Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

In your opinion - who makes the best Tele?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Les Paul lover, Sep 8, 2017.

1. TDJMB

TDJMB TDPRI Member

Dec 4, 2009
    East Coast
    I just got a Whitfill T-52 and, yes, it's awesome. I got it for the light weight and also being able to access the truss rod without having to remove the neck. It's got that Tele sound but there's also something else in there. I'm not a fan of relic'ing but I'll overlook that for the way it plays and sounds.

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    I assemble the best Tele for myself, because I am the one spec'ing it, to my tastes. I use a variety of actual "makers" for the parts. I view myself as a "contractor" for my guitar builds, not a "maker." That said, I do make my own bodies from time to time, and I do most of my own finishing (anything that is not a metallic color, which I'm not really that into most of the time anyhow). I also design and assemble my own electronics circuits (sometimes just slight variations on stock, but often unique circuits that I came up with), and I do my own fine finish work on frets and string nuts. The very fine fret work and personalized electronics work is the stuff that I feel only I can do exactly the way I want it done.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Admin Post
    the player ....

Brucesu, Chunkocaster and 4pickupguy like this.
  4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    ^^Yup, I make the best tele for me, as wierd as it may be configured.

5. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2014
    Preston UK
  6. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    Price, build quality, playability and tone.... G&L for me.

Nubs, TeleTown and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Telegeekster

Telegeekster Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2012
    The Old Line State
    Sorry for the much delayed response. I wish I had a more intriguing answer. This guitar was simply built from a collection of parts, most of which I mail ordered, some store-bought, and the rest where sitting around. The pickguard was repainted with rattle-can Krylon (color + clear satin top coat). At the time (2015), the knotty pine bodies were available from stewmac.com. Sadly, they no longer sell them (2018 inquiry), but they said they were looking for a new supplier. None yet as of today's date.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure." There are reasons to like or dislike knotty pine. Pro's: lightweight, pretty to look at, wonderful wood to hand-finish if you enjoy doing that, and a tone that I'll describe as "buttery." Con's: soft wood dents easily. My two cents: if you get a knotty pine body, don't kill yourself perfecting the finish. Multiple coats of tung or even linseed oil will do the trick. Expect to live with the dents. "Character," you know.

8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I am inclined to say “me” because the best teles I’ve played are partscasters I’ve assembled myself.

From what I’ve seen of other boutique builders, Lucky Dog Televangelist, Ron Kirn, Rick Kelly, Nash and Palir all look good, though I’ve never owned any and only played Nash and Palir in person.

There are some builders here I deeply admire...specifically Strange Ol’ Man and Mike Simpson. Not certain if they build commercially or not... Strange might. But, wow their work!

9. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    ...........you have to ask?.........me, of course.

10. An Indonesian Squier Bullet Tele rocks my bubble.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.