Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

In praise of Cavalier Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by IgnatzMouse, Sep 9, 2017.

1. IgnatzMouse

IgnatzMouse TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2013
    CT, USA
    I know that I'm not the first to say this, but these are tremendous pickups and Rob is a very approachable (and patient) person. Two weeks ago I installed a Nocaster Lion bridge pickup paired with a TK Smith Charlie Christian neck pickup in a parts caster. Today I installed another Nocaster Lion bridge and a Lioness pickup in another parts caster. These pickups are the bomb! Rob is really easy to work with and incredibly responsive and helpful. If you haven't tried his pickups out before, you owe it to yourself...

2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    No sir you are not the first nor will you be the last. Rob has earned the praise he gets here one pickup at a time. A master at what he does and a stand up guy! Cavs rule!!!!

El Tele Lobo, Grux, lineboat and 2 others like this.

3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I completely agree. Best customer service I've ever received and a fantastic product. Cheers, Rob!

4. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    No argument here.

If only he wound humbuckers and P90's...

lineboat and IgnatzMouse like this.

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    hey mouse, why not the 51/52 Lion with TK's pickup? I'm wondering what advice you got

IgnatzMouse likes this.

6. IgnatzMouse

IgnatzMouse TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2013
    CT, USA
    Hmm, I got no advice. I went with the Nocasters on a hunch. I like it very much, but I'd be interested to hear why you recommend the 51/52 Lion. I'm not averse to replacing the pickup, if convinced!

7. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Another big Cavalier fan here. I've been playing my Strats pretty hard here lately, and the one with Cavaliers gets the most attention. There's an extra oomph to them you can find anywhere else. Thanks a million Rob!

8. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    oh, no reason on my end

51/52 is 43awg over a3 and wound to 7.8k rather than 42awg over a3 wound to 10k

the TK is wound to much less, but I can't measure its inductance

you wanted more mids and power in the bridge, right?

El Tele Lobo and IgnatzMouse like this.

9. IgnatzMouse

IgnatzMouse TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2013
    CT, USA
    Ah, I see. Interesting, although I take Rob's point (on his site) that the numbers don't really tell you much (nor the videos) about what the pickups will sound like in your rig. Still, it's tempting to think about getting one and doing an a/b comparison, at least through a recording. But, for right now, it sounds good. One thing that I have noticed is some slight differences between the two Nocaster bridge PUs in the different guitars. The CC has a 500k volume pot with 250k tone pot, while the other guitar is a straightforward Tele set up. The bridge pickups are approximately at the same height. To my ears, if I don't roll of the tone somewhat on the CC, the bridge PU is a little more "quacky" (for lack of a better term - compressed, maybe?) than the same PU in the more standard partscaster. It's extremely subtle, and certainly not as pronounced as I thought it might be and it doesn't make much of a difference. The essential character of the PU is the same. What else is interesting about that is that it is not more ice-pick like in the CC. Maybe that would change if I also had a 500k tone pot, but that's a bridge too far (pun somewhat intended).

El Tele Lobo and ndcaster like this.

10. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The 51/52 is 42 AWG over the A3's(7.8k) and the Nocaster is 43AWG over the A3's(10k).

IgnatzMouse likes this.

11. IgnatzMouse

IgnatzMouse TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2013
    CT, USA
    Thanks! have you tried both?

12. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    How would you describe the sonic differences?

13. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I just pulled the trigger today on the 51/52 lion for my esquire! I was leaning Nashville for a while but I have a hunch I'll like the 51/52 better.

SPUDCASTER and IgnatzMouse like this.

14. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I already have four of his Tele pickups. Suppose I'll have to buy a 51/52 to answer my question. Good thing his pickups aren't expensive.

El Tele Lobo and Grux like this.

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    anyone measured the henries of TK's CCII neck?

16. SPUDCASTER

Rob describes the 51/52as having more midrange than the Nocaster. I have several other Nocaster type pickups (A3/43 wire).

As we speak, I'm ordering a 51/52. I'm anticipating more of a Pete Anderson sound. Maybe? Hope so.

Roknfnrol's videos seem a pretty good, or at least close to the best that can be done for a internet offering. I've listened to both the Nocaster and 51/52 videos, and the 51/52 seems to have a little more midrange bark as Rob points out.

Chicago Matt, El Tele Lobo and Grux like this.

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Ordered a Fat Lion today.

Grux and El Tele Lobo like this.

18. SPUDCASTER

I have a Fat/Bakersfield Lion. Love both taps.

You'll enjoy it I'm sure.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

19. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    I have a 51/52 and a Lion King neck pickup I bought a while back that I'm going to fit into one of my Teles when I get around to it along with a 4 way switch, I presume they should be a good match?

20. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Don't see why they wouldn't.

One of the things I hear about Rob's pickups is that they're quieter than pickups from other winders. That'd be great, if true.

The 4-way switch should be standard. It's a cheap and elegant addition; surely Leo would've approved.

LAGinz and El Tele Lobo like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.