Indy 500

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mechanic, May 26, 2019.

1. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Just watched my 1st race in decades. Only names I recognized were from the 80s and 90s, and these were grandkids of those names. I found it interesting to watch to see how the tech has changed. Danica Patrick and Erinheart Jr. are now giving commentary. A number of pit row oops, minor wrecks up until 175th lap. 4 for car pileup stopped the race until they could clean it up. Last 10 laps numerous lead changes. In the end it was Team Penske.

2. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

Funny thing is almost no one knows Pagenaud here.

3. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Josef Newgarden is from our hometown so we root for him.

verb boten likes this.
  4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I like Indy better than NASCAR.
    I have no idea how anybody can go that fast sitting that low to the ground!
    Takes a better man than me!

Same goes for the NASCAR Drivers as well!

verb boten likes this.
  5. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

Watched the race. I snoozed through the middle which doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy the race. I try to watch it every year and tend to see about half. It is the only Indy car race I plan to watch. When Cart and Indy cars split the race lost its big luster.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    verb boten, Big Burly and dan1952 like this.
  6. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

7. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Watched Monaco F1 (boring) and then saw a blurb about Indy...so I went looking. Started watching the race around lap 150. Same here, noticed familiar names...but grandchildren of famous racers. I don't think I've seen Indy since the Andy Granatelli era.

My parents used to go every year...but that was in the 50s and early 60s. After the 1964 crash, they quit going.

Interesting last 13 laps, I enjoyed the two leaders dicing it out at the end. Basically a game of drafting, momentum and timing. I liked hearing the spotters' strategy...worked well!

8. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Americans used to win America's race, or that's what we got used to growing up.

Now, I have no idea who any of these people are.

verb boten likes this.
  9. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Today's race marked 50 years since I last went to the actual race itself. I was 12 years old and living in Dayton, Ohio when my dad took me in 1969. We moved to Texas the next year and I haven't been back since. My LEAST favorite driver at the time was Mario Andretti - despised him for what he did to the STP turbo cars in a race on a different track in 68. Of course that didn't keep him from winning the only race I actually attended.

Over the years I've tempered my dislike of the Andretti's - not that they would care! They were and are an amazing family of competitors.

Watched todays race (as I usually do) and it was a good one. I think Danica looked out of place though - and someone needs to tell Jr to shave or get a decent trim job. I've seen homeless people that were better groomed...

10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I watched the last 50 laps for the first time in many years and did enjoy it because it was just plain old good competition. I grew up watching the whole thing with my Dad. It was a real big deal to us back in the 1960s but I lost interest somewhere after the mid-1970s. It was fun to watch it again and get into it.

11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep, I miss the days of Emerson Fittipaldi, Jacques Villeneuve, Helio Castroneves, Arie Luyendyk, Juan Pablo Montoya, and Dario Franchitti.

12. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

I guess I'm dating myself as a codger. Sorry.

I grew up earlier than that; The Unsers, Foyt, Rutherford, Mears, Andretti, Jones, Johncock.....etc.

I have nothing against foreigners winning the race. Actually, they won it in the old days quite often.

I think the IndyCar/Cart split harmed Indy racing for many years. Quite possibly forever.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    verb boten and Ducerro like this.
  13. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Meant to record it but didn’t for some reason. Instead a fun day at the beach. Forgot about the race until I read this

14. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

We've been to the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race twice and enjoyed it both times.

Fun fact 1: the first time we attended it took longer to get home (traffic) than to watch the race itself.
    Fun fact 2: it's blacked out in the Indianapolis area.

verb boten likes this.
  15. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Great finish to the race.
    Tremendous driving.
    Glad no one was hurt in the pileup at lap 175. We were watching when it happened and we were holding our breath.

Stubee likes this.
  16. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I enjoyed the race... in between the commercials. :mad:

17. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Watched the race and listened to the finish in the car on Sirius XM as I had to be somewhere. I also watched qualifying and practice this year. Into Indy Car a bit more.

Good finish, but some bad moves in the pits.

Danica Patrick is a good commentator - she knows her stuff, is articulate and gave some pretty good insights.

Also watching NASCAR and F1 more often this year. I may see NASCAR at Sears Point/Sonoma Raceway in a few weeks for practice or qualifying - race day too much of a hassle. Massive traffic on two-lane roads in Napa Wine Country on a Sunday.

18. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I only watch sports that most people can play at whatever level. This kind of super-expensive, mechanized, totally specialized stuff is, to me, ridiculous beyond description. Yes. I'm sure it is super-tricky to be a great race-car driver. Couldn't care less. I honestly think this stuff is actually pretty bad in some ways.

19. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

Kind of like the French in the Tour de France.

archetype likes this.
  20. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I thought the Chevrolet brothers were French and one of them an Indy driver.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.