Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Inherited a Mando...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by CK Dexter Haven, Apr 15, 2018.

1. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    545FE6F2-E6B0-4FB3-9316-73149059E90A.jpeg 1969 Suzuki #601

Basic MIJ laminate flat back strummer.
    Good condition, belonged to a in law who is moving to assisted living. I can use my GC string card to get ‘er goin’
    I don’t think those BD’s are the best choice at this point.

A bit of history..

Ihttp://www.mandolinluthier.com/japanese_mandolin_makers_suzuki.htm.

I also got a nice stamp album..

2. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's

Interesting! Looks similar to an Ovation headstock. What's the pickguard? Vintage strings!

3. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    At first I thought it was some sort of thin bamboo or papyrus under the varnish since most that come up on line see to be the same, but I did find a photo of one with a black plastic PG in the same shape, so i think its some type of thin adhesive that wasn't very effective, oddly the spot is not rough so the PO may have sanded it down and sealed it..

The BD box is full of used strings, and a few envelopes; still a neat thing to have..

asatfan likes this.

4. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine

5. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Umm...I have had a old Harmony for years, I know 3-4 chords; it mostly hangs on the wall, I use it on occasion for porch sitting, I will probably sell that one & hang this one in it's place..

A man has gotta know his limits, mine start at folk instruments..

Charlie Bernstein likes this.

6. Charlie Bernstein

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Well, that's that, then!

7. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2009
    Brit in Australia
    My daughter plays a mando and when I visit her (she's an eight hour drive away) I love playing her mando. It really messes with my head for the first half hour as I rewire my brain for the different tuning, but it's great because I find myself producing riffs and stuff that I wouldn't have discovered with guitar standard tuning.

Have fun ........

8. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Tune one to open G or some other alt tuning.

9. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2009
    North Georgia
    Fiddles have plenty of altered tunings; mandolin, not so much.

10. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    GDGD is what I did and I was amazed at how much jangle it brought out of the instrument.

11. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Remember... mandolin chords are the same as guitar chords on the four big strings...except backwards...

;)

RodeoTex likes this.

12. Charlie Bernstein

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Covers an old stove pipe, does it?

13. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    ... I think the larger members of the mandolin family are rife with alternate tunings. "Mandolin" is the diminutive of "mandola", just as "violin" is the diminutive of "viola". Anyhow, for mandolas and bouzouki's and such you run into octave tunings (as mentioned above), re-entrants and some of the same modal things you can hear on a banjo. It's not the Appalachian tradition, it's those wacky Celtics...

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

15. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    some people crosstune theirs.

16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I occasionally have thought of getting a mandolin and attempting to learn it. Then I come to my senses. It's a struggle for me to play guitar decently and adding another instrument (other than bass) is system overload for my limited abilities and un-talent.

17. Charlie Bernstein

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    You could look at it differently. I bought a $50 mando on a whim five years ago after 45 years of just guitar.

I figured: I already suck at one instrument. Why not two?

Turned out mando's a four-star hoot. Two more have moved in since then.

Some selling points:

- They're more portable than a guitar. You can walk all over the house with a mando around your neck without bumping anything. You can actually cook without putting down your mando.​

- Chords and scales are a lot lot lot more logical.

- Chords are easy to figure out because the strings are just bass strings in reverse order.

- At jams, there are fewer mandos than guitars.

- If you like hitting the highs, mandos leave cutaway acoustic guitars in the whirling dust.​

If I'd "come to my senses" when the cheap mando got offered to me, I'd've missed out on a lot of fun.

18. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    I’m clearly dense and don’t understand many things, but I really can’t understand how there are “not so much” alternate tunings for a mandolin.

19. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

In my opinion, if one wants to learn the mandolin, it's best to start out in standard tuning: G D A E (reverse order of the lowest 4 strings on a guitar.) Once you have the basics, then mess around with alternate tunings.

If you just want a different sounding instrument to add to your arsenal for jamming and/or generally just playing around with a mandolin, then by all means, tune it however you want. G D G D is good for droney sounding melodic lines.

The "crosstuning" referred to above is tuning some or all of the strings to a different interval than a unison. The tune, "Get Up John" by Bill Monroe is in crosstuning : AF# DD AA AD.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.