Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Indian Laurel Fretboards?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by vipor3d, Dec 3, 2018.

1. vipor3d

vipor3d NEW MEMBER!

Dec 3, 2018
    United States
    I ordered a Classic Vibe Custom but will not have it for a couple of weeks. The one I ordered is the newer model and has the new indian laurel fretboard instead of the rosewood. I didn't think much of it because the guitar was on sale for a great price and I have always wanted one of the CVCs. After looking more into it, though, I have noticed a pretty consistent opinion seems to be that the IL boards are lighter in color or seem to look more dry than Rosewood, but I have also read reviews from several people who say the IL varies from guitar to guitar and some look great while others don't. I haven't seen much discussion suggestion they affect the sound though. My main goal for the guitar was eventually to replace the neck with an all maple one, so I guess I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with these new IL boards or any thoughts on them? Or any "homemade" pictures? It seems that almost every online store uses the same stock images from Squier which makes it hard to tell how much the IL boards vary from guitar to guitar.

2. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Look on Ebay or SW, they both may have pics of actual guitars. Even rosewood and PF can vary quite a lot in color, and both can be dry when you get them, but a little linseed or lemon oil will fix that on any fingerboard in no time, and will make them look darker.

TequilaCaster and nicod98 like this.
  3. 808guitar

808guitar TDPRI Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Hawaii
    They can vary, and honestly, some look like garbage, almost grey. I used linseed to darken one, and regular old wood stain on another and both looked much better.

nicod98 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.