Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Import tax????

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by AndySloan, Jul 10, 2013.

1. AndySloan

AndySloan TDPRI Member

Hi

Been away for a while but am back.
    I have just bought a 1971 tele from a dealer in New York. It's being shipped by DHL from the seller.
    Can anyone shed any light on the deal with import tax?

Andy

2. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Yeh, its when you live somewhere (in your case not specified!) and you import something, and then you have to pay tax because you didn't buy it locally and pay local tax on it.

3. AndySloan

AndySloan TDPRI Member

image-3326083513.jpg

This is the guitar. Worth every penny.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. AndySloan

AndySloan TDPRI Member

Apologies. I live in the UK.

6. Tonemonkey

I've had a guitar and pedals come from the US. The guitar was sent USPS so delivered through Parcelforce to their local depot. I tracked it and called the company with my tracking number, went to the depot and paid the customs duty owable, which was about 10/15 % of the declared value on the Green Sticker the vendor placed on the parcel, walked out with my guitar. I've done the same with pedals, except paid over the phone.

I understand that DHL will pay the Customs Duty and send you an invoice (by letter!), this adds painful delay on your NGD.
    I would track it, ring up when it hits your depot, with the tracking/account/waybill number passed to you by the vendor, pay it over the phone or online using the Acc No as the reference.

7. The Cooler King

The Cooler King TDPRI Member

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but if you're trying to figure out what the import duty might be, you may find this useful:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

Quick disclaimer: I stumbled accross that site and even though it looks pretty handy, I can't vouch for it being 100% accurate. Perhaps somebody else knows whether it is or not.

8. Tonemonkey

Ouch .... that's steeper than I paid; not sure you will be liable for that VAT on a "2nd hand" guitar.

Andy, if it hasn't shipped already, check on the value ascribed to the instrument on the package. ;)

9. AndySloan

AndySloan TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone.

I'm not entirely sure that I have to pay tax on a 2nd hand instrument.
    We shall see

10. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

You might be lucky but I've imported both new and used and have had to pay the full whack on either. 20% vat, 3% duty plus the handling charge. And that is calculated on the cost of the guitar AND the shipping.

11. Vladimir

Vladimir Tele-Afflicted

Yep, that's how it works here too. You should make sure the U.S. seller doesn't charge you the sales tax (around 7%) so at least you don't get screwed on both sides of the Atlantic.

12. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Oh if only that were true.

Of course you pay VAT on a second hand guitar - have you ever been in a shop that sells second hand guitars? Do they charge VAT? Same rules apply if you buy from overseas.

You pay import duty (based on the declared value of the guitar - 3.7% for an electric guitar last time I checked) plus VAT (based on the value of the guitar AND cost of shipping currently 20%) and you will be charged a handling fee by that postal carrier (this is usually a flat fee of between £8 and £15 depending on the carrier).

You can try getting the sender to put a low value on the item but if the item is insured you will only be able to claim insurance for the lower value if it gets damaged and also the customs people have wised up about the value of "old" guitars and have experts both at passenger border controls (airports etc.) and also the mail hubs and there's a very good chance they will realise what's going on and charge you on the basis of what the guitar is worth, not what you paid for it. This is also true if you happen to really get a great price - duties are still charged on what the item is worth if that's significantly higher.

13. jd0272

jd0272 Tele-Meister

Factor it as 25%. Also, make sure you are being charged on the Sterling value, not the Dollar value on the package, as the dollar value will be higher in print.

I've argued the toss before and had tem recalculate it to sterling. Not so much about the paying of it, just the flamin' cheek of it.

And yes, unless it vintage proper, you'll be subject to Customs. If you can prove it falls into the vintage instrument category, I understand the tariff is much lower.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.