flush, then pore fill (I'm a zpoxy sort of guy but other stuff will work too). It might be necessary to scrape the pearl once again right before shooting your lacquer - I use a box cutter blade made safe with tape.

Also, while I've never used leather dye to stain wood, I do do a lot of staining with other dyes. I always do that before the pore fill (my pore fill is basically clear or very slightly amber so the dye shows thru. Also I use the pore fill to help pop the figure of my wood so I like to put it on just before the finish coats

4. Freeman Keller

Aug 22, 2018
    Washington
    I was looking for a picture that showed inlay and some stain, couldn't find anything but this is some pearl inlayed in rosewood using epoxy with rosewood dust. Kind of messy

IMG_1060.JPG

Here it is scraped back
    IMG_1061.JPG IMG_1662.JPG

And here it is with paste pore filler and nitro

Randy Jones and trapdoor2 like this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Aug 22, 2018
    Washington
    I'll add a comment while I'm still thinking of this - if you are cutting your own pearl you will have some scraps. Test your dye on them to make sure it won't be absorbed by the MOP. My experience is that the stains I've used scrape off without coloring the pearl but, as they always say, practice on scrap.

6. Randy Jones

Randy Jones TDPRI Member

May 24, 2016
    San Francisco
    1A8BD3F2-E008-4C04-9C9D-5C9ADB191F5D.jpeg 8B69F9B7-3EC2-42FA-8CE9-B27BC348088A.jpeg Thank you for the advice! Will test on scrap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.