Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

In 1986

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I had just gotten a Sony CD player. I had a 70's Marantz receiver, and Realistic Optimus 1 speakers... these...

[​IMG]

I had a turntable too, but I don't remember what it was. Audio doesn't get much better than this. I used to drive my parents crazy cranking the album Bayou Country.

studio1087 likes this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I was trying to figure out how to install a home stereo into my new 18yo car.:)
    It was not possible back then and a few months later I bought a real car stereo with built in cassette player and separate 7 band eq/ amp. CD's came about ten years later for me in the form of a $100 Sony Boom box.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Phrygian77 likes this.
  3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    When I was an Electronics/ Maths student I used to build stereo systems for money to get by, They were Philips kits with an amp., EQ, Speakers but the buyer had to buy a turntable. I liked the JVC model.
    Later I put cassette systems into cars and mounted the speakers ( usually) in the doors of the front.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I sure enjoyed my first “grown up” stereo system.
    Nothing but happy memories.
    I NEVER listen to music anymore.
    I am grateful I get to play musical all the time.
    It is a great substitute!

Phrygian77 likes this.
  5. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I was 15 in 1986 and our family had a crappy Hitachi "music system" (turntable, cassette and radio combined) but I was able to play the stuff I was into at the time (Sabbath, Tull, Zep, Purple, Floyd, etc).

The system has changed but, although I've added a lot of other bands to the list, I still love listening to music as often as I can.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    I had a Marantz 'starter' Hi-Fi setup to begin with. It replaced an old radiogram. It sounded superb. Marantz kit was good stuff!
    Then I added a Wharfedale CD player, a Sansui cassette deck and a tuner, the manufacturer name of which escapes me. I still have the tuner somewhere. It was very good.

Later, a home built amp and Dual turntable replaced the Marantz. Another step up. The CD player was traded for a ported cylinder head for my Mini. A brief dalliance with another CD player ended when my Son decided to hoik the drawer out. That was replaced with a Sony I still have and enjoy to this day.

The Marantz speakers were traded for a computer motherboard, replaced with a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds, they in turn were replaced with Wharfedale Sapphires. They're still in use.

The home brew amp was sold off, replaced with an A&R Cambridge ( still use it )

Can't remember what happened to the cassette deck.

Nothing but happy memories of that first, proper Hi-Fi.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I had a pair of second hand Bose 301’s with a Marantz turntable, and my amp, cassette deck were Yamaha. I bought a Sony CD player in 87 as a college graduation celebration.

The Yamaha fondness is ironic. I have 3 Yamaha mixers today. I still love Yamaha.

Vintage Bose! A guy wanted to trade 301’s for a guitar at the shop where I worked. We couldn’t accept home stereo gear as trades but I bought his speakers in the parking lot because I was so excited about Bose.

[​IMG]

Phrygian77 likes this.
  8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    '86 was my senior year of high school.
    Dad had the family a Realistic brand hi-fi. Listening to Willie and Merle and DAC albums that belonged to my parents. My contribution was 8-tracks of Alabama and Hank Jr.
    My '77 Chevy had AM radio.

9. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    I was still into hifi in 86. Best hifi speakers I have ever experienced was a thrift store $15(?) find.
    Altec Lansing (University Sound) bookshelf speakers.
    It was maybe 2010(?) and I still remember the natural, open, woody sound.
    Sold the pair on eBay for a fair profit... wish I hadn’t now.

10. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    My roommate and I combined forces for the stereo in our dorm room. I had a Sony Discman and he had a brand new Sony system we ran it through. It came with those weird speakers Sony made for a bit that didn't have cones, but instead had rectangular diaphragms.

Scott

11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    My dad owned a stereo retail store. Started it in 1969. Sold it in 2008 and retired. He was a dealer for...

Marantz
    McIntosh
    Bang & Olfson
    Yamaha
    Klipsch
    Nakamichi
    Boston Acoustics
    Polk Audio

And when he got into car audio, he was a dealer for Alpine and Rockford Fosgate.

I was in high school in the late 80s. I had a Nissan truck with the bed cutout into the cab, and a rubber gasket installed, and four 12" Rockford subs pumping through, with a Power 650 running them.

No wonder I'm going deaf.

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I had a huge stereo component system ( receiver, EQ, speakers, turntable, dual cassette deck) that I hauled back and forth to college in the 70's along with several crates of LP's. It was JVC since a friend of mine worked at a home electronics store and was able to get me a discount on JVC but not on Bose or Marantz. I sold it off cheap in the early 90's.

I guess all college students need to haul around today is their iPhone.

13. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    In 1975 I bought a stereo... Sansui 9090, Thorens TD145, Nakamichi 500 and a pair of JBL L100’s
    ... still have it.

14. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In 1986 my system consisted of a pair of the "large" Advent speakers, an NAD 7140 receiver and an AR XA turntable. Soon afterwards, I abandoned the turntable for a Sony CD player (possibly a CDP-30??). That NAD receiver was probably the best piece of audio gear I've ever owned.

15. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    In 1986, I had an MCS (JC Penney's-branded Technics, which was made by Panasonic) 55-watt receiver, single cassette deck, and turntable feeding a pair of ART (Acoustic Research Technologies) 12-inch speakers.

I still have the speakers; they're hooked up to the compact stereo that I have in my living room. The TV is connected to it and it sounds amazing!

16. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    I had a Yamaha Receiver, Sony Turntable and two way twelve inch speakers (I don't remember the make). I recently had it rebuilt and I use it in my garage. The turntable isn't hooked up but is supposed to work.

I also found my Sony Walkman not to long ago from the 80's. It played cassettes, was very heavy and burned through AA batteries like there was no tomorrow.

17. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    I never had a good stereo system. I was always the guy called to help move someone else's massive stereo and gazillion crates of records down multiple flights of stairs. Someone was always saying, "Watch my speakers! Watch my speakers!"

The advent of the Walkman saved my back and prolonged many friendships.

18. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I had a workshop for composites stuff in an industrial park. I had a 100W receiver and some big speakers.

All I did was tune to a really great college radio station and turn it up to nuclear volumes. I needed to hear it over power tools and while wearing earmuffs some of the time.

Even behind a closed door the neighbors still complained. I was 31 and pretty cocky so I told everyone to ---- off.

19. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    In 1986 I had my very own cheap magnavox turntable/dual cassette combo with detached speakers (that was a step up for me!). I was 15.

20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

In 1986 I did what all good soldiers do when stationed in Europe. They buy the best you can get from the PX.

2 Nakamichi decks; a RX 202 and MR 1, Denon DP-62L turntable, Yamaha 80 series pre amp and amplifier, Carver TX 11a tuner and DTL-200MK2 CD player, Boss 901 speakers, DBX 5BX-DS 5-band dynamic range controller, DBX 120X Subharmonic synthesizer, DBX 244X noise reduction unit, and a DBX 400xg Program Route Selector.

I still have most of this stuff !

It has held up well !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.