Info please on 2006 Classic Series 50s Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by warmachine, Mar 21, 2019.

1. warmachine

warmachine TDPRI Member

I have little knowledge about the Classic Series 50’s Telecaster and if I understand correctly it’s considered more of a nod to the past, instead of a Reissue model. I might check out a 2006 sunburst Made in Mexico.

I understand this one has Cts pots, no vintage cloth wiring and according to the catalog link below on page 74 it lists Alnico pickups, Ash body, vintage style bridge. However no mention if poly or nitro neck or body.

Anyone give me any more insight on how this guitar stacks up against a reissue Telecaster?

Are the stock pickups worthy or are more preferable upgrades you’d suggest? I’d like something to hit the classic Tele twang, but be useful with overdrive as well.

https://issuu.com/fender/docs/frontline_2006

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  2. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Classic series - both 50s and 60s - are highly regarded here and some very knowledgeable guy will surely chime in.

what I can tell you is that these guitars are rather inspired by, not exact reissues. So the 50s has the "wrong" screws for exemple and the steel saddles of the mid- and late- decade. But it has the 7.25 radius with small frets for an authentic feel.
    Of course you can upgrade the pick ups but I highly recommend you to give them some time and see if they grow on you. Again they are "wrong" pick ups, no base plate etc. so they souldn't work. But they actually do.

FWIW I really love my classic 60s and will never part with it.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  3. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I think it was in 2013 that they started the lacquer version, in 2006 they were all poly.
    I have a poly 50's Esquire and one of the newer lacquer 50's Tele's and I like them both a lot.
    I swapped out the pickups even though I like the originals, for noiseless because I hate hum. Otherwise nothing needed they are great from the factory if you ask me.

4. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

They are great quality guitars that deliver a classic Telecaster vibe.Some vintage correct details have been overlooked such as a Nitrocellulose lacquer finish and vintage correct electronics(an original 1950s one would have cloth wire,fiber bobbins with copper base plate on the bridge pickup).But the essence of the classic Tele voice and vibe is all there and these are very genuine and affordable Telecasters.

Flaneur and t guitar floyd like this.
  5. Jason99

Jason99 TDPRI Member

They have a lacquer option of the classic series. I own the telecaster version and it's gorgeous

6. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

MIM Classic 60s Tele from the late 1990s is my #1 guitar. The neck p/up is fantastic.

7. Sax-son

Sax-son TDPRI Member

I have played a few and I like them. For a few bucks you can always buy a pre-made vintage wiring harness and slap one in there. The only problem for me is that I don't prefer the 7.25 fretboard radius. It's more of a personal thing for me, but if you can handle that, they are a bargain.

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

My MIM Classic 50s Esquire was made in 2006, and I love it. It's not too far off from a reasonable replica of a '57/'58-ish Tele/Esquire. Mine has some lovely 3D flame on the neck.

I hated the pickup that came in it, which I found kind of shrill and 1-dimensional, but changing that was all the guitar needed. My understanding is that later Classic 50s came with much better pickups. The finish on these guitars is Poly, but it's not obnoxiously thick or plastic-y.

9. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Poly. Nice guitars.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  10. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Yes those are cool but in 2006 they only had the Polyester version.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  11. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    Yes i like the look of these myself. I just hope that Fender don't withdraw them before i can afford one because Fender seems to be revamping the entire range at the moment. I think they should keep the classic series because they're beautiful guitars and they always get really good reviews in magazines. Guitarist magazine in the UK described them as the "real stars of the Mexican range".

As for them not being vintage accurate, yes maybe they're not aimed at the total vintage purist but i think they are close enough that most players wouldn't know the difference. I saw one on display in my local guitar store - 50s tele in white - and i really couldn't tell if it was the classic series or the AVRI 58.

Suppose the thing to do is try one and see if you like it. If you prefer the vintage spec then it's definitely the one to go for. I personally would now have a classic series in preference to the more expensive American Original simply because i like the feel of vintage the radius more than the more modern radius they are now putting on the AO range.

David Barnett likes this.
  12. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have one in black. Love it, fantastic neck. I actually grab it ahead of my Baja. For me it plays the fastest of any of my Teles and the stock pickups give me the tones I want. I did add a 4-way switch and that just enhances the basic goodness of this guitar.

Classic 50s.jpg

13. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

They are, as indicated above, poly finished. Absolutely great platform for upgrades. I was not knocked out by it when my brother gave it to me, but after sanding the rubbery finish off the neck and replacing the pickups (I was gonna give them a year but they were gone within 4 months) and adding brass saddles it became my favorite. I also added a top hat switch tip I had from a partscaster. I can feel the pickup selector switch wearing out and I know that stamped jack cup is gonna loosen. Those are minor replacements when they finally break.

14. warmachine

warmachine TDPRI Member

Hi guys! I ended up buying the Telecaster. It’s in bad need of a setup and a replacement nut. Way too much relief and way too low action. No wonder the prior owner said he never bonded with it. The neck is awesome! Weighs exactly 8lbs.

The only negative about it is that it has some sort of finish problem under the clearcoat in some spots. The body itself is in excellent shape, the blotchy clearcoat I wonder if anyone has seen this before?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019 at 9:52 AM
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't despair, but that could be water intrusion under there.

Normally we do not have this kind of issue with these Polyester finishes. Instead, big flakes all come off at once, down to the sealer.

My #1 beef with this 50s model is, the thickness of the poly on the neck sort of partially drowns the otherwise nice sized fretwire. You play the 60s version (rosewood) and this same fretwire really shines. Can be an issue "too soon" as the fretwire wears down - there's only a wee bit of spare metal for the fret level and crowns many of us do from time to time.

warmachine likes this.
  16. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Had 2 C50s teles and a C60s tele. one of the 50s and the 60s were both 2006 which had the anniversary emblems on the back of the head. IMO the pickups are substabndard and really dislayed that when i;d roll the volume down to clean up. That was where it became real obvious to me they aren't too good. The bridge pickup doesn't even have the metal baselate so if like most u think thats part of the tele sound then thats enough to change the bridge at least. But some like em so maybe you will. Great guitars for sure and IMO every bit as good as the AVRI version aside from pickups and saddles. Saddles are ok but a set of brass fender compensated is a notable improvement in tone. They are great teles tho i will say i now have a squier classic vibe that is every bit as good but requires more upgrades to get there. Tho the pickups IMO are much better then the MIM. Nothing expensive at all tho. Mine actually sounds beefier then the 50s MIMs i had. The MIM C60s however sounded like a beast dueto the rosewood board which sounds much different. With some good pickus i felt that was one of if not THE best sounding electric i have owned in my 50 years of an endless stream of fenders and fender style guitars.

warmachine likes this.
  17. warmachine

warmachine TDPRI Member

By water intrusion you mean it happened during prep time at the factory?

I do remember checking the forums for 2006 Telecasters and saw that one members finish fell off like an eggshell on their barely used Baja. :eek: I can tell in the future that mine will possibly chip off around the neckplate corner.

The neck on this feels awesome and the tinted finish is only worn off slightly from the edge of the fretboard. Frets are awesome shape.

18. warmachine

warmachine TDPRI Member

Anyone know if a drop in nut replacement for an e to e spacing of approx 34mm e to e is available? I see that Tusq’s recommended nut for 7.25” radius fretboards specs out at 35.05mm. Too bad cause I’ve used their products before.

Does Fender pre slotted sell drop in replacements for 34mm?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019 at 7:52 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.