Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Info on Yamaha Fifty-112?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by misterbluesman, Apr 20, 2012.

1. misterbluesman

misterbluesman Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2012
    South Carolina
    Hey everyone my great aunt just gave me a Yamaha fifty-112 that she had in her attic for many years. There doesn't seem to be much info on the web about these amps. I believe mine is the first generation that was produced. Does anyone know how old that would make it? Also, I've heard it's a solid state amp, but mine looks like its got tubes in it. If anyone has some info that would be great!

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    What is the model?. (series) T was soldano based.

T50, T100

If I recall

3. misterbluesman

Apr 19, 2012
    South Carolina

4. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 22, 2011
    Northwest Iowa, USA
    The first amp I ever bought, at age 16 in 1981, was a used G30-112. It was four or five years old at the time, and had belonged to a jazz session musician. I've still got it, and it's a great amp for warm, jazzy clean tones. It's solid-state. Its built-in distortion is lousy (and so is its reverb), but it does a passable job with an overdrive. It's got a MASSIVE Yamaha Black Max (I think that's what it's called) speaker, which makes the thing much heavier than it looks. I would imagine that yours is just a more powerful version of the same amp, but I'm no expert on that line. I'm pretty sure they made them in versions up through a 100-watt 4x10. Would love to see a picture of it.

5. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2009
    not here
    They are popular amps with Jazzers and others who like big clean sounds, they are cool with a compressor and a OD pedal running infront, and if you like lo fi distortion, I have had good luck kicking in a EQ when using the built in circuit..set to taste...:lol:
    They are well made and very reliable.

The very first Yamaha amps were triangular when viewed from the side, they were replaced by grey amps with blue grille cloth..the black ones with the silverish cloth were next IIRC.

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Yamaha G50 112 , 50 watts , one 12" speaker, reverb .

I had one a while back, very warm sounding for a ss amp, the reverb sounded good too, the built in distortion no so great but put a good pedal in front of it and rock on.

I had a later model with a really cool parametric EQ for the mids, that made the amp very versatile.

Mike Stern used to use these a lot as did a lot of other guys, they are good sounding amps, the G50 is lightweight too.

Yamah made a Series II and Series III of these amps, the later ones have more sophisticated EQ and seperate clean and OD channels.

Here is one on eBay for reference

7. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2009
    not here
    SS all the way, the cylindrical things that look like tubes are probably capacitors....

8. misterbluesman

Apr 19, 2012
    South Carolina
    Ok thanks for all the info everyone! I've got to do a little electrical work to get it sounding normal again.

9. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    The first-model Yamaha G50-112 came out in the mid-70s. My best buddy and I each had one and they served us both pretty well as gigging amps. Nice clean sound with reasonable headroom, perhaps a little light in the bottom end, and the distorted sound may not have been great but it was usable. I went on to get a G15-100 too. Nice enough amps in their day and if yours is in decent condition, once it's fixed it should serve you well for as long as you want it to.

10. misterbluesman

Apr 19, 2012
    South Carolina
    Hey here's a picture after cleanup.

Attached Files:

11. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    Back in the 80's I used a borrowed G100-212 to run my acoustic through. Sounded much better than the PA. Those Yammies are nice are just starting to see a resurgence of interest.

12. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    I had that exact amp for years. Very nice, warm clean tone. Distortion (as expected) not so nice. I'm not a distortion guy, so no worries there.

My only complaint was that I thought a 50-watt amp should have been louder.

Good, clean and reliable amps.

13. dB

dB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2003
    Austin, TX
    My sentiments exactly. Wish I still had mine, but I was getting buried volume-wise in the band I was in so I had to move it. Nice amp.

14. csotolongo

csotolongo TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2015
    Hello, I have the same amp. It just started fading in and out after 10 minutes of use. What did you have to do to your amp electrically?

15. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2008
    Rhode Island
    My buddy has one. I was at his house for the first time in years and he had it sitting back in the corner. I think it was his first amp from the 80's as well. He got it used for $50!

16. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    I had the G50-112, plus the G50-210, and the 100 watt, 1x15 bass amp. Great amps!

17. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

I had one back in the early 80's too, a step up from the Guild Model 1 amp I had-still not a great amp (though the clean tone was alright), wound up trading it STRAIGHT UP for a '49 Fender Deluxe (wish I had THAT amp, fer sure!!!)... at a music store no less...

Jimmy Thackery used to use the 4-10 model with the Nighthawks back in the day... they were indeed very reliable amps!

Franc Robert

18. willhowl

willhowl Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Hey, csotolongo.......I see you jumped in over here to a 4 year old thread!.....You got responses, though......

Go back to Squier-Talk, I posted some links for you there.
    Here's one...I hope........

Good luck.......willhowl.........P.S. Thought i put more in there (S-T), just google Yam G50-112, you will see.......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.