Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Importance of the Subject line in your Post ! Please Read

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by TDPRI, Apr 12, 2005.

1. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    Ok, unlike the other forums, after posting messages here the Subject line becomes critical. People can't remember which post they've already visited because as people respond with comments it brings the post back up to the top of the page.

So, instead of saying "Here's my stuff" as a topic. I think it would be good to be more formal and specific.

1. How about listing the name of the song listed.

2. How about posting direct links to the song and not to a page with 11 different songs.

3. And like I requested in the first PLEASE READ post on this subject it would be good if you try to classify the type of music.

So a post Subject line might read:
    "Name of my new song" Country-blues

Does this make sense?

I'm seriously thinking of making it so you can post but no one can reply to your post. This way, they'll be in chronalogical order of when they were posted. And an old post can't be bumped to the top of the page by someone posting a response that says, "great song."

I've made this a poll on that issue -- what do you think?
    Paul Green
    PS For all you posters that can please hit the EDIT button of your post and change the subject line to something much more descriptive... like I suggested. This isn't a requirement, but mearly a suggestion.

Doug 54 likes this.

2. photoweborama

photoweborama Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm all for what Paul wants to do, but I'm a bit confused.
    I thought the point of this was to post a link and then get feedback on our songs.

But I get confused about many things. Ask my wife! :lol:

3. TDPRI

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    That may be some peoples "point" but mine was just to make the material available for others to hear and enjoy. I'm not sure everyone is asking for a critique.

I could be the one that is seeing this wrong, though. Which is why I made this a poll.

Paul Green

4. timgreene

timgreene Tele-Afflicted

Jul 9, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I think you should let it go for awhile, and see how it develops.

Of course the feedback, may get ugly, once someone actually criticizes someones recording.

5. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    First off, a question: is it possible to still allow responses without the new post automatically bumping the thread to the top? In other words, some method of turning off the "reorder by latest date" chronological function just for this forum? (I realize it may or may not be either possible or practical, I just wanted to ask...)

I like the idea of people being able to make comments. It's good to get feedback, IMO. Of course, as pointed out, no one has yet posted any "THAT sucked" comments... :rolleyes: It's also nice to be able to ask questions about the recording and get responses in the same thread.

I definitely think a limit of a link to ONE piece per post would be a good idea. I'd love to hear everything everyone has to offer, but listening is a "real time" activity, and there are only so many hours in a day. :eek:

About titles: some people's pieces don't have actual names, so it would be hard to make that a requirement. :?

But the main thing is, I think it would help a LOT if people would merely read and follow the simple instructions – but I also know how well they already follow the instructions in BIG RED LETTERS about photo width (i.e, about <u>half</u> the time... maybe). No matter how many times you tell people to put a descriptor in the title, they're still going to put up "Here's my stuff" posts... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I dunno, I don't have any real solutions, but you asked what I thought, so you got it. ;-) CS

6. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Admin Post
    I really like both getting and giving responses to songs. Maybe Chris' suggestion about disabling whatever pushes threads back up can work...

I agree completely about putting song titles and/or specific descriptions in the headers, and I also agree completely that one song at a time is a good idea!

And I'm grateful for your work, Paul!

Cheers, Tim

7. TDPRI

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    Just to end that speculation... it is NOT possible to turn off the reordering of posts upon the addition of a response.

Maybe I'm worrying this too much.

Sorry, but I had some complaints that folks were getting mixed up between new posted links and "older" posts getting bumped back up to the top.

Paul Green

8. photoweborama

photoweborama Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Any way you want it.

Well I think it is great, no matter how you want to do it. I for one never flame anyone. Especially when they post their music. There are good points to any music. And it takes a lot of guts to post it in the first place.

There are enough sites out there, like Garageband.com that will take your song and rip you to shreds. I don't feel that that is the spirit that this forum was created.

Actually, I've found everything I've heard here to be really good. Some lack a bit in recording technique, but musically, everything was top notch.

But again, anyway you want to do it is fine with me.

9. moondoggie999

moondoggie999 Tele-Holic

Oct 7, 2003
    Livermore, CA
    Maybe to keep it ordered, you could turn off responses and if someone wants feedback, it could be done thru PM?

10. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    I think that, as an artist, to have someone listen to your work and post a response FAR out weighs the fact that some folks can't remember witch link they have or haven't listened to already.

It would help if, when posting a song link, they have a direct link to the song and have the name and "sort of style" of the song listed in post title.
    Maybe even let us know if it will be Tele or No Tele.

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody's around, does it make a sound?-If someone post a song on the forum and nobody can reply, did anyone listen to it?

11. MANX

MANX Tele-Meister

I agree...

With the sentiment that there should be response posts. I for one like to get feedback if I post a song.... I dont know about the bump issue, thats a tough one.

Maybe a bi-weekly showcase or something? Where song posts have an expiration date...so that they dont sit on the forum for years. That way new material is always being presented. However, that presents a problem for folks with one link to a list of tunes.

12. EMan

EMan Tele-Holic

Apr 6, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    I agree with making the link to the mp3..I have a dial-up, and it sure saves time to just 'copy shortcut' to my WMP.

I als like the idea of getting/giving feedback/comments.

I also like the idea of having a possible expiration date on a posted tune...this wou;d keep the number of selections less confusing.

However, eventually, the posting quantities will get slower...after the majority posts their current recordings. After that, it's possible that the posts may not be that prolific.

13. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    I think it should just be left the way it is. It's simply another forum. People will work it out.

14. randy_mc

randy_mc Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2004
    Memphis
    I think people should be able to reply.

It could be helpful to the player, and to the listener as well. Constructive feedback, shared experience, all that's good for the music.

15. Harrison

Harrison Tele-Meister

Feb 28, 2005
    Indiana
    If we want feedback on our music, why don't we just leave a note on the post that says, "please PM me" or something like that?

16. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

How aboutt more tech info on the equipment used?

My first visit to the Twangers Forum - some cool and interesting stuff.

May I suggest that posters describe the set up a little? "A Telecaster bridge into a TS9 and a Princeton Reverb with the tremelo up" - something short and sweet.

17. Rightsideup

Rightsideup TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I like it the way it is personally. I think flaming is just wrong, ya know if you don't have something nice to say...... Anyroad, the PM idea is good, but I like it the way it is.

18. jdfoosh357

jdfoosh357 Tele-Holic

Oct 7, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I like it the way it is. I'd think most people would want feedback, and we can always scroll down to view the older stuff. $0.02

19. sequencepro

sequencepro Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2005
    Savannah Georgia
    Leave it like it is, please

Being a relatively new member, I like being able to hear and read the old posts. And the whole reason to share your music is to see how it effects others. Please don't change it.

And THANK YOU for all the hard work you do to bring this wonderful site to us. Even if we don't say it often enough, we REALLY appreciate the effort you put forth, and the fellowship, the knowledge, and the entertainment that this site brings us. (Even though it gives me GAS!) I login and enjoy it EVERY DAY!

20. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Tele-Meister

Aug 9, 2008
    northeastern USA
    +1 on all the above !!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.