Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Impressed with new Squire Affinity Telecaster !

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Ron OBrien, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast

I've had problems with new CTS tone pots, the gradual change in tone one expects isn't present, less than a 1/4 turn at most from full treble to full bass with the remaining 3/4 having no effect at all. In my experience there's just no "fine" adjustment with CTS tone pots, maybe my expectations are too high, others are free to chime in here.

Some have suggested Bourne brand pots are superior to CTS and imports, it may be time to give them a try because CTS have left me disappointed on two projects, one a Korean-era Squier Strat the other an Affinity Tele.

scotto2609 and xafinity like this.

2. Bushi

Bushi TDPRI Member

May 14, 2017
    Hickory, NC
    Just got my Squire Affinity Tele maybe 4 weeks ago and my instructor has just raved over it. I have to admit the craftsmanship is I think better than my Strat. I will be leaving it stock as it sounds so good! tele5.jpg

Telesphere, 5ofeight and a220 like this.

3. a220

a220 TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2015
    South Jersey
    yeah I'm leaving my BSB stock too. if anything new saddles or even new bridge.

4. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast

I considered changing the bridge but changed my mind when I discovered as have many others that there are no direct replacements, you'll have to drill new holes and the new bridge won't cover the holes from the factory bridge. The only option is to fill them with toothpicks, dowel or wood putty even then you will still see them.

The cheapest and easiest upgrade, one which increases "sustain", is replacing the saddles. The factory Affinity ones are "zinc", many here including me have chosen to go with GuitarFetish (GFS) all "steel" saddles. You may have to use the factory saddle/string height screws, don't worry the threads are the same, the ones that come with the GFS saddles are too short.

link: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Upgrade...its-import-or-USA-Trems-Set-of-Six_p_773.html

While you're at it replace the plastic factory input jack plate, an inadvertent swing of the guitar while stepping on the cable will crack it. They are available in chrome, black, and gold, it's cheap insurance.

link: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Rectangular-curved-output-plate-chrome-FREE-jack_p_655.html

scotto2609 likes this.

5. Ryan Aditantra

Ryan Aditantra TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    I ever had Squier Standard Telecaster series; Vintage Blonde with rosewood fingerboard. Its color is amazing. So classic.

At first I was into Affinity Butterscotch, but really the color bother me so much as I worship AVRI 52 Butterscotch so much. I better bought vintage blonde on Standard Series rather than feeling pity for not having nice butterscotch color.

But, your guitar color will be great 5-10 years after the color of the neck and headstock turning old.

6. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2013
    Lancashire UK
    I have a couple of Squier guitars a Custom II tele & a VM Jazzmaster, both are stella performers in playability. Love them.

7. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Most suppliers of pots , incl CTS offers many different models , tapers etc. If you know which ones to get they can deliver , Im sure

8. fretknot

fretknot TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2016
    St Petersburg, FL
    Decent starter guitar for the money...had two of them, but let them go in favor of a Fender MIM.

9. freddie

freddie Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2006
    Portsmouth, U.K.

I have this same colour. Beautiful guitar and i get a lot of compliments on the colour and sound of it. It also has mother of pearl looking dot inlays. I was very shocked when I took it out of the box, I fell in love with it right then and there...I expected a low end throw away. With a hard case, I bought both for 220.00

Now I will get the 'Classic Vibe' sherwood green Strat I always wanted, because I am not afraid of Squier anymore...lol.... after all 'Squier' has 'Fender' stenciled on the headstock as well.

My wife did not believe what I paid for my Tele,I had to show her the receipt.

I use a Champion 30 amp and enjoy playing, no offence to anyone here, but I am not trying to keep up with Clapton, Paisley or Page.

Freddie

Fendereedo and Brian Wright like this.

10. freddie

freddie Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2006
    Portsmouth, U.K.
    ...another cool thing about this guitar is the bridge they chose to put on it... it can be adjusted unlike the wrap around Gibson bridge that I could never keep in tune or intonate properly.

I do not find these to be as light in weight as some have claimed. I am sure mine is in the 7.50 to 8 lb range, Tele/LP weight is different to me than Strat weight, due to the location of the strap pins....feels lighter.... or maybe I am incorrect about this.

Freddie

Freddie

11. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    What taper are you using?

12. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    The Telesphere
    Bushi, it may be just the lighting, but yours looks about a shade lighter than mine, or most, in fact. A large proportion of BSB owners on here have said theirs is a darker shade like amber orange. But that doesn't have any effect on how it sounds.

Glad you're enjoying it.

13. Garruchal

Garruchal TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Seattle
    I have a 2012 butterscotch Affinity. It cost $130. I keep it at my mother-in-law's house so I can play when I am there (mostly at the house, but also at her church and when she takes us to visit people in assisted living centers.) That is a solid instrument. Nice to play, no problems, sounds just fine. I put a pearloid pickguard on it because I like that look, but otherwise left it stock. It would be a pretty good guitar if it had better pickups, but even as-is I can't complain. It is heavy, probably more than 8 lbs. Only time will tell if the components hold up, but just in terms of playability, sound, and looks, this is a seriously under-rated guitar.

14. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    Hey freddie. Page uses a silvertone which was the squier of his day. Claptons most famous songs were recorded with a champ.

freddie likes this.

15. freddie

freddie Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2006
    Portsmouth, U.K.
    Thanks Muddy!!! I have been playing it all week with the plastic on tbe neck pickup...lol.... I normally buy used electrics...lol... now it sounds even better. I call mine 'The Shamrock' and it is settling in pretty good now.

Freddie

TheBadHombre likes this.

16. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Love mine. Lpb. I put a set of original vintage 52 pick-ups in it though it was fine stock. Love the neck(rosewood).

TheBadHombre likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.