Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

In your opinion - who makes the best Tele?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Les Paul lover, Sep 8, 2017.

1. deech54

deech54 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2014
    nicaragua
    I've owned 4 Tele's in my life.
    Vintage Whiteguard.
    Partscaster
    Reverend Eastsider
    Ron Kirn Old Blackie
    I like my Tele's traditional with the 3 saddle bridge. I don't think it's hard to find a good one. If I was in the market I would look at Kirn, Whitfill, K-Line, Danocaster, used CS, or RS Guitarworks.
    A good Tele is good no matter the name on the headstock. Just find one and play the snot out of it.....

2. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    England

Really not meaning to troll, you're the 2nd person implying I might.

The specs are well known, and even fender offers a mahogany set neck and body and maple cap with dual humbuckers and 24"75 scale, so standards do vary, and what makes the best tele for one (as for you by the sound of it - not a bad thing by the way) might be the most traditional type, but miggt not be what the next person wants. Yet if fender is producing so many variation on the Tele themselves, it's fair to accept other brands (imo) making their own variations.

Funny you mention the strat - I have for my own purposes what i think is the best strat in the world, and it's not a fender. It sounds just like Mark Knopfler strat on the alchemy recordings, and plays fantastically, but has a 12" radius, ball bearing mounted tremolo instead of a knife edge, and when you combine that tremolo with roller saddles, zero fret, Teflon nut...... well, the tuning stability is the best I know, even with the bridge set floating!

That said..... I must admit that my ASAT sounds significantly different than a regular Tele.

moosie likes this.

3. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Hey did you say ash Blue Telecaster...OK.....non Fender headstock? rotfl...AND ......"turbocharged"

"but might not be what the next person wants. Yet if fender is producing so many variation on the Tele themselves, it's fair to accept other brands (imo) making their own variations."

Attached Files:

4. Les Paul lover

Aug 20, 2017
    England

That's pretty sweet too. Not usually a big fan of gold hardware, but it works well with this axe, doesn't it?

5. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Since you wrote Tele instead of T- style guitar, I have no other choice besides Fender.
    Nobody else make a Tele, except players who make them with Fender parts.
    I guess Fender licensed parts can make a Tele as well.

I would suggest that your feelings you mentioned regarding your OCD and the perceived challenges setting the intonation on the three saddle bridge has nothing to do with guitars. A Fender three saddle bridge can be set up with exactly the same intonation as a six saddle bridge.
    Doubling the number of screws does not help the resulting intonation setting, it only makes it easier for hack techs and hobbyists to set intonation.
    The three saddle bridge is the most solid stable anchor for the strings compared to "more advanced" designs, and has some resulting desirable music making functions that are changed by more expensive more sophisticated bridge designs.

For me, the best Tele needs to meet a few standards, and at the top of my list is price.
    I cannot reasonably consider a Tele "best" if the builder asks $2000 or more for it. Where did that money go? Money wasted on decoration or exclusivity is not a route to a "best tool for making music" IMO.

If a player has intonation problems with the three straight saddles, they can choose three compensated saddles and then move on to all the other intonation challenges presented by the fretted guitar.

If a player wants more output from the pickups, there have been higher and lower output pickups fitted to Teles since the Telecaster first appeared.

If a player wants a flatter radius or bigger frets, those are available as well, and one can buy a new or vintage Tele with whatever more modern specs they require, without any real design changes.

I do like G&L and some of the newer design features, but for playing music with an electric guitar, none of the features functions are unavailable on a traditional '50s spec Tele.

If one finds that a G&L works better for them than any Fender Tele they've played, IMO they just haven't encountered the right Fender/ Fender spec Tele.
    And again, I'm drifting off topic comparing G&L ASATs, since they are similar, but they are not actually Teles.

Great that Leo started a couple of new guitar companies, and he even came up with some cool newish stuff. My G&L bass plays "better" than any of the Fender basses I've had, but I cannot say he improved his first guitar.

Vintage S-style guitars have some real function problems with the trem system, as do JM styles.
    The Tele not so much.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    moosie likes this.

7. guitar0621

guitar0621 TDPRI Member

May 30, 2017
    USA
    If you're smart and willing to investigate, you can fashion a partscaster with the absolute best parts in the world, specced to exactly what you want in every way possible, and have it put together by a top-tier luthier and plekked for less than a bottom-rung CS instrument. Why anyone buys anything but a partscaster bolt-on neck guitar I can't fathom.

Festus_Hagen likes this.

8. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    You may just walk into one built by whoever and like it more than your own? Sort of the like the Zen Tea master brewer who ever heard the story?

I agree though, in general, USA pretty much has the quailty market cornered would be a fair statement imo or it could be I havent tasted enough of tea elsewhere. That said there are very good luthiers worldwide. Go figure.

Les Paul lover likes this.

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida

10. dharleyfan

dharleyfan Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    Muncie Indiana
    G&L ASAT Classic S, Still made by Leo Fender, but improved and updated the way it should have been a long time ago, by Fender Guitars. Way more guitar then an American Deluxe, custom built the way I wanted it, and cheaper then an American Deluxe. G&L ASAT Classic S.jpg

Les Paul lover likes this.

11. Les Paul lover

Aug 20, 2017
    England

That's very possible - and in this case, my ASAT will probably get sold remorselessly.

It is just a very good guitar after all.

A good guitar has to fulfil some criteria for each owner.
    For me (and just me), the closer to 12" radius the better, I can't deal with 7"25.
    Jumbo/medium jumbo fret wire. Vintage narrow frets aren't comfortable to me.
    Not a fan of the ashtray plate with raised edges, or 3 saddles bridge. I like the saddle lock bridge, or variation on the TOM bridge.

That still leaves a lot of guitar for consideration - and one day, another one might be mine!!!!

12. m4ssi86

m4ssi86 TDPRI Member

Sep 13, 2017
    italy

13. Dunnigan

Dunnigan Tele-Meister

Apr 27, 2017
    USA
    Lots of good guitars out there. There's no such thing as a general best, since every player (or collector) is looking for their own assortment of features.
    What do you want to do with your guitar is a good question, then you can examine a particular guitar and see if it is a good fit.

14. Jagg76

Jagg76 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2010
    TELE-tropolis, Canada >;-)
    Fender's the only genuine Telecaster. Anything else is a copy and it's just not the 'real thing'.

That being said, there are some great copies out there. Many would say better than Fender as far as consistency from guitar to guitar. G&L are definitely up there with the best of 'em. I'm surprised no one mentioned Whitfill - I've never tried one, but I hear they're awesome.

Personally, I own 2 Telecasters:
    - Vintage '52 Hot Rod
    - MIM '92

15. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    MooreTone of course. That's all I own. :cool:

16. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I'm a big on teles made by ME also! ME always knows how I like'em and ME is easy to deal with most times. I just don't rush ME during the finishing process. A good finish takes time and ME wants me to know that.I gotta respect ME's ability so I leave ME alone once ME starts and ME will let me know when its ready to be picked up. Me has never failed to deliver and ME never charges for the labor!

Les Paul lover and Festus_Hagen like this.

17. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    Exactly!

And ME likes to spend less and get moore!

Flakey likes this.

18. Timo

Timo Tele-Meister

Oct 25, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    Danocaster

TeleTown likes this.

19. danpan

danpan Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2013
    South Dakota
    For me, right now, that is, it's these three.....The two on the right are partscasters I built and the one on the left is an American Deluxe that I modified to better suit me. The three girls.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.