Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Indy car vs formula 1

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Mar 11, 2018.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    The Indy 500 race is a legendary race, that has its place among the legendary circuits - as Le mans; monte carlo (rallye & f1); etc..definitely in the hall of fame of racing tracks legends

Back to OP post; The cart/indy series on the other hand is/was far from being at any level near f1 past or present. From the quality of builders, engineers, cars, etc.. and drivers of course.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Obsessed likes this.

2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    gee, I wonder what would happen if one of them Formula One drivers ever tried to drive in an Indy car... or the other way around.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Some guys can drive either, and some just fall off when they try to make the switch.

I'm looking at Bourdais right now. Really dominant over here, went to F1 and bombed out, and now he's back in Indycar and winning again - and it has been a while.

But I think about Mario Andretti. Based on his performance in Europe, you would think he would've simply crushed everyone over here on the ovals. Except, he didn't. It was a running joke for a while, the way Mario would retire from the lead, 5-10 laps to go, in so many of these Indy style races.

4. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    True. Different disciplines and philosophy at the end of the day. Even the greatest f1 driver could look like a fool on a drag strip.

5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    F-1 has Ferrari, the Tifosi and the associated "drama" ; despite years of threats to leave F-1 (and least one trial "horse" being built in the '80s..the 637) Ferrari has not participated in a US based "Indy car' series. Ferrari brings "something" to any series they participate in,even when they are not competitive. The endurance races have not been the same since they left the prototype ranks. IMHO as a chassis/engine builder they are the last direct link to the 50's & early 60's and the days of Fangio, Collins, Von Trips, Hawthorne etc. and competing against the great front engined cars from Alfa, Maserati, and Mercedes all in house full factory teams. Indy has nothing like that link to their traditional past as the Offy/Eagle combo faded away in the early '80s

boris bubbanov likes this.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Mentioning drag racing - well, that's a highly specialized form of sport. I think the main thing an Indycar, NASCAR or F1 driver could bring if he went to Drag Racing, would be to bring not his skills but his sponsors and his fan base. Kinda the same thing as Castroneves showing up on Dancing With the Stars.

I find it intriguing that some guys wash out in Indycar and F1 but they're amazing in Rallying, or in something like Paris-Dakar or whatever substitutes for it these days. If I were to get back heavily into Spectating, I think I would like to revisit the high end rally circuit.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    race car.jpg

I wonder how this would do against F1 and Indy types

Obsessed likes this.

8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I was rooting for Alonso in last year's Indy 500 -- not necessarily to win, just to do well. And he did... right up until his car died.

Dude can't catch a break.

Badger06 likes this.

9. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    It's set up for a completely different style of racing. You wouldn't take a rally car to a drag race either ;)

10. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around

11. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Ah, watching Jean Ragnotti in his Renault alpine twisting away, is best.

Some years ago - maybe 96 - they gathered the top rallye and F1 drivers to compete on 2 circuits back to back, one track, one dirt.

The rally drivers buried everybody everywhere. Michael Schumacher was there too, btw

Those rally drivers are very skilled and dangerous too

boris bubbanov likes this.

12. notmyusualuserid

May 3, 2016
    In the South

Bit tricky to drift a F1 car :)

13. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Oh they drove f1 cars on track, then rally cars on dirt. The rally drivers came on top in all cars all tracks. Not even close

14. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Watch the beauty ...& elegance (& mistakes too). Jeannot spectacular style always cost him on the chronometers, but well...

15. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    maybe he'll win at Le Mans this year!

LutherBurger likes this.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    This is my favorite class of race cars, but they are developed for endurance racing and therefore weighted down by things like headlights and windscreen wipers, so they would not be able to be competitive.

It does remind me of a historic car race day at Laguna Seca back around 1980, when they rolled out a Porsche 917 during the lunch break for some "parade" laps. It was so much fun to be there and hear this car scream through the chicane. It set an all time course record.

uriah1 likes this.

17. notmyusualuserid

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    I loved the 1970 Gulf Porsche 917K. There was nothing else quite like it when it appeared, and the livery was fantastic IMO. It made the Ferrari 512 look ordinary :)

Nearly 50 years old and it still looks fresh.

[​IMG]

18. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    It would be nice to see him win something again. Anything, really.

jhundt and trapdoor2 like this.

19. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Seattle
    T
    hat CART and IRL fight was when I stopped watching Indy cars altogether.

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My favorite all-time race car and colors.

This does bring up a perspective about different race organizations' rules. The Porsche 917 basically swept their class for a year, because Porsche decided to build 25 units to make this car eligible in it's class ... called omalagation (sp?). This is where factory involvement can create incredible leaps in vehicle technology. Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes Benz and Honda are great examples of this. Not unlike the late 60s NASCAR with engines from the big three U.S. companies, but with Chrysler starting up the auto body development just for NASCAR.

6stringcowboy likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.