Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

In Defence of the Accordion

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by kplamann, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Love this guy's accordion playing. No, I'm not kidding. And he's got real pipes too.

2. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles

3. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    I like the accordion in Zydeco music and I like Polkas, I watch "Molly B. Polka Party" on RFD every week. In fact; while living in Northern Illinois in the "70's I played in a Nashville country band, we played LOTS of polkas; the guitarist had played in polka bands and kept his connections. One night I played the tuba parts on my Jazz bass with the "Six Fat Dutchmen" for a date when the tuba player was out; quite an experience; I think they would rather have had a tuba but I put a bit of vibrato on and got thru the night. Kind of off track there, but..........

Anyway you can't describe how to play an accordion without moving your arms.

4. nielsk

nielsk Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2015
    Netherlands
    Painter Song - Norah Jones

AKB - disco klezmer

5. Airguitar

Airguitar Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2010
    Benoni, South Africa
    If it's good enough for Mark Knopfler, it's good enough. Period.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 4:29 AM
    boris bubbanov likes this.

6. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    I grew up in Houston with the neighbors playing Conjunto/Nortneo music on the weekends, so I love it through osmosis.

End of the month I make the pilgrimage to Austin and the Continental Club to see the Reverend Horton Heat with Flaco Jiminez.
    I have to say this is a bucket list type show for me.

Flaco with Dwight

It's in Punk music too

When its just the melody

Big_Bend and bottlenecker like this.

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    I've heard that in East Texas they play button accordions due the the early German immigrant population and in West Louisiana they play key accordions due to the early French immigrant population. Any validation for this? Total nonsense?

8. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    That's the way I get it as well. Though I am not expert.

You might watch the documentary, "this aint no mouse music"
    Great flick and they talk about Music in Texas and Louisiana, though they may discuss a detail like that.(been a few years since I watched it)

9. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I love conjunto and flaco!

fendertx likes this.

10. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Young Welsh group, Calan... accordion doesn't come in till the second half, and as with most Celtic there is not a lot of improvisation, but still...

John Kirkpatrick on the button accordion...

Flaco Jimenez with Ry Cooder and others.

Gotan Project's slinky dub/hip-hop/tango rendition of Frank Zappa's "Chunga's Revenge" -

nielsk likes this.

11. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I knew conjunto was the result of german settlers, but I didn't realize the piano accordion was french. It seems to be common in accordion music in general these days. Maybe even taking over?
    There is a concertina bar in milwaukee that does not allow piano accordions. Only button boxes.

12. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Wow... I guess a concertina bar was inevitable, in Milwaukee no less.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

There was a mean old guy, guitar teacher (I wouldn't go there) and hear he would say to the underperforming student:

"Don't do to the six string guitar, what Lawrence Welk did to the accordion".

14. boris bubbanov

Well, the German and Czech influence in Texas is actually a little further west, Hill Country and points North.

And a lot more of the people in South Louisiana assumed to be French are in fact German. Hence the name of one town "Des Allemans". I wish I would pay more attention to this - I've seen one heck of a lot of buttonboxes in Louisiana. But what percentage?

15. boris bubbanov

I think people freak out about "Accordion Music" when it is the music and not the accordion that's the problem. As long as the music is actually compelling, I don't mind either way:

Use it in place of an electric rhythm guitar.

16. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    It's been around a while. I saw a great polka documentary somewhere interviewing the owner, and piano accordion players who didn't like him. Pretty funny. I think he was right about the concertina having a sweeter sound, but I love the big bass from the piano accordion.
    I would bet the reason for the popularity of the piano accordion's popularity is the ease of transferring piano skills. The accordion player in my own band picked it up because she could play piano. Now she's gotten pretty good at the button side too.

17. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Plus Moravians and other somewhat obscure people who peopled Texas. Who knows what musical influences they brought?

18. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 5:07 AM

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.