Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

In praise of the Epiphone G-400 Pro

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Ironwolf, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I recently purchased an Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400 Pro in Ebony from my local Guitar Center. I
    had been gassing for one of these for some time, and when one showed up and I was able to try it out, I pulled the trigger.

Firstly, this guitar has a surprisingly comfortable (to me) neck with excellent fret work. Very easy to play up and down. The body is comfortable in the lap and, on a strap, the balance is very good. The really amazing thing, however is the way it sounds. Whether using the humbuckers normally or split, the sound is amazing; much more articulate and snappy than you would expect from most Epiphones and easily on par with the Epi Pros I have that cost a lot more.

I must say if you are looking for a very enjoyable guitar on a modest budget, check out these G-400 Pros. I think you will be pleasantly surprised, if not immediately enamored. And, if it impresses you the way it has me, jump in there and channel your inner Angus.

SG-Pro_small.JPG

2. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    Love a quality Epiphone. It really is staggering how far they've come in a relatively short time. Now even the hardware and electronics are good, even the tuners are good, and the prices are still good. Bang for the buck doesn't get better. I love the way the g400 plays, but I have some sort of hangup about the looks. Something tells me it needs binding for some reason. The g400 custom with 3 pickups has been on the list for a while.

24 track likes this.

3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I agree it really needs binding on the neck, but, you can't have everything.

24 track likes this.

4. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Tele-Afflicted

Looks great enjoy it!!!!!

24 track likes this.

5. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Awhile back My then 6yr old daughter and I went to Long & Mcquade in Vancouver on Grandville street they as usual had a modest amount of lefty Instruments , especially in the SG flavor there was a Gibson identicle to the Epi you posted for 2700.00 and an epi same model 400 for 300.00 I played them both at length straight into a Fender twin BFRI same amp I have at home , My 6 yr old even heard the difference, and said Dad youve got to buy that guitar, (the Epi 400) the Gibson did not sound near as nice as the Epiphone I could not justify 2700.00 for the Gibson the sound was just not there, So I bought the EPI and it is a main stay of my gigging. But more to my surprise was that my kid actually heard the difference in tone and I had to agree with her.

Crawldaddy likes this.

6. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Oh by the way , cool guitar , congrats!

7. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    I hav e the same exact guitar in Cherry. Love it, but I'm selling it because I'm in search of the exact same guitar in the rare Pelham Blue color.

8. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Nice Guitar Ironwolf.

I picked one up a few weeks ago. Very good guitar for the cost.

9. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2011
    Genoa, Italy
    Cool guitar! ;)

SG1.jpg

10. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I like those G-400s too and have a black one like that, though 2005.
    A friend of mine's daughter gigs some and asked me to find her an SG so I spent a lot of time trolling CL and eventually found one for her and set it up, but out of that I was buying mostly red ones to flip for a while since I knew the market at the time. Now I'm slowly selling off those. But I'm keeping this black one.

I needed to do some finish repairs and found that mine was originally red and then factory over-coated as black (often done to align with retailer orders). Previous owner had put an SD bridge pickup in but kept the original Epi. I put the original Epi back in and made the tone change with a new capacitor and it's sounded great ever since. In 2015-ish Epiphone improved the pickups more so you should be in great shape.

One of the things I found out about the Korean Epi's (both SGs and LPs) that may have contributed to people searching them out, is most had 0.033uF tone caps in them instead of the general 0.047uF used in most others. That change seems to improve 'presence' on the older pickups. So if you get a need sometime to mod the guitar a little, I'd start with the tone caps. The value is the critical point but I tend to find the chunkier packaged ones for higher voltage (I have these 100v ones in a blue color I got from ebay for $5 for 50 but my supply is dwindling...).

IMG_4510d.JPG

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Stisch likes this.

11. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Sounds you’ve got yourself a great guitar! I owned an MIK G-400 from 2004-2016. Modded the crap out of it but eventually sold it on mainly because the guitar had tremendous neck-dive that compromised comfort while playing. Really glad your instrument does not suffer from that issue, looks like Epiphone’s quality has finally matched, and maybe surpassed the asking price!

12. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I have an Epiphone Ebony G-400 Pro (the regular model, not the 1966 one) that I picked up dirt cheap. Great guitar, and excellent value for the money even at the usual street price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.