Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

In praise of Cavalier Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by IgnatzMouse, Sep 9, 2017.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    +1 on Mike's vids. I probably upped his few count considerably when I was agonizing over which Lions to choose for my number one. He really did a great job with his videos. Not only does he showcase the pickups well, he's just a great player and really enjoyable to listen to. I've done some Cavalier demos of my own, but they pale in comparison in my opinion.

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I concur. Rob's pickups are remarkably quiet. I have no shielding in my guitar and I still get very little, if any, noise with them. Just fantastic build quality and customer service... And he turns them around remarkably fast also.

Geo and Grux like this.

3. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Not really adding anything new here, but I'll join the chorus.

I bought a 2016 50's Road Worn Tele half a year ago. I love my other Tele with Keystones, and it covers the traditional Tele tone very well. I wanted another Tele with more output and mids than the traditional, mostly for Rock and Blues. The Road Worn delivered and I've been gigging with it a lot. The stock Tex Mex pickups are surprisingly good IMO, but there have been a couple of things lacking. I like the oomph and mids of the Tex Mex neck pickup, but it can be too dark for some applications. I never play it without the tone control all the way up. The Tex Mex bridge pickup, on the other hand, can get a little muddy on the bottom, but can be harsh on the top at the same time.

So after going over Rob's website again I decided to order a Fat Lion bridge pickup and a Fat Lion King neck pickup just to see. Wow!

Higher output and mids like I wanted, but with clarity and enough treble on tap, all without getting shrill. I know Rob's site says the Fat Lion isn't best for twang, and I'm sure that's true, but I'm thrilled with the fat twang I'm getting playing down near the bridge. Just lovely sounding Tele pickups that add the mids and oomph while still sounding like a Tele. And the great service and reasonable price are much appreciated too. Rob's the man.

Mitch T and SPUDCASTER like this.

4. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    All good stuff. I have fat lion/fat lion king in a thin line. I have a Nashville/Fat, tiger strat and lion king neck in a Nashville style tele. And I have a 50's neck and mid and an SRV bridge in a strat style which I'm really liking right now.

5. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

I bought a couple. Great pickups and a super nice guy too.

6. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    I've got a Nashville lion and lioness king in this tele
    image.jpeg

That lioness is a nasty lady

7. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2016
    Wheeling WV
    I've kind of been planning, in the back of my mind, to use a set of cavaliers on my next build.

I've yet to hear a negative word about them.... Anywhere.

What I want is for a Nashville style Tele(meaning 3 pickups, not his Nashville wind pups... Just to be clear) a huge/fat bridge, whatever he recommends in the middle, and a huge neck.

I want this Tele to have a permanent frown. I think that combo might do the trick

8. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I don't understand that either. It provides plenty of fat twang. Maybe Rob just has Yankee ears. ;)

Chicago Matt likes this.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yup! I concur. The Huge can even twang on my guitar... especially rolling the volume back a bit.
    His tapped offerings such as the Twin Lions are truly a no compromise "best of both worlds" solution.

Chicago Matt likes this.

10. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

I'm new to Cavalier pickups and can't believe how good the 51/52 sounds. A great pickup made by a great guy!

11. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Love seeing all these nice words regarding Rob and his pickups. I have pickedup (lol) many tips and tricks from the man. His willingness to help other winders is something I can't thank him enough for!

lineboat and Amby like this.

12. LAGinz

LAGinz TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Is that Fat Lioness pretty quiet , or does the lack of a cover inevitably lead to more noise ?

13. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2011
    michigan
    You Guys are gonna make Him Blush!
    Ive always enjoyed reading what he has to say.

14. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Both pickups are about the same noise wise.

15. asatbender

asatbender Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2003
    Calhoun, GA
    Which set would be good for Brad Paisley/Jimmy Olander/Mike Campbell tones?

16. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    In my humble opinion and experience with Robs pickups, I would say, depending on how heavy or light handed you are, any of Lions starting with the Bakerfield, Nashville and if you have a lighter touch even a Fat will get you into Olander territory. Paisley to my ears has a more aggressive Esquire or Broadcaster growl kinda vibe. Really cant go wrong with any of them. Call Rob and let him know what you are after, he'll hook you up.

El Tele Lobo and Nickadermis like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.