Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Impressed with new Squire Affinity Telecaster !

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Ron OBrien, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Ron OBrien

Ron OBrien TDPRI Member

Nov 12, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    I just purchased an Affinity Tele (2016) at Guitar Center. The sound, tone, workmanship and set-up are spot on. I chose the Butterscotch Blond (alder with maple/maple neck/fingerboard). Although I prefer to buy American, this Chinese guitar is awesome for the price, a mere $200!

The only feature that's not quite accurate is the butterscotch finish, although this doesn't bother me in the least. The finish is quite attractive, a touch more amber-orange than the typical butterscotch.

Anybody else care to comment on the value of this model?

Brian Wright likes this.

2. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2009
    The outer banks of Chicagoland
    I've had two and liked them both. Will probably end up getting another and maybe replacing the pickups, although the stock ones ain't bad.

3. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    Bought one new in 2014. Considering the price, it was a great guitar right off the wall. And it made a great modding platform.

I transformed it into a vintage style nocaster tribute, which did involve changing almost everything about it. I did so not because the guitar was at all bad stock, but because that just became my vision for it. It's not really recognizable as an Affinity anymore.:D

Given the chance, I'd gladly own another and probably do very little to it.

Well, not really. The next one would be for an Esquire project. I'd leave the third one alone.......maybe.:D

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Sparky6string and Route67 like this.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

They are pretty good platforms. Here is a rescued Affinity, a very rough and tumble troubled past, my frequent Tele player:

[​IMG]

Telesphere, a220, xafinity and 2 others like this.

5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    Agree, just be prepared that the setup will likely change over the next couple years, and it will need some neck/fret adjustments.

6. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast
    Congratulations now just play that thing. They are great guitars, mine a 2016 Affinity Telecaster in Arctic White, hasn't let me down yet. As others have said it may need adjustments in the future, depending on humidity the frets may "sprout" becoming "sharp" as the neck shrinks which typically occurs if you're in a "dry" locale or have air conditioning/heating system.

The best (and cheapest) upgrades you can make are swapping the zinc bridge/string saddles for all steel GFS ones (better "sustain"), replacing the plastic input jack plate with a steel one (an inadvertent step on guitar cable will crack the plastic one if you're not careful) and adding strap locks. Some upgrade the tuning machines I haven't found the need to do so, they hold "tune" well.

As for the pickups, I love the factory ones. I made the mistake of upgrading the 3-way switch, pots, cap and wiring to all USA and it definitely changed the tone and not for the better (made it a bit "dull") and am preparing to reinstall the original parts.

Below are some links for the parts I mentioned. If you go with the GFS steel saddles you will have to reuse the factory saddle height screws as the GFS ones are a bit too tall.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Upgrade...its-import-or-USA-Trems-Set-of-Six_p_773.html

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Rectangular-curved-output-plate-chrome-FREE-jack_p_655.html

Route67 likes this.

7. bchaffin72

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    I wholeheartedly agree with both.

I don't have the steel saddles on mine,since it's now a vintage bridge, but I DO have a set on my Affinity strat. They are a great part.

And if these guitars have one glaring weakness,it's definitely that plastic jack plate. The sooner it goes,the better, IMO.

Lead2Fan likes this.

8. Ron OBrien

Ron OBrien TDPRI Member

Nov 12, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for the nice feedback. My first inclination was to mod the Affinity Tele with upgraded PUPs, locking tuners, etc. However, right off the wall, the PUPs sound terrific and the intonation, setup, and action is dialed-in as well. The neck and fret dressing seem good to go. I may refinish the neck with a vintage amber tint. Although the neck has a smooth playability, it looks a bit pale for my liking. But who knows, may just leave well enough alone.

xafinity and cloink50 like this.

9. jamesmcurtismusic

jamesmcurtismusic TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2017
    San Diego County
    Is that all just creative staining? Good job my friend.

10. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Alabama
    The Affinity Telecaster comes with a 5 screw bridge that isn't great but better than that bridge. They also come with a 4 screw jack plate, yours looks to be a football.

And don't even get me started on that body. Lol

goyo4400 likes this.

11. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast
    The only regret with my Squier Affinity Tele is not getting it in Lake Placid Blue (LPB). I saw an LPB on the peg in my local shop a few weeks after buying mine, the photos/pics in catalogs and online don't do that (LPB) finish justice, it's spectacular.

12. hippychip

hippychip TDPRI Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Florida
    Mine is a 2009 BSB---the only thing I changed was the defective selector switch---already had a pro setup before I got it so it was good to go![​IMG]

13. FattoneTele

FattoneTele Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Jena, LA
    I love mine! Only 'mod' I've done is turning around the control panel. I've also stripped the pickguard screw holes from constantly raising and lowering the neck pup. Thinking of sanding the neck to make it slicker.

14. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast

You have two choice after filling the stripped pickguard holes with round toothpicks and wood glue. Either drill holes in the pickguard right above the neck pickup height adjustment screws then just drop a phillips-head screwdriver through the hole to adjust neck pickup's height or drill the pickguard and mount the pickup to the pickguard as featured on most Teles.

FattoneTele likes this.

15. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Ron, where is your pictures? I always love showing off my 2006 BSB. Played it last night with my Church Praise band and it came through like a Champ. Platefire AS full#2.jpg AS body.jpg

16. Brian Wright

Brian Wright Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    I have a 2016 model in race green. It is my number 2 which is saying alot because my number one is a Gibson LP. Amazing little guitar for the money.

17. Mickey slick

Mickey slick TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2017
    US
    I

18. Mickey slick

Mickey slick TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2017
    US
    I had a bsb,
    and the only problem was the volume pot was not very good. It was either on or off no taper no rolling it back to clean up and the high E string saddle screw kept falling off not good

19. bchaffin72

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    I have noticed that on some cheap pots. Worst offender for me was my Affinity strat. The original tone controls were little more than rotary on/off switches. Full tone at 10 or full roll off, hitting right about 1. Not much in between.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.