Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

In-Ear Monitors vs. Monitors

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Bandit, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Bandit

Bandit Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2005
    Canada, Ontario
    How many people prefer In-Ear Monitors?

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    I do not.
    Only because I would need somebody at the Top of their Game to run them while I'm performing.
    Floor wedges are a but more cumbersome but, so far, they are working for me.

soulman969 likes this.

3. Freewheelin_Bob

Freewheelin_Bob TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Boston, Ma
    I started at a church (cliched, I know)that used wedges. Got real loud, real fast. Countless headaches afterwards. First purchase I made when I thought about playing live was a PSM 300. Save your ears. I'm a believer of only achieving greatness through sacrifice. But developing tinnitus or worse yet ... losing my hearing later on in life... not for me. Campaigns and famous artists like Chris Martin of Coldplay are raising awareness of hearing loss and conditions like tinnitus due to constant exposure to loud music. Some don't experience so much as a headache and others suffer greatly. Everyone is different. *Cliched*
    Cheers

4. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2007
    Camas, WA
    I prefer IEM's or very small monitors like the Mackie Sm150's.
    At 60, I want to save what hearing I have left.
    Plus, its nice to pan voices/ instruments left and right.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    We don't use any monitors. We have a Bose stick behind the drummer and we go on what's coming out of it. For larger stages, a PA is provided and we use wedges. I've never tried in-ears. I'm 64 and my hearing is still pretty good. I have a slight dip between 3 and 4K (High notes on a guitar? Feedback frequencies?)

Martin R and soulman969 like this.

6. h2odog

h2odog Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2017
    The Dalles, Oregon
    Wedges. I'm old school. ;)

Grux likes this.

7. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 7, 2007
    California
    I don't have "real" ones, but I have taken to using earbuds with the band. Amazingly better. I can actually hear myself.

8. stratman54

stratman54 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    US
    Used them both. I prefer IEM because of no bleed through from other monitors. No more "I need more me in the monitor mix". We all get the mix we like. The sound guys love them too.

9. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2012
    Indy
    I prefer them over wedges. No more ear ringing after practice. Our recorded practices sound noticeably better after the switch.

10. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Aug 16, 2013
    Oak Park, IL
    I much prefer in ear, but only if the receiver has a built in limiter. Feedback through in ears are a whole new level of pain if you do not. As there is no live performances in my near to medium range future I just sold my trusty Shure PSM200 setup. Not stereo, but still a very nice setup.

11. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Holic

Mar 23, 2003
    Midland TX
    I hate the things, with as much hate as one man can muster. They eliminate your environment, they eliminate the interaction between instrument and speaker, and unless properly EQd and limited, will permanently destroy your hearing in a short time.

12. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

Aug 1, 2011
    south carolina
    I've never tried in-ears but I can imagine it would make loading in much easier.

13. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I hate wearing ear buds of any type, so I don't see IEMs anytime in my future.
    (I use headphones for personal music listening)

It also seems strange to me to hear people talk about how IEMs will save their hearing vs. floor wedges.
    How loud are your floor monitors???
    Excessive volume in headphones or IEMs is more potentially damaging that a speaker sitting 6 feet away.

But then we're a bunch of geezers who've played for a lot of years and we keep our stage volume and balance pretty reasonable - we also want to keep the hearing we do have left intact. :)

We don't mic everything either, so vocals are typically the only thing coming through the PA.
    We also don't have a dedicated sound guy for most gigs. IEMs really aren't practical for the bands I'm in and the gigs we play.

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I'm in favor of an old school approach as well. It's what I'm accustomed to. Unless we were using a Bose type stick or similar one like Paul mentioned I'd prefer floor monitors with a mix I prefer in mine.

Grux likes this.

15. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    I'm ready to try IEMs. Our lead player is loud. Last gig was a small venue so we went without monitors. I couldn't hear myself. I over sang. By the 4th set I was done. I have to find a better way. And yes, in a perfect world the lead player would turn down. But this wouldn't be the first band with a lead guitarist that didn't realize his volume knob can go in both directions.:D

broadcaster likes this.

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'd love to try them.
    Maybe when I grow up.:rolleyes:;):)

17. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Leesburg, GA
    I use them when I play at church but other than that it's floor wedges. With the right mixer along with the ability to mix my own ears, I much prefer IEM. But in a normal gig situation where we don't have much time for setup, the wedges still work fine.

18. TBurst Std

TBurst Std TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Winter Park, FL
    Most definitely prefer IEMs and the ability for me to control my own mix. I end up with a much better mix and much,much quicker.

19. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    My concern for the monitors is that they deliver to all of us on stage a true representation of what the crowd, the audience, is hearing.

In that regard, properly-placed conventional monitor speakers work just fine for me and my band.

That, and it's one less pain-in-the-ass device to have to set-up during the load-in.

Am I allowed to say also that wearing in-ear devices can be distracting and off-putting to the audience?
    Just like an un-used capo or mini-tuner clipped to the headstock of a guitar.

Ugly, eye-catching, and vulgar.

I think I will pass.
    :oops:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.