Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Indy car vs formula 1

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Mar 11, 2018.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    What is major difference. F1 seems more of something. Wonder why one is more popular. They don’t do Indy in Europe ? Watching Indy St Pete today.

swany likes this.
  2. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    They don't do Indy in the rest of the world. Indy is AFAIK confined to North America. Formula 1 has a global reach, and thus a global market. F1 has also been around longer.

Mjark and RyCo1983 like this.
  3. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    No ovals in F1, just lots stupid rules about tyres, fuel, hybrid engines...

Artslap and notmyusualuserid like this.
  4. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Huge diff in the cars, too.

cabra velha and 6stringcowboy like this.
  5. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2016
    estados unidos
    If you think about the courses, F1 cars are all about acceleration and deceleration, nothing brakes like a F1 car. Thats just one difference, but one of the biggest. . .and F1 cars are filthy expensive, obscene really.

6. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    Look at how Michael Andretti did in F1 and Nigel Mansell did in Indy.

frankg11, Badger06, Driver3 and 2 others like this.
  7. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    By The Levee
    olewaylon likes this.
  8. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    F-1 has always been International .
    Indy Car has always tended to be continental .

9. jazzereh

jazzereh Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2014
    Ottawa, Canada
    I watch both some of the time but not as much as I once did. After seeing crashes some years back that killed the drivers the real thrill went away. These days I find there is much too much emphasis on the 'fine' points of racing as opposed to letting the drivers race. And there is such a difference between teams that 'racing' doesn't happen all that much although I will say there seems to be a leveling of the playing field in F1 recently and some races can get exciting. Hard to get involved with a race when the leader is 40 seconds up the track from 2nd and then another 20 seconds back to third...

The cars are similar enough to look at but as one person noted above there is a big difference in costs between F1 and Indy. And as was also noted, in F1 there is the international aspect of the venues so that people from various parts of the world can get behind drivers or teams from specific geographic areas. The cars and teams also have huge followings - Ferrari for example - all over the world.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Formula 1 has always been the ultimate road racer with no expense too much. Major corporate development at the top levels. The Indy car was just a top circle track race car developed primarily for the Indianapolis race track, that has over the years become more popular and race across the U.S. on even road courses. So, the Indy is getting pretty sophisticated, but nothing near what Formula cars are about. To me, F-1 is very exciting sophisticated racing to watch, whereas Indy is more of a boring, brute force kind of racing similar to stock car racing.

Mjark, Zeonoid, Ricky D. and 4 others like this.
  11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Also, F1 teams can change 4 tires (or tyres) in under 2 seconds.

Lupo likes this.
  12. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    F1 2018 : Engine units are hybrids. Only Ferrari , Renault , Mercedes and Honda supplies engine units.
    Combustion engine is a 1.6 litre turbo engine combined hp is more than 900 hp.
    Only three engines allowed for the 2018 season total.
    No refuelling during races , only tires. Max fuel used during race 100 litres

Zeonoid likes this.
  13. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2010
    Richmond VA
    An F1 car is the ultimate racing machine. No expense is spared, even though lip service is paid to costs by such rules as limits to the number of engines a team can use in a year, etc.

An Indy car is a damned sophisticated piece of machinery, but it's not on a level with F1. We had Indy cars at our local NASCAR track for about five years. Where NASCAR's pole speed at Richmond Raceway is right around 130 mph, the absolute track record set by an Indy car is 178 mph. That's on a 3/4 mile oval.

I'd love to drive either car!

Frank'n'censed and uriah1 like this.
  14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    they can change all 4 wheels in just over 2 seconds. The tyres are already mounted, lucky for them!

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  15. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    My company made Mercedes F1 head gaskets, not sure if they make the current generation though.

Obsessed, tery and uriah1 like this.
  16. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    I am a follower and fan of F1 because I always have been, since 1966 when I was 12. It was very hard for me to follow in the USA back then - no TV or radio, no newspaper coverage... only three-month old race reports in Road and Track magazine. Since I moved from Oakland CA to the Netherlands in 2000, I have been able to follow much more closely. Coverage of F1 is very complete here. Indy car coverage is not so good, though I can watch races if time permits.

The differences are pretty much what others have said above. My impression is that F1 is less rough-and-tumble than Indy - but as I said, I don't see that much coverage for the Indy cars.

I do prefer the pit stops at Indy races - at least the way I remember seeing them last time I watched a race. A little less high-tech and fewer mechanics running around.

They are both motor racing at the highest level, and good for them. Lucky for us there is no need to decide which is better and which is worse, we can have 'em both or choose the one that we prefer.

olewaylon likes this.
  17. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 17, 2007
    Willamette and Columbia
    Back in the way back, the Indy 500 was held to Grand Prix specs. After the debacle at Le Mans in '55, a new sanctioning body was formed in the US and it took over the Indy race. That body turned into CART, which the owner of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway got into a power struggle with and he created the Indy Racing League to try putting them out of business (that's when I kinda lost interest). They had competing series races for a few years until they eventually merged into the current body.

Essentially Indy cars are the result of a sixty year old attempt to make open wheel racing safer.

Misty Mountain and 6stringcowboy like this.
  18. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

Yes, I agree.

And to the OP, the biggest difference, imo, is that F1 is "road racing". The track has turns of varying radius and direction, like a road. Indy does some road races, but they do a lot of paved oval.
    Unlike a dirt oval, (which real stock car racing still takes place on), a paved oval is pointless, and it's as boring as motorsports gets. Dirt oval gives us sliding vehicles to watch, and a road course gives us hard braking, maneuvering, and acceleration. A paved oval gives us drafting, tire and fuel management, and boredom. The rest of the world doesn't watch our paved oval racing.

For perspective on F1, it is the highest level of motorsports in the world in terms of money and popularity, even more so than the far more exciting MotoGP motorcycle racing. In Europe and other parts of the world, everyone knows who the top F1 drivers and MotoGP riders are, because they have life size cutouts of them in gas stations. F1 drivers are household names in their countries the way I know who Kobe Bryant is even though I haven't watched basketball since the Bulls' threepeat. They're as famous as Dale Earnhardt is in the south.
    There are drivers and riders from many countries in F1 and MotoGP, but the ones from the US are probably the only ones who aren't big stars in their own country, and that's weird.

tonyj, uriah1 and Obsessed like this.
  19. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Thank you for the correction. There's probably someone on this planet who doesn't understand what is meant by "change a tire", and I don't want to confuse him.

Ducerro likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.