Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

In your opinion - who makes the best Tele?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Les Paul lover, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    It's funny how one can get stuck in their ways. I feel exactly like you do about Les Pauls. And god knows that the single cut design with mahogany body and carved maple top and mahogany neck is hardly exclusive to Gibson these days, but whenever I see a LP type guitar without the right headstock, without that exact body shape, it usually says no to me.

For all intents and purposes, as long as the instrument is well made, it shouldn't matter really.

I should make a point of trying a 52ri one day. Heard so many good things about it.

The hot rod sounds nice too - I do better with slightly hotter pick ups, one of the reason I like the big MFD pick ups in my ASAT. Hardly high output, but slightly hotter than vintage correct output.

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Well after countless partscaster,vintage Fender ,modern Fender and Fender CS telecasters and a few other brands (G&L,Suhr etc.) I have to say it is......ME,these 2 partscasters tick all the boxes(looks,balanced tone but lots of twang,fit and finish) I do all my setups anyhow so "playability" isn't an issue for me since I can make all guitars play like butter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the ABSOLUTELY best FENDER tele I have ever played is my 2004 8502 and is a very close 3rd best after my partscasters

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

3. Les Paul lover

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    I must say that a tele made out of endangered trees, with an ivory nut and polished with whale fat isn't exactly my dream tele, but if they do some using none of those, that could be an option.

The last time I rattled my penny jar, I don't think there was quite $3500/5000 in there unfortunately......

4. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Tough to beat Fender and and my own QC check.

I guess it really depends on what you really "want" its not really controlled by need so its subjective.

You know lot of companys advanced various aspects of the Tele but it still comes down to Fender sales numbers....no one is selling these like Fender is nor is anyone selling LPs like Gibson is. Simple numbers statistically speaking so imho the preponderance of those playing a Fender Teles is a clear indication of what players think. The individual inquiry is subjective.

There are MANY that compete in just production line let alone CS and over the years... Blade and Hamer ESP, Schecter many..are just as good of a electric as a Fender. But do you want your string tree drilled completely through the headstock appears to be a better design, a diffent style headstock and so forth? So your still coming back to the original design in checking whichever electric your looking at in comparison so the original for sure is relative. Since what you buying is contingent on that point-the original design.

I think there is a point of no return with the original designs with Telecaster or LP Stat players etc. You walk that line of at what point is the design now a different guitar? Maybe they need to be double cut or a deeper top bout? Belly tuck?

However there are obviously many comparable quality electrics and also production line. You find the variance in how far people are willing to stray from these original designs and at what point is adding to the originals becoming a negative.....is well subjective.

It should be also, its not far fetched to concieve perhaps not the same guitar but an innovative better design. Here we find there isnt much to gripe about with the original design.

Les Paul lover likes this.

5. Les Paul lover

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    Knowing how to set up a guitaris a must in my opinion, you're quite right.

I've bought a number of poorly set up guitar, sold them after a full set up and had the buyer contact me later on to tell me how good the action was and how nice it was too play.

It makes such a difference, and allows a guitar to shine to its true potential.

Nice collection of teles too. I love see through finish.

MahoganyStratDZ likes this.

6. Les Paul lover

Aug 20, 2017
    England

Some really good points here.

Fender and Gibson have set the standards (pretty high!!!!) for a good number of guitars.

As I said earlier, most LP with a non Gibson headstock don't look right to me.....

When I bought my Vigier Expert instead of a Fender Stratocaster, i had to consider the headstock. The Vigier is an incredible guitar, but I had to get used to the idea of having a non Fender headstock first.....

And same with the Tele. That tele headstock is such an iconic design. But the G&L ASAT I bought fits me better in terms of tones than a USA standard telecaster, and I got over the non fender headstock.

Regardless, classic tele or evolution, there are lots of great guitars out there.

MahoganyStratDZ and Ripradiant like this.

7. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA

How long did it take to get over the headstock? :) Are you over it or still lingering feelings?

Thats like saying you got over the 55 chevy-bel air because the 56 came out? :) I mean they are both Chevys Bel airs.

Lots of great CHEVYS TOO!

telemnemonics and Les Paul lover like this.

8. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

Jul 26, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    It's my Swamp Ash SX in trans blue.

20170828_184414.jpg

9. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Ron & Hahn, (Ron Kirn & Chiloe Hahn)
    #1A & #1A.
    Unparalleled quality from both luthiers
    Pics? - nope, Own one? - nope, but "in my opinion they make the best Teles."

10. Les Paul lover

Aug 20, 2017
    England

:lol:

I've learnt to live them alright!!!!

But those headstock are part of the classic design - and when I set out in search of both my strat and my tele, I was a little disappointed not to get the classic design......

But so much happier with the tones, and in the case of my Vigier, the fantastic playability and appointments (that guitar is so well thought through!!!).

11. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Backward, outdated, anachronistic...hmmm. If you need all the bells and whistles it might be that a tele aint the right choice for you! How about this (and add double cutaway):
    IMGP0060-01Large.jpg

12. Les Paul lover

Aug 20, 2017
    England

:D

Now, that is pushing It!!!!;)

To be honest, my main gripes are answered in my G&L ASAT Special Tribute. No 3 saddles, and no bridge plate with raised side edges, which I have found very uncomfortable to play.

The saddle lock bridge on the G&L is a great little piece of engineering.

Ripradiant likes this.

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Once you get to the point where everything being used in the construction is high quality, fit and finish is top notch, and it has a good setup, it's all just a matter of personal preferences and opinion.

Les Paul lover likes this.

14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    No doubt...I'll be moving...yawn :lol:

15. Les Paul lover

Aug 20, 2017
    England

Lovely grain below that blue. That looks really nice!

jjudas likes this.

16. Les Paul lover

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    I love happy endings.

Frank'n'censed likes this.

17. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Troll much? :)

Fender, of course. Says so right on all my headstocks...

Specifically the American Vintage series, and various CS models.

They make the best Strats, too. :eek::rolleyes:

To each their own, but a Telecaster-shaped body does not a Telecaster make...

In my experience, models that veer significantly (heck, sometimes even in very minor ways) from the original design, do not have the same sound - especially the Strats. They might have a good sound, but it's a different thing then. And not what I'm looking for when I pick up a Strat or Tele.

18. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada

19. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

I've only ever played Fender or Squier Teles.

20. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    All joking aside, I hope you find the Tele(s) you need :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.